New to this mess....

This is my first post so hope I am doing this right. Been lurking since June 1. Hubby diagnosed on 5-29. Stage IV colon cancer. I have few questions...first one is the CEA that you all talk about the same thing as a "cancer number" referred to by the Dr? I just forgot the other questions I had. Guess I'll have to wait til they circle back around. You have all given me hope since the diagnosis as I didnt think it was possible to "survive" stage IV until I read some of the posts on this sight. Thank You.

Comments

• Semira
    Semira Member Posts: 381 Member
    HI Bailee
    welcome to this board and to a journey nobody wants to join. You'll find here lots of wisdom and information and I'm sure, others will chime in to answer your questions. Because english isn't my native language this medical talk is still difficult for me.

But I at least wanted to send you a hug because I really know how you are feeling. I'm somehow in the sames shoes than you (husband dx stage IV in Nov 2011) and still remember this overwhelming fear of the first days and weeks. You will learn to manage this and take one step a time and all the great people on this board will do their best to help you.

Hugs from germany
    Petra
  • abackhou
    abackhou Member Posts: 77 Member
    CEA
    Hi Bailee,

This is from Wiki:::"CEA measurement is mainly used as a tumor marker to identify recurrences after surgical resection, or localize cancer spread though dosage of biological fluids. The CEA blood test is not reliable for diagnosing cancer or as a screening test for early detection of cancer. Most types of cancer do not produce a high CEA. Elevated CEA levels should return to normal after successful surgical resection, or within 6 weeks of starting treatment if cancer treatment is successful. "

Recently my CEA has gone from 29 up to 120, which indicates Colon cancer disease progression. Yes it is still possible to survive for long periods.

Regards, Andrew
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    CEA count
    Yes, CEA count is what your husband's onc is calling the Cancer number. Mine was over 2,000 and is currently 3.2. Mine was diagnosed as stage IV terminal with 4 to 6 months to live with chemo. I am still here 2 1/2 years later,surviving so far and surviving well, with plans far into the future.
    When you have your questions back in mind, feel free to ask them one at a time, or in massive amounts, we don't have all the answers, but we do have a ton of "been there, done that and this is how it affected me" advice, there is a wealth of how chemo's, surgeries etc., affected us, we have had many different experiences with the same things, but we all have one thing in common, hope. May you keep that hope and experience many more years with your husband.
    Winter Marie
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Welcome
    Sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis but like a lot of other people in your husband's position they have been here for years, living their life, working, taking care of grandbabies, kids and more. Right now you will have a whirlwind of questions and thoughts and you will forget most of it but this board is here 24/7 so when you remember that questions, just start a post and someone will get back with you. Welcome again.

Kim
  • here4lfe
    here4lfe Member Posts: 306 Member
    Welcome
    Sorry you had to find this board, but take comfort in knowing you're not alone. I have not heard of a cancer number. There is an ECOG performance status, which is used to characterize overall status of the patient, 0-5. The CEA is a tumor marker, which is a good indicator for some and not for others.

Best