Another Huffington Post pick-up! People dont die from BC or Prostate cancer any more!

camul
camul Member Posts: 2,537
edited July 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
If you read this link, Chris Collins in an interview stated that people don't die from Breast Cancer or Prostate cancer any more! Apparently he says what he wants and does not feel it necessary to check facts.

This is about as good as the billboard ads that line I-15 through the Salt Lake City area stating that Breast Cancer is 99% curable! How can they print and speak this sh** without checking their facts?

I have come to the conclusion that they spout this on purpose because the majority of the people read it and believe it. God help us if this yo-yo gets into office and ends up being one of our congressmen. It is lies like this that are ruining our country, and scares the heck out of me!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/03/chris-collins-cancer_n_1647196.html

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Agree
    I agree with you that this yo-yo should not become a congressmen when his staff does such a poor job on fact finding for him. Allowing Chris Collins to go out spreading the "Pink October" lies. Mr. Collins should find himself a new staff.

I am not against "Pink October" . It does need to add the dark ribbon around it to inform the general public that Breast Cancer "Does Not Have A Cure" and it's not exactly around the corner either. The funds need to go to find a solution for those of us with stage IV. If they can cure us and I believe the domino effect will be felt by those other stages too.

Someone needs to paint a big black ribbon on this billboard in memory of the 40,000 women and men who die each year from breast cancer. Who sponsored this bill board ad? Might be a start...

Doris
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    SIROD said:

Agree
    I agree with you that this yo-yo should not become a congressmen when his staff does such a poor job on fact finding for him. Allowing Chris Collins to go out spreading the "Pink October" lies. Mr. Collins should find himself a new staff.

I am not against "Pink October" . It does need to add the dark ribbon around it to inform the general public that Breast Cancer "Does Not Have A Cure" and it's not exactly around the corner either. The funds need to go to find a solution for those of us with stage IV. If they can cure us and I believe the domino effect will be felt by those other stages too.

Someone needs to paint a big black ribbon on this billboard in memory of the 40,000 women and men who die each year from breast cancer. Who sponsored this bill board ad? Might be a start...

Doris

I haven't read ...
    Haven't read this but for what the two of you have said, don't think I will...it'll only make my BP go up!!!! Where is this jerk running for office...I'd like to ask him how THEY have found a "cure" for 99% of women with bc....in the words of my oncologist...."When we find out what causes cancer, we'll be able to cure it" .....best we can hope now for is remission and or stable...

Hugs, Nancy
  • camul
    MAJW said:

I haven't read ...
    Haven't read this but for what the two of you have said, don't think I will...it'll only make my BP go up!!!! Where is this jerk running for office...I'd like to ask him how THEY have found a "cure" for 99% of women with bc....in the words of my oncologist...."When we find out what causes cancer, we'll be able to cure it" .....best we can hope now for is remission and or stable...

Hugs, Nancy

Nancy
    Chris Collins didn't do the billboards, they have been up for months. Chris Collins said that people don't die from breast cancer or prostate cancer any more. The billboards are something up in Utah stating that bc is 99% curable.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    camul said:

Nancy
    Chris Collins didn't do the billboards, they have been up for months. Chris Collins said that people don't die from breast cancer or prostate cancer any more. The billboards are something up in Utah stating that bc is 99% curable.

I didn't read the article
    I didn't read the article either, but...

I think we should each send him a black plastic flower for every person we know who has died of cancer...put it on facebook, alert the media. Maybe he will get the message when his office is overflowing with black plastic.
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493

I didn't read the article
    I didn't read the article either, but...

I think we should each send him a black plastic flower for every person we know who has died of cancer...put it on facebook, alert the media. Maybe he will get the message when his office is overflowing with black plastic.

AAARGH! This is what is so
    AAARGH! This is what is so wrong in the US now. There are no true journalists or news reporters any more. No fact checks, spin, promoting an agenda, or just plain not accepting responsibility for telling the truth.

But then, how many of you have had folks say to you--"Oh, breast cancer, that's real easy to cure now." I know I've heard some version of that more than once.

Angie
  • camul
    AngieD said:

AAARGH! This is what is so wrong in the US now. There are no true journalists or news reporters any more. No fact checks, spin, promoting an agenda, or just plain not accepting responsibility for telling the truth.

But then, how many of you have had folks say to you--"Oh, breast cancer, that's real easy to cure now." I know I've heard some version of that more than once.

Angie

Angie
    I think that is because people believe everything they hear. Most people don't take the time to actually look things up. This really frustrates me as he is so against requiring affordable healthcare, as well as health care for pre-existing conditions.

I sure do wish, there was no more deaths from breast and prostate cancers.

Carol
  • SIROD
    AngieD said:

Angie

Not the Journalist Fault...
    Dear Angie,

Pink October makes it look like there is a cure for breast cancer right around the corner. When one looks at Komen's "Race for the Cure" and all those survivors in their pink t-shirt, one has to believe. Then again, most women do survive this disease somewhere in the 70% range.

But....... and that is us, where do we fit in?

There are groups that are working hard to spread the word:

"Metavivor" - http://metavivor.org/
    Metastatic Breast Cancer Network: - http://mbcn.org/
    AdvancedBC.org Musa Mayer - http://www/advancedbc.org/

We have one day, October 13th, Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day. How many people in your community or even your friends know about this date? Do you?

A few years ago, I inquired from my own state ACS "Relay for Life" representative if they could include a lap for those of us living with the disease and was turned down. There was a Survivor's Lap or Remembrance's Lap, those were my choices. What happens if you don't fit either one?

I read what "Survivor" meant: "You stared cancer in the face and survived it". I was being treated for stage IV breast cancer to the lungs and lining at the time and we know there is no stage V. I came here and inquired the opinions of those using the forum at the time. There were a few replies that "got it".

The lap that I requested was for those who were living with the disease, it would show two things:

Strides had been made

and

A need for more funds for that "Cure"

I was amazed how so many had replied in the negative. "I woke up and the tumor was gone and I survived". Yes, that is wonderful and I don't begrudge this as I had been through it and do recognized the feeling.

But... how about "when there are to many tumors to count and can't be removed", never occurred to them.

Some saw that this lap would be considered "Waiting to die". Even I would never consider walking one label in that manner nor was I advocating it. Your a survivor if your breathing. That is not what the term "Survivor" means in either the Race or Relay. It means your stage 0-3 with NED. When people who have advanced cancer go in for the "survivor" label, they are being counted by the organization to being at that point free of cancer. Look we have all these survivors....

What about those 30% who are not in that category?

Even the biggest organization for breast cancer, Komen only wants to show the survivors and though ACS does include all the different cancers, they to only want to acknowledge survivors.

Metavivor in base in Baltimore, Maryland. "Relay for Life" in Maryland had a big sign welcoming Survivors and Metavivor's. I read this in a USA article 2011. The combo Meta stands metastasis and vivor = surviving. We can only hope it will catch on.

When everything is covered in "Pink" in October, why wouldn't people believe that the cure is almost attainable and may believe it actually happen?

What are we doing in trying to help in making the funds go to "research" and not promoting "prevention and early detention"? I am not against the later but I do believe the funding should be balanced.

Just an opinion.

Doris
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493
    SIROD said:

Dear Angie,

Pink October makes it look like there is a cure for breast cancer right around the corner. When one looks at Komen's "Race for the Cure" and all those survivors in their pink t-shirt, one has to believe. Then again, most women do survive this disease somewhere in the 70% range.

We have one day, October 13th, Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day. How many people in your community or even your friends know about this date? Do you?

A few years ago, I inquired from my own state ACS "Relay for Life" representative if they could include a lap for those of us living with the disease and was turned down. There was a Survivor's Lap or Remembrance's Lap, those were my choices. What happens if you don't fit either one?

I read what "Survivor" meant: "You stared cancer in the face and survived it". I was being treated for stage IV breast cancer to the lungs and lining at the time and we know there is no stage V. I came here and inquired the opinions of those using the forum at the time. There were a few replies that "got it".

The lap that I requested was for those who were living with the disease, it would show two things:

Strides had been made

and

I was amazed how so many had replied in the negative. "I woke up and the tumor was gone and I survived". Yes, that is wonderful and I don't begrudge this as I had been through it and do recognized the feeling.

But... how about "when there are to many tumors to count and can't be removed", never occurred to them.

Some saw that this lap would be considered "Waiting to die". Even I would never consider walking one label in that manner nor was I advocating it. Your a survivor if your breathing. That is not what the term "Survivor" means in either the Race or Relay. It means your stage 0-3 with NED. When people who have advanced cancer go in for the "survivor" label, they are being counted by the organization to being at that point free of cancer. Look we have all these survivors....

Even the biggest organization for breast cancer, Komen only wants to show the survivors and though ACS does include all the different cancers, they to only want to acknowledge survivors.

Metavivor in base in Baltimore, Maryland. "Relay for Life" in Maryland had a big sign welcoming Survivors and Metavivor's. I read this in a USA article 2011. The combo Meta stands metastasis and vivor = surviving. We can only hope it will catch on.

When everything is covered in "Pink" in October, why wouldn't people believe that the cure is almost attainable and may believe it actually happen?

What are we doing in trying to help in making the funds go to "research" and not promoting "prevention and early detention"? I am not against the later but I do believe the funding should be balanced.

Just an opinion.

Doris

Doris, I had no idea!
    No,

Doris, I had no idea!

No, I've never heard of Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day.

And I always assumed the Relay/Race Survivor's Lap was for anyone who had had cancer whether they were still in treatment or not. I, too, thought breathing qualified one as a Survivor.

And I've never even heard of Pink October.

Thanks for the information.

Angie
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    AngieD said:

Doris, I had no idea!
    No,

Doris, I had no idea!

And I always assumed the Relay/Race Survivor's Lap was for anyone who had had cancer whether they were still in treatment or not. I, too, thought breathing qualified one as a Survivor.

Angie

October...
    October is breast cancer awareness month..and pink is the symbol.....I have not sent Susan G Komen one dime since they caved to Planned Parenthood....I refuse to donate to an organization that's "looking for a cure" for us, when Planned Parenthood performs abortion...kind of an oxymoron...trying to " save " us and in my opinion, killing the most innocent of innocents...sorry if that offends anyone but it's how I feel...and I am firm in that belief...I have written letters to ask them to remove me from their maing list, to no avail...so my conclusion is, no one reads this...they're just shaking the envelope to see if a check falls out!!!! And I donated them long before I was diagnosed in 2009! No more! Now I just write return to sender on the envelope....and they STILL send me those damned address label wanting money! guess they can't take a hint..lol

Sorry if this is a "rant" but I feel strongly about that foundation...
    Nancy
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    MAJW said:

October...
    October is breast cancer awareness month..and pink is the symbol.....I have not sent Susan G Komen one dime since they caved to Planned Parenthood....I refuse to donate to an organization that's "looking for a cure" for us, when Planned Parenthood performs abortion...kind of an oxymoron...trying to " save " us and in my opinion, killing the most innocent of innocents...sorry if that offends anyone but it's how I feel...and I am firm in that belief...I have written letters to ask them to remove me from their maing list, to no avail...so my conclusion is, no one reads this...they're just shaking the envelope to see if a check falls out!!!! And I donated them long before I was diagnosed in 2009! No more! Now I just write return to sender on the envelope....and they STILL send me those damned address label wanting money! guess they can't take a hint..lol

Nancy

rant, post, and include articles ...
    this is what makes our 'Sorority' so fabulous. We are all different, unique Sisters
    in PINK -- with varied opinions.

Vicki Sam
  • camul
    MAJW said:

October...

Nancy

what I like about metavivor
    is that all monies collected go to research for stage iv. Most all of the current research is directed to early intervention, education, and research for early onset, not mets. I learned about this group when I went to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore from another patient. It seems to be a good group and we have a different ribbon color with teal, pink and cant remember the other color.....
  • SIROD
    AngieD said:

Doris, I had no idea!
    No,

Doris, I had no idea!

Angie

Interpretation
    Angie,

I did take the words "You stared cancer in the face and survived it".  It continues with "We want to congratulate you and celebrate your life". This is on ACS Relay for Life page under registering for the Survivor's Lap. Website:

http://www.relayforlife.org/getinvolved/signupvolunteer/index?gclid=CNSCvu-fhbECFYio4Aod33bWmg

It might mean something different to you or others but, with metastasize cancer I didn't feel that I should be congratulated. It sounded to me that it was aimed at those who were diagnosed, treated and expect to remain in the 70% of people who will never face breast cancer.

A young man where I work had survived childhood leukemia and was trying to talk me into participating in this relay. I kidded him about the fact that I helped saving him. In the 1950's there was in my area an awareness in raising funds for "Childhood Leukemia" with a program called "The Jimmy Fund" out of Dana Farber in Boston. I knew a neighbor who died from this disease, a very bright young boy. Every Halloween I would have my sister, cousins, neighborhood friends and classmates sign up and then pick up their donation can at the Fire Station across from our school. We all, "trick or treated for Jimmy". I told the young man that all that candy I never had on Halloween did some good. Childhood Leukemia is no longer the treat it was back in my childhood but, they are not there yet either.

After I read the brochure on the relay, I wrote to the state representative as mentioned in my post and then told the young man why I could not participate. He understood.

Doris
  • SIROD
    SIROD said:

Dear Angie,

Strides had been made

and

Just an opinion.

Doris

Based in Annapolis
    Correction Metavivors are base in Annapolis, Maryland and not Baltimore.

There Facebook page is very interesting to read also.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/METAvivor-Research-and-Support-Inc/194759687203856
  • SIROD
    camul said:

what I like about metavivor
    is that all monies collected go to research for stage iv. Most all of the current research is directed to early intervention, education, and research for early onset, not mets. I learned about this group when I went to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore from another patient. It seems to be a good group and we have a different ribbon color with teal, pink and cant remember the other color.....

Teal, Pink, Green
    Carol,

There are two web sites for BC Mets that their President, Dian Corneliussen-James aka CJ participates.

When I was diagnosed with widespread pulmonary & pleural metastasis, I ask my questions and CJ was the first to answer me. You know how you feel about the first person who replies to your first call for help. CJ also attended the 2009 Mets Symposium at Dana Farber and did answer my query about Rita Arditti. She is the lady who lived with a diagnose of mets to the lungs for 30 years. It so helped in making me more optimistic about my own diagnose. From that time on I have been following CJ and the Metavivors.

I like the color of the ribbon and I forget now what the colors stood for which was stated at one time.

Doris
  • SIROD
    VickiSam said:

rant, post, and include articles ...
    this is what makes our 'Sorority' so fabulous. We are all different, unique Sisters
    in PINK -- with varied opinions.

Vicki Sam

For VickiSam

Dear VickiSam,

Somewhere along the line, I picked up this quote. Am sorry to say that I did not note where it originated and by who.

"If I am making waves in your space of the forum, it might one day be helping some of you, when you are stage IV."

I can only speak about my own 18 years of experience dealing with breast cancer that has metastasize. I can only relate it to the hormonal therapies at this point. That is why we need everyone with their unique experience. There are so many various forms of breast cancer as this disease is certainly if anything, heterogeneous.

Our diagnose of breast cancer is the tie that binds us all together. Seventy percent will never go beyond the first step but they do fear that they will also join those of us who are in the thirty percent. So, we are all tied together.

I appreciate all your posts of support, especially to the newbies.

Best,

Doris
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    MAJW said:

I haven't read ...

Hugs, Nancy

I haven't read this either
    I haven't read this either and don't want to. Unbelievable, isn't it?