need support

k44454445
k44454445 Member Posts: 494
i have metastatic colon cancer in the peritoneal, right ovary. & abdomen ( 2 tumors 1.3cm & 3.6cm). doctor not giving me much hope. with chemo treatment he said 3 months to 2 years to live. that seems quick! have an appt at ohio state next week to see about hipec. any thoughts on it?

Comments

• mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    K4
    K4,

I have not had personal experience with HIPEC as my tumors were confined to my liver. I have read through the entire and been following a blog at http://www.wunderglo.com/ of a young woman who had a pretty extensive debulking surgery followed by HIPEC. You may find some of the questions you didn't know you had answered at her blog.

With respect to a timeline.... I had a doctor tell me 4 years ago that I had 22-24 months. Turns out he was wrong. I am here now and have been in remission 3 years and 4 months. Doctors are not the last word on your "time." Don't drive yourself crazy over what he said and just make getting second opinions and other options a priority.

Best wishes,
    Amy
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Support
    The doctor doesn't know when you will die any more than I do. Your second opinion may be quite different. Just live it a day at a time.
    Best of luck to you.
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    You need another opinion at a cancer center.
    My cancer (Appendix in origin) had encompassed my ovary, and seeded throughout my abdomen. I had multiple tumors everywhere. My surgeon removed them all, and I had EPIC (not heated IP chemo, but multiple rounds of IP chemo.) 5 years later, I'm very healthy, living a normal life.

You need someone who can look at those tumors and remove them.
  • k44454445
    Amy,Danker & Abrub,thank
    Amy,Danker & Abrub,
    thank you for responding as i have been feeling awful. we found out june 28 & reading most internet places made me feel like i am not going to see tomorrow. all of you made me cry with feelings of hope!!! it means so much when you guys take your time & reach out to help someone you do not know. thank you for giving me hope!
    judy
  • k44454445
    abrub said:

My cancer (Appendix in origin) had encompassed my ovary, and seeded throughout my abdomen. I had multiple tumors everywhere. My surgeon removed them all, and I had EPIC (not heated IP chemo, but multiple rounds of IP chemo.) 5 years later, I'm very healthy, living a normal life.

where did you have
    where did you have treatment? wonderful that it worked for you!
  • k44454445
    abrub said:

where did you have
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    k44454445 said:

where did you have

I was treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering
    I was treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. Dr. Philip Paty was my surgeon (there are others here who adore him as much as I do.)

After being given my "death sentence," Dr. Paty gave me hope. He has very long term plans for me, as does my oncologist (who left MSK 18 months ago.) I'm expected to attend his son's wedding. His son was born when I was diagnosed, so we're figuring at least another 20 years before the wedding!

Alice
  • k44454445
    abrub said:

I was treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering
    I was treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. Dr. Philip Paty was my surgeon (there are others here who adore him as much as I do.)

After being given my "death sentence," Dr. Paty gave me hope. He has very long term plans for me, as does my oncologist (who left MSK 18 months ago.) I'm expected to attend his son's wedding. His son was born when I was diagnosed, so we're figuring at least another 20 years before the wedding!

Alice

thank you & enjoy that
    thank you & enjoy that wedding in 20+ years!!!
    judy
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    k44454445 said:

Amy,Danker & Abrub,thank
    Amy,Danker & Abrub,
    thank you for responding as i have been feeling awful. we found out june 28 & reading most internet places made me feel like i am not going to see tomorrow. all of you made me cry with feelings of hope!!! it means so much when you guys take your time & reach out to help someone you do not know. thank you for giving me hope!
    judy

Hi Judy
    Sorry you have to be here, but there is a lot of good advice and experiences.
    Since you have an appt. at Ohio State, see what they say. If you are not satisfied, I would look into having a consult with abrub's (Alice) doctor in NYC.
    The reason I am saying this, is that I also travel out-of-state for treatment. Unfortunately, I travel every other week.....definitely not easy.
    But, if there is a chance you would ever end up having procedures/surgeries, etc, done at Sloan, there are a couple of places you could possibly stay for free. There is also a service "Corporate Angels" that may be able to help out with air travel. Also, I think you can get a free round air trip through the American Cancer Society, once per year.
    Anyway, you may have a good consult at OSU (hope that you do), but if you did want to compare notes, I would definitely look into Alice's advice.
    Take care, keep us posted.
  • k44454445
    janie1 said:

Hi Judy
    Sorry you have to be here, but there is a lot of good advice and experiences.
    Since you have an appt. at Ohio State, see what they say. If you are not satisfied, I would look into having a consult with abrub's (Alice) doctor in NYC.
    The reason I am saying this, is that I also travel out-of-state for treatment. Unfortunately, I travel every other week.....definitely not easy.
    But, if there is a chance you would ever end up having procedures/surgeries, etc, done at Sloan, there are a couple of places you could possibly stay for free. There is also a service "Corporate Angels" that may be able to help out with air travel. Also, I think you can get a free round air trip through the American Cancer Society, once per year.
    Anyway, you may have a good consult at OSU (hope that you do), but if you did want to compare notes, I would definitely look into Alice's advice.
    Take care, keep us posted.

hi janie 1,
    thank you for

hi janie 1,
    thank you for the advise. i am getting a more positive outlook because of the support all of you have given me. this is a hard journey but it is easier knowing i have people to talk to on here. good luck & keep me posted on how you are.
    judy
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Howdy K4
    I'm very sorry that you've been diagnosed, but you've come to a great place to find help and answers. What the others have already said is so true. Getting additional professional opinions may very likely give you a much better prognosis. Also, doctors will usually give the worst case scenario, so take that time frame with a very large grain of salt. Attitude is very important in this fight so keep telling yourself that there's no way this thing is going to get the best of you. Something to keep in mind is that no two cancers are the same; ask a lot of questions of your onc and let them know of any changes, no matter no small they may seem.

Good luck in your fight and God Bless,

Doc/Ray
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Judy
    I was given 4 to 6 months to live IF I did chemo. I did the chemo, it has been 2 1/2 years now since they told me that, and I'm currently NED (no evidence of disease). I am here very much alive, very active, going to college full time, babysitting for one of my grandchildren, working part time. Life is good. Don't believe in the timeline, we've learned that they don't mean a thing and they have some nerve taking away our "hope" especially when they are so wrong.
    Winter Marie
  • k44454445
    Doc_Hawk said:

Howdy K4
    I'm very sorry that you've been diagnosed, but you've come to a great place to find help and answers. What the others have already said is so true. Getting additional professional opinions may very likely give you a much better prognosis. Also, doctors will usually give the worst case scenario, so take that time frame with a very large grain of salt. Attitude is very important in this fight so keep telling yourself that there's no way this thing is going to get the best of you. Something to keep in mind is that no two cancers are the same; ask a lot of questions of your onc and let them know of any changes, no matter no small they may seem.

Good luck in your fight and God Bless,

Doc/Ray

hi Doc/Ray
    thank you for the so true words & advice. especially about the doctors. what you said has given me focus on this overwhelming situation & i am ready to fight! take care & wishing you the best.
    judy
  • k44454445

Judy
    I was given 4 to 6 months to live IF I did chemo. I did the chemo, it has been 2 1/2 years now since they told me that, and I'm currently NED (no evidence of disease). I am here very much alive, very active, going to college full time, babysitting for one of my grandchildren, working part time. Life is good. Don't believe in the timeline, we've learned that they don't mean a thing and they have some nerve taking away our "hope" especially when they are so wrong.
    Winter Marie

hi Winter Marie
    thank you so much for telling me about you. wow-it is wonderful how you have proved them wrong about having 4 to 6 months! and to have such an active life is beyond words. one of the many things i take away from here is that a positive attitude is important. yes i agree that it is wrong of them to take away our hope which is what happened to me friday. good luck in your busy life & stay NED!
    judy
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Second Opinion
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I would get a second opinion and third opinion. Oncologists have different results using different treatments. I know if I had stayed with the first oncologist I consulted I would not be here today. She had the most carefree lackadaisical attitude. Then charged me the most for her consultation!

When we spoke to oncologists we asked how many patients have you seen with similar cancer, and what was the outcome. Several Oncologists told us that everyone is different, and we moved on. We found an oncologist whom told us everyone is different and we vary the treatment to meet each person's needs, and our success rate is.... We wanted a positive Doc whom could find the answer.

Our Mental health, Diet, and exercise have a lot to do with our treatment. Make sure you are the best prepared also. The treatments are a journey and a new normal for a short period of time.

You will be in our thoughts, keep everyone updated. This site helped me keep positive, and others told me what to expect. We are all afraid of the unknown(s), by encountering less unknowns kept me more positive.

Best Always, mike
  • k44454445
    thxmiker said:

Second Opinion
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I would get a second opinion and third opinion. Oncologists have different results using different treatments. I know if I had stayed with the first oncologist I consulted I would not be here today. She had the most carefree lackadaisical attitude. Then charged me the most for her consultation!

When we spoke to oncologists we asked how many patients have you seen with similar cancer, and what was the outcome. Several Oncologists told us that everyone is different, and we moved on. We found an oncologist whom told us everyone is different and we vary the treatment to meet each person's needs, and our success rate is.... We wanted a positive Doc whom could find the answer.

Our Mental health, Diet, and exercise have a lot to do with our treatment. Make sure you are the best prepared also. The treatments are a journey and a new normal for a short period of time.

You will be in our thoughts, keep everyone updated. This site helped me keep positive, and others told me what to expect. We are all afraid of the unknown(s), by encountering less unknowns kept me more positive.

Best Always, mike

mike
    mike thank you for your response & very good advice. i agree with you about the mental health,diet & exercise & to have that re-inforced on here really does help! i appreciate everyone on this site for helping others as this is a journey where positive support is needed.
    wishing you the best
    judy
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Judy
    Hugs you have been given great advice so far, I am so glad you are here.
  • k44454445
    Sonia32 said:

Judy
    Hugs you have been given great advice so far, I am so glad you are here.

sonia32
    thanks