Large Hard Lump after Mastectomy

Options
Rhonda Mohr
Rhonda Mohr Member Posts: 7
Hello. I had a bilateral mastectomy on April 3rd. Stage 0 DCIS, no chemo, rads or hormones so I am very lucky! For several weeks after my drains were removed I had to have my right side aspirated because of fluid build-up. However, no fluid buildup the past month so on Tuesday of last week my doctor "released" me. I woke up Friday with a large (size of my palm) lump on the right side right under my incision. It is not sloshy like my other fluid build-ups. It hurts and feels a little warm to the touch but it isn't red. Anyone else had anything like this before? I have an appt later this week to have it looked at but I find that the doctors don't always like to give a name to things like this. I want a diagnosis and it would help to know what it could be before I go in.

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    I am sorry Rhonda that this
    I am sorry Rhonda that this has even happened. I had a lumpectomy so I can't help much in regards to explaining what it could be.

Hopefully someone here has and can help to ease your mind.

Good luck this week and post to update us.

Hugs, Diane
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    DianeBC said:

I am sorry Rhonda that this
    I am sorry Rhonda that this has even happened. I had a lumpectomy so I can't help much in regards to explaining what it could be.

Hopefully someone here has and can help to ease your mind.

Good luck this week and post to update us.

Hugs, Diane

I wonder if you might have
    I wonder if you might have an infection. If so, I am sure your onco can put you on antibiotics and clear it right up.

I will watch for an update.

Debby
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    DebbyM said:

I wonder if you might have
    I wonder if you might have an infection. If so, I am sure your onco can put you on antibiotics and clear it right up.

I will watch for an update.

Debby

First thing in the morning, please call
    your surgeon. Get in to see him/her as soon as possible. Just my suggestion..
    it is what I would do! I did have a bilateral mastectomy - due to my DCIS,
    HER2 status. Chemo was also part of my treatment.

Please let us know how you are doing .

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • Rhonda Mohr
    Rhonda Mohr Member Posts: 7
    Options
    VickiSam said:

First thing in the morning, please call
    your surgeon. Get in to see him/her as soon as possible. Just my suggestion..
    it is what I would do! I did have a bilateral mastectomy - due to my DCIS,
    HER2 status. Chemo was also part of my treatment.

Please let us know how you are doing .

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

I just saw the dr and he aspirated 110 cc's of blood from the site. Yikes! Dr ordered blood work to make sure nothing weird is happening with blood. I hope it doesn't come back! Thanks for you responses.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

I just saw the dr and he aspirated 110 cc's of blood from the site. Yikes! Dr ordered blood work to make sure nothing weird is happening with blood. I hope it doesn't come back! Thanks for you responses.

Scary ... !!
    I am glad you had the opportunity .. to see your Doctor .. aspirated 110 cc's of
    blood from your site -- now that is something to investigate, and get some
    additional information regarding the blood build up .. sounds a little hinky --

Just my option ..

Strength, Courage and Hope for a CURE.

Vicki Sam
  • NancyJac
    NancyJac Member Posts: 91
    Options
    I had a couple of fluid
    I had a couple of fluid pockets (seromas) after my surgery as well. Had the largest one aspirated but it filled right up again. Mine has always been hard rather than sloshy, but not quite as big as a palm....maybe half that size. The fluid in mine was very thin and sort of a light brown color, blood mixed with serous fluid. Mine also feels sore and warm and red, but that is mostly because it is in the field of the radiation I have just finished. Since yours is more blood filled, sounds a bit more like a hematoma than a seroma. A hemotoma is a pocket of blood that has leaked from a vessel and pooled in surrounding tissue, usually from an injury or surgery.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Good that you got in so that
    Good that you got in so that your doctor could take care of you. Praying that everything will be alright for you!

Hugs, Megan
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    NancyJac said:

I had a couple of fluid
    I had a couple of fluid pockets (seromas) after my surgery as well. Had the largest one aspirated but it filled right up again. Mine has always been hard rather than sloshy, but not quite as big as a palm....maybe half that size. The fluid in mine was very thin and sort of a light brown color, blood mixed with serous fluid. Mine also feels sore and warm and red, but that is mostly because it is in the field of the radiation I have just finished. Since yours is more blood filled, sounds a bit more like a hematoma than a seroma. A hemotoma is a pocket of blood that has leaked from a vessel and pooled in surrounding tissue, usually from an injury or surgery.

Wishing you good luck on
    Wishing you good luck on your blood work! Let us know what you find out!

Hugs, Leeza