MDAnderson ??

La.Grammy
La.Grammy Member Posts: 35
My husband has an appointment at MDAnderson this week for testing.
He has stage 4 colon cancer that has spread to his lymph nodes & bone.
He has gone through all of the standard treatment for stage 4 & his doctor wants to see if mdanderson can come up with something else.
Those of you that have gone down there can you give us any tips on what we should expect.
Thanks
Jeannie

Comments

• Kenny H.
    Kenny H. Member Posts: 502 Member
    Its massive (like a city
    Its massive (like a city itself) Have been going there every 3 months for scans and Dr appts and will be getting surgery there to remove Lung mets the 17th of Jul. They are real aggressive and advanced on treatments (My local Dr told me was inoperable)

Will you be driving there? If so take advantage of the free valet parking for your 1st visit. As big as it is they move you thru fairly quickly, (over 100 ppl getting blood draws at a time) Except prep time for scans there & the scan itself take awhile but you get results the next day. They work around the clock, was there till 9pm getting my 1st scan. Try to sched appt times early if you can.

Its fairly easy to find your way around the hospitals and there is ppl all over to help you if you get lost. Just pay attention to what elevater you need to take and blg ect.

There are several hotels within 3-5 miles that offer free shuttle service also. Be sure to ask for a medical discount on your room to. There is a hotel connected to the main hosp building also (skywalk) but rates there were very high so we stayed a few miles away.

After a couple trips there you'll find it easier to get around and learn your way to everything. Dont forget to bring any prev scans done with you on a disc format for your Dr also... Good luck, I'll be there on the 16th.
  • La.Grammy
    Kenny H. said:

Its massive (like a city
    Its massive (like a city itself) Have been going there every 3 months for scans and Dr appts and will be getting surgery there to remove Lung mets the 17th of Jul. They are real aggressive and advanced on treatments (My local Dr told me was inoperable)

Will you be driving there? If so take advantage of the free valet parking for your 1st visit. As big as it is they move you thru fairly quickly, (over 100 ppl getting blood draws at a time) Except prep time for scans there & the scan itself take awhile but you get results the next day. They work around the clock, was there till 9pm getting my 1st scan. Try to sched appt times early if you can.

Its fairly easy to find your way around the hospitals and there is ppl all over to help you if you get lost. Just pay attention to what elevater you need to take and blg ect.

There are several hotels within 3-5 miles that offer free shuttle service also. Be sure to ask for a medical discount on your room to. There is a hotel connected to the main hosp building also (skywalk) but rates there were very high so we stayed a few miles away.

After a couple trips there you'll find it easier to get around and learn your way to everything. Dont forget to bring any prev scans done with you on a disc format for your Dr also... Good luck, I'll be there on the 16th.

Thanks Kenny H. for the
    Thanks Kenny H. for the info.
    Yes we wll be driving there from louisiana.
    Our hotel is 4 blocks away. His 1st appointment is early Wednesday morning.
    Don't know how many days we will be there.
    We appreciate the info.
  • lizdeli
    lizdeli Member Posts: 569 Member
    La.Grammy said:

Thanks Kenny H. for the
    Thanks Kenny H. for the info.
    Yes we wll be driving there from louisiana.
    Our hotel is 4 blocks away. His 1st appointment is early Wednesday morning.
    Don't know how many days we will be there.
    We appreciate the info.

MD Anderson
    Agree with Kenny, it is a city within a city. Very large, several buidlings. You most likely will be in the main building on the 7th floor for initial appointments with colorectal oncologists, etc. Not sure who your doctor is, but for some doctors there is quite a wait. CT scans take the longest. Bring something to read. Also, although it is very hot in Houston in the summer, the temperature in MDA can be cold so bring a sweater or light jacket. They have blankets if you get cold and they heat them up. I go every 3 months as well and stay at the Best Western on Main Street. The medical rate runs between $89.00 and $109.00 a night. They have a shuttle to and from MDA. The Rotary House is attached to MDA by a bridge. But I think it runs around $150 a night. Cafeteria not too bad, decent variety. Don't know if you are bringing your husband's scans from elsewhere, but likely MDA will want to do their own scans and tests. Results are usually the next day. They are aggressive and do have clinical trials.

Do you know which Doctor you will be seeing?

I wish you the best.
    Liz
  • La.Grammy
    lizdeli said:

MD Anderson
    Agree with Kenny, it is a city within a city. Very large, several buidlings. You most likely will be in the main building on the 7th floor for initial appointments with colorectal oncologists, etc. Not sure who your doctor is, but for some doctors there is quite a wait. CT scans take the longest. Bring something to read. Also, although it is very hot in Houston in the summer, the temperature in MDA can be cold so bring a sweater or light jacket. They have blankets if you get cold and they heat them up. I go every 3 months as well and stay at the Best Western on Main Street. The medical rate runs between $89.00 and $109.00 a night. They have a shuttle to and from MDA. The Rotary House is attached to MDA by a bridge. But I think it runs around $150 a night. Cafeteria not too bad, decent variety. Don't know if you are bringing your husband's scans from elsewhere, but likely MDA will want to do their own scans and tests. Results are usually the next day. They are aggressive and do have clinical trials.

Do you know which Doctor you will be seeing?

I wish you the best.
    Liz

Thanks for the info.
    He is

Thanks for the info.
    He is seeing dr kee tomorrow.
    Thanks