MDX-1106 Part 4

foxhd
foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
OK, here we go. Brief refresher. Radical nephrectomy in March 2011. By winter mets were in lungs, liver, spine and pelvis. Qualified for and began MDX-1106 at maximum dosage of 10 mg/kg of weight. I had a rapid response with healing in my bones, and liver. Lungs have demonstrated reduction in tumors from reported dozen to 3-4. A couple of these continue to shrink and a couple are stable. There is no evidence of mediastinal lymphadenopathies, where there had been. There is a questionable new lesion in t6 where none had been previously. So, in general continued good response to the anti-PD1 medication. Oncologist questions radiologists impression of t6 lesion. Now we wait for another 6 weeks and my next scan. The bad news is that I have had a chest infection for about a month. So my treatment today has been cancelled. The medication has been known to lower resistance to some infections. So now a course of antibiotics. I may have to miss a dose, or just get it a week or so late. I'll return in about 10 days for follow up and new plan of care. Thanks all!

Comments

• sunlover_56
    sunlover_56 Member Posts: 110
    Fox
    Sorry to hear about your chest infection, but everything eles seems to be good. Shrinking and stable sound good to me. Did they say the set back of not being able to get your next dose was going to be ok? I hope so. Heres to a speedy cure to your chest infection so you can get back on course (((( Fox )))))
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    Outstanding!!!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you had new spots pop up since you started the MDX only to have their **** kicked for showing up? Take advantage of the short vacation and do something fun, I'll bet you can think of something. ROCK ON!!!
  • sunlover_56
    sunlover_56 Member Posts: 110
    garym said:

Outstanding!!!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you had new spots pop up since you started the MDX only to have their **** kicked for showing up? Take advantage of the short vacation and do something fun, I'll bet you can think of something. ROCK ON!!!

Outstanding!!
    Thats real good advice Gary!! Do something fun Fox!!
  • Bennette
    Bennette Member Posts: 65
    Get well soon!
    Hope you have a speedy recovery and get back to your treatment. You have been doing so well, you are an inspiration - keep it up!

Whenever I get worried about what is going to happen with my mom - I think about your success.

Take Care.

Bennette
  • alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member
    Progress
    While I'm sorry that the antibiotics will interrupt the MDX and that you're fighting an infection, I'm so pleased to hear you still continue to improve overall. I think it's interesting that your oncologist is more inclined to question the radiologist's impression than your continued progress. She knows her patient!

Take care of that infection Fox. And onward!!!
  • foxhd
    alice124 said:

Progress
    While I'm sorry that the antibiotics will interrupt the MDX and that you're fighting an infection, I'm so pleased to hear you still continue to improve overall. I think it's interesting that your oncologist is more inclined to question the radiologist's impression than your continued progress. She knows her patient!

Take care of that infection Fox. And onward!!!

lungs
    Thanx all. Had developed a type of bronchitis, or pnuemonitis with significant shortness of breath with any exertion. Kind of explains my complaints of fatigue. The non- productive cough should have been enough for me to call my Dr. But, I thought I was improving. During my physical today, I couldn't take deep breaths without coughing fits. Kind of thought I could just breeze through my pre- infusion testing. I was really caught off guard for my Dr. to tell me she wouldn't give me my treatment. She said my dosing has been at the maximum, and I could have my treatment delayed without a problem. I felt jilted at the alter....It is all my fault. Should have called her a couple weeks ago.

Here's the thing. I had planned to be away on my motorcycle the second and third week of June. Now I may have to cut things short. Oh well. Time will tell.
  • matchframe
    matchframe Member Posts: 58
    foxhd said:

lungs
    Thanx all. Had developed a type of bronchitis, or pnuemonitis with significant shortness of breath with any exertion. Kind of explains my complaints of fatigue. The non- productive cough should have been enough for me to call my Dr. But, I thought I was improving. During my physical today, I couldn't take deep breaths without coughing fits. Kind of thought I could just breeze through my pre- infusion testing. I was really caught off guard for my Dr. to tell me she wouldn't give me my treatment. She said my dosing has been at the maximum, and I could have my treatment delayed without a problem. I felt jilted at the alter....It is all my fault. Should have called her a couple weeks ago.

Here's the thing. I had planned to be away on my motorcycle the second and third week of June. Now I may have to cut things short. Oh well. Time will tell.

Good to hear
    Good to hear the treatment is working, but sad to hear about the chest issue. Thankfully this is only a minor setback.
  • tacyarts
    tacyarts Member Posts: 73

Good to hear
    Good to hear the treatment is working, but sad to hear about the chest issue. Thankfully this is only a minor setback.

overall good news
    I think that overall this is still a good report, hopfully the chest prob will disappear with the anti biotics and continue on with your way to NED. I still pray for you fox as well as all cancer patients. Keep your head up Fox.
  • adobe
    adobe Member Posts: 72
    Remember foxhd, you told me we can do this!! Counting on you to stay strong!
  • foxhd
    adobe said:

Remember foxhd, you told me we can do this!! Counting on you to stay strong!

Yeah, we will do this.
    Adobe, You can count on us doing this. In my area there was a lung infection going around. Many people went to their Drs. for care. Me, Not too smart. Because I run, and walk when I play golf, I have learned how to pace myself regardless of how I feel. Even though I thought that I might pass out about 20-30 times during the last week, I thought I was handling this. I just kind of expected it to be a challenge..........Tomorrow, I have a plastic surgeon who specializes in melanoma carve out a portion of my scalp..... My poor wife. She is far tougher than I am. But she feels helpless with all this. It's driving her crazy.
  • pjune127
    pjune127 Member Posts: 127
    foxhd said:

Yeah, we will do this.
    Adobe, You can count on us doing this. In my area there was a lung infection going around. Many people went to their Drs. for care. Me, Not too smart. Because I run, and walk when I play golf, I have learned how to pace myself regardless of how I feel. Even though I thought that I might pass out about 20-30 times during the last week, I thought I was handling this. I just kind of expected it to be a challenge..........Tomorrow, I have a plastic surgeon who specializes in melanoma carve out a portion of my scalp..... My poor wife. She is far tougher than I am. But she feels helpless with all this. It's driving her crazy.

Take care of yourself
    Fox, you are an inspiration to me and so many others. Remember to take care of yourself...you are so brave! Take your antibiotics, get strong, and kick cancer's **** with renewed gusto! I'll be thinking about you!
  • foxhd
    pjune127 said:

Take care of yourself
    Fox, you are an inspiration to me and so many others. Remember to take care of yourself...you are so brave! Take your antibiotics, get strong, and kick cancer's **** with renewed gusto! I'll be thinking about you!

Thanks guys and ladies.
    I'm feeling much better. My follow up is next friday but I'm gonna call monday and try to get in earlier. My motorcycle vacation is a once in a year thing. I don't want to miss it.... Had my head carved by the plastic surgeon yesterday. OUCH! Felt like I got hit by an ax. Everything is sewn up tight on my left forehead. Now I know how Joan Rivers feels! Surgeon was a friendly guy with a top reputation. We shared alot of jokes. What else would you expect? He told me that he went to medical school with Joan Rivers sister but didn't think she stayed in. I told him that I hoped there was a good movie on last night as I didn't think I could close my left eye and I 'd be up all night.
  • alice124
    foxhd said:

Thanks guys and ladies.
    I'm feeling much better. My follow up is next friday but I'm gonna call monday and try to get in earlier. My motorcycle vacation is a once in a year thing. I don't want to miss it.... Had my head carved by the plastic surgeon yesterday. OUCH! Felt like I got hit by an ax. Everything is sewn up tight on my left forehead. Now I know how Joan Rivers feels! Surgeon was a friendly guy with a top reputation. We shared alot of jokes. What else would you expect? He told me that he went to medical school with Joan Rivers sister but didn't think she stayed in. I told him that I hoped there was a good movie on last night as I didn't think I could close my left eye and I 'd be up all night.

GET BETTER!
    Hey Fox - I'm surprised they used the ax while you were still fighting infection. You really must have a "tough guy" rep with your docs. Know we're all counting on your continued success. It's not unusual when we hit a bump in the road to ask "What would Fox do?" We need you. Take care.
  • Limelife50
    Limelife50 Member Posts: 476
    foxhd said:

Yeah, we will do this.

Sorry about the minor setback Fox
    I hope you can still get out on that bike and enjoy a little vacation time i think you have earned it 10 times over.I got to enjoy a nice week of fishing last week in Minnesota,could hardly keep the Northern Pike off my hook but i did manage to get my share of Walleye,i feel the most important thing about the whole week was just being able to enjoy life to the fullest without ever mentioning or even thinking about that six letter word that has invaded my life.Monday the 4th it starts all over again with another CT SCAN but i am ready for it.Hope that infection clears up soon Fox so you too can enjoy a nice vacation,take care and Hang Tough
  • foxhd
    alice124 said:

GET BETTER!
    Hey Fox - I'm surprised they used the ax while you were still fighting infection. You really must have a "tough guy" rep with your docs. Know we're all counting on your continued success. It's not unusual when we hit a bump in the road to ask "What would Fox do?" We need you. Take care.

update
    Here's just alittle update. My next scan is next friday 7/6. Each one has proven to be an important one. And I look forward to this one. The new lesion in T6 has become a nasty bugger. It has become very painful. Back to some percs. It seems that after having missed an infusion, my drug levels must have dropped a bit. Because this last infusion began to hit hard. All I could do not to vomit during treatment. Pain had begun about a week before. Then a couple days after treatment it peaked. ( I was already a couple hundred miles away on my motorcycle) But I was able to deal with it and had a great time. It has since been diminishing which is a good sign. We're hoping that it was just a tumor flare up. The drug was in full force and went ape sh*t on it. Just don't make me sneeze, cough, or laugh. Otherwise, I'm OK and the battle continues. I don't want anything to terminate this study.
  • alice124
    foxhd said:

update
    Here's just alittle update. My next scan is next friday 7/6. Each one has proven to be an important one. And I look forward to this one. The new lesion in T6 has become a nasty bugger. It has become very painful. Back to some percs. It seems that after having missed an infusion, my drug levels must have dropped a bit. Because this last infusion began to hit hard. All I could do not to vomit during treatment. Pain had begun about a week before. Then a couple days after treatment it peaked. ( I was already a couple hundred miles away on my motorcycle) But I was able to deal with it and had a great time. It has since been diminishing which is a good sign. We're hoping that it was just a tumor flare up. The drug was in full force and went ape sh*t on it. Just don't make me sneeze, cough, or laugh. Otherwise, I'm OK and the battle continues. I don't want anything to terminate this study.

Update
    Fox,

You have to have skin of nails to ride cross-country on a motorcycle with a T6 lesion pressing on your spinal nerve. OUCH!

I know I'm talking to earplugs, but please take care. I'm really pulling for a great report on the 6th.
  • DMike
    DMike Member Posts: 259
    foxhd said:

update

The good fight
    Keep on fighting Fox! We're with you.
  • alice124
    foxhd said:

update

Update?
    Hey Fox,

How are you feeling? Curious if your pain is under control and if yesterday's visit went as planned. Know positive energy headed your way and we're all in your corner between rounds.
  • foxhd
    alice124 said:

Update?
    Hey Fox,

How are you feeling? Curious if your pain is under control and if yesterday's visit went as planned. Know positive energy headed your way and we're all in your corner between rounds.

Update
    Hi, Alice, I am feeling amazingly well again. My pain has decreased to what is like a gas pain under my left ribs. I can't tell if it is from my T6 lesion. The scan results next Wed. will be interesting.Something is going to light up.I don't know what. But what I do know is that I am getting active and strong. My physical activity and energy is excellent! So,....I'm obviously having a positive response...I'll find out Wed........Hope John is cont. to do well.
    Fox