Question for wig wearers

slamb58
slamb58 Member Posts: 31
I just recently started FOLFIRI, and my hair started falling out in clumps, so I shaved it. I had purchased a couple of wigs just in case. After wearing them for 3 weeks now, I've noticed I've got little red bumps all over my head, they seem to be worst in the back. Could these be heat bumps?? They also itch a little bit. Has anyone experienced this, and if so do you know any tips that will get rid of these. I only wear wigs during the week when I'm working. However I don't wear a wig cap. I'm wondering if that is what I'm doing wrong. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    sorry to hear
    Sorry to hear this. I also wear a wig. I haven't experienced what you are describing. It does sound like heat bumps....For what it is worth, I don't wear a wig cap either. Like you, I only wear my wig when I go out. At home, I am "free". I wash my scalp with regular shampoo and wash my wig periodically...you probably do the same...I can't think of anything else, I'm afraid -- good luck.

Tara
  • dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    i haven't bugun to wear my
    i haven't bugun to wear my wig yet however I did get the itchy bumps when I start Folfiri and added vectibix.. I thought it was the loosing of the hair that was causing it.. they hae subsided for now.. maybe ask your doc..
    to help in the mean time.. put some head and shoulders on your scalp prior to showering and let it sit for about 10 minutes.. this help me lots and is what my doc recommended.
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Hi
    While I don't wear a wig, I thought I would chime in anyway.

Are you still shaving your head or has all the hair fallen out now?

If you are still shaving, it could be that which is causing the problem. The back might be worst as that seems to be the place where our hair is thickest. If you or a friend are doing the shaving it might be that a change in the lubricant you use might be in order. Also you might try using a new razor each time so that you get the best cutting edge. Also washing the scalp each day with something mild may also help.

If you are not still shaving it might be the heat which is causing the bumps. Even though you are probably in air conditioned spaces most of the time, even a bit of sweat while waiting for the car to cool off can cause irritation. A wig cap might help to wick this moisture away.

You might want to contact your local American Cancer Society for a referral to one of the groups that work with them regarding wigs. I am sure they have come across this before and will have a solution for you.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    wigless
    Like Donna and Marie, I don't wear a wig. But, when I started on Victibix, I did get red, painful bumps on the back of my head. Ironitican had made my hair start to fall out, so I shaved it and it was several months before they started the Victibix.
  • WinneyPooh
    WinneyPooh Member Posts: 318
    No wig no more
    I was wearing a wig for a while and it ichy and I felt uncomfortable, like people knew it was a wig, so this summer I decided to not wear one any more, most of the time I just go around bald headed and this is fine, some of my hair has grown back not sure why but I guess it feels if I have faith in it it will try. Well guess what no one cares that I am bald, and most people think it is really great. I don't look funny and people accept you. I don't know but maybe you should try it.

my photo was when i had hair. now i look like i have a buzz cut but not a very full one.
    my fuzz is dark so it looks fuller than it is, and one day last month all the white fuzz fell out and left the black ones. Also it was kind of wild but when i started going wig less all the men in my office got buzz cuts to support me. the women did not. but some friends did.
    penny
  • slamb58
    slamb58 Member Posts: 31

No wig no more
    I was wearing a wig for a while and it ichy and I felt uncomfortable, like people knew it was a wig, so this summer I decided to not wear one any more, most of the time I just go around bald headed and this is fine, some of my hair has grown back not sure why but I guess it feels if I have faith in it it will try. Well guess what no one cares that I am bald, and most people think it is really great. I don't look funny and people accept you. I don't know but maybe you should try it.

my photo was when i had hair. now i look like i have a buzz cut but not a very full one.
    my fuzz is dark so it looks fuller than it is, and one day last month all the white fuzz fell out and left the black ones. Also it was kind of wild but when i started going wig less all the men in my office got buzz cuts to support me. the women did not. but some friends did.
    penny

Thanks for your feedback
    Thanks everybody for your feedback. I finally called my onc and she called me in a prescription of some type of antibiotic creme. It seems to be working. I don't wear the wigs on weekends, just maybe a ball cap if I go out, but I work Mon thru Fri and haven't gotten the nerve to not wear a wig at work. I know everybody I work with would be totally supportive, but just can't bring myself to go there yet.