A little something extra for the 4th of July

NancyJac
NancyJac Member Posts: 91
In addition to the usual things we celebrate on Independence Day, I also celebrated independence from hats/scarves/wigs. July 4 was the first time I went out in public without a head covering since I had it shaved back last December. Feels great to have hair again (albeit very short still)!

Comments

• rallendorfer
    rallendorfer Member Posts: 244
    So happy for you!
    I am sure that was a very good reason to celebrate. It is something we take for granted when we have hair. How nice it is for you to have it back! I can hardly wait. Are you going to color? I used to but am considering just letting it be natural now...since everyone has seen me at my worst how could that surprise them now? ;-}

Rebecca
  • NancyJac
    NancyJac Member Posts: 91

So happy for you!
    I am sure that was a very good reason to celebrate. It is something we take for granted when we have hair. How nice it is for you to have it back! I can hardly wait. Are you going to color? I used to but am considering just letting it be natural now...since everyone has seen me at my worst how could that surprise them now? ;-}

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,
    No plans for

Hi Rebecca,

No plans for coloring it. I didn't color it before and had no grey. It is still a little to short to tell for sure, but looks like it is growing back with a little grey in it and I like it. I worked hard all my life to get those grey hairs and have actually been looking forward to getting them.
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    NancyJac said:

Hi Rebecca,
    No plans for

Hi Rebecca,

No plans for coloring it. I didn't color it before and had no grey. It is still a little to short to tell for sure, but looks like it is growing back with a little grey in it and I like it. I worked hard all my life to get those grey hairs and have actually been looking forward to getting them.

I didn't have chemo or radiation
    I didn't have chemo or radiation but all my life my hair has been fine and thin.I roll it everyday to make it look like I have hair.I am 65 and like you hsve very very little gray hair. Not sure what color it would've been if I had chemo.Might come out black but now it's mousy brown.

I'm glad your hair is coming back in.Won't be long till its back to normal but not sure of the color.I've seen people with straight hair get curls and vice versa.Some get darker hair some lighter. I want thicker hair and curls if I ever need chemo.But we don't always get what we want.

Last night walking in the store a lady smiled from a distance.I smiled back.I got behind her and her husband in line.She looked at me and said "You're so cute!!!. I thanked her.I don't know what it is.I've never been told till just before this and after my dx. Only the last 3 years.I don't feel cute because I lost weight through the stress of the beast and other things but others tell me that. I told her I love her silver gray hair.I said "I want mine that color".She said it's natural. The cashier said "I don't want mine gray". "I'll be a bleach blond till the end". This summed up my 4th.Husband worked 12 hours and no get togethers or fireworks. Many towns cancelled fireworks because of the 100 degree temps for over a week.

Lynn Smith
  • ksf56
    ksf56 Member Posts: 202
    Yay!
    I took off my hats for good for the last radiation. It was so liberating!! My hair pre-cancer was toe-head type color and very straight. It came in initially curly but has straightened out for the most part. It also came in white with gray in the back. I like it! It feels like a new me - I am reinventing myself! I'm with you - I earned everyone of these hairs! I also like not having to fuss with it and I'm keeping it short - I've gotten way more compliments on my hair since it grew back than before cancer.

You made it baby!

Karen

ps - my last chemo was Jan. 11, 2012 and my last rad was March 16, 2012
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    ksf56 said:

Yay!
    I took off my hats for good for the last radiation. It was so liberating!! My hair pre-cancer was toe-head type color and very straight. It came in initially curly but has straightened out for the most part. It also came in white with gray in the back. I like it! It feels like a new me - I am reinventing myself! I'm with you - I earned everyone of these hairs! I also like not having to fuss with it and I'm keeping it short - I've gotten way more compliments on my hair since it grew back than before cancer.

You made it baby!

Karen

ps - my last chemo was Jan. 11, 2012 and my last rad was March 16, 2012

Yeah hair!
    Wonderful to be free from hats, scarves and wigs! I remember that feeling so well...mine came back kinky curly and very salt and pepper..never had gray before that...I waited 6 months to go wig less and I colored it back to my dark brown...I felt like me again...well I'm bald again, due to chemo and and brain rads...I actually found "peach fuzz" on the sides that were radiated just today! But it's rather doubtful I'll ever have hair again, due to chemo that I will have indefinitely...oh well small price to pay to keep me above ground...lol

Very happy for you!
    Hugs, Nancy
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    way to go...I did not do
    way to go...I did not do chemo...so I can only imagine...

Do what you are comfortable physically and mentally..

Denise
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

So happy for you!

Rebecca

Congrats Nancy!
    Hugs, Lex

Congrats Nancy!

Hugs, Lex
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

So happy for you!

Rebecca

It sure was a great
    It sure was a great Independence Day for you! Very happy for you!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    MAJW said:

Yeah hair!
    Wonderful to be free from hats, scarves and wigs! I remember that feeling so well...mine came back kinky curly and very salt and pepper..never had gray before that...I waited 6 months to go wig less and I colored it back to my dark brown...I felt like me again...well I'm bald again, due to chemo and and brain rads...I actually found "peach fuzz" on the sides that were radiated just today! But it's rather doubtful I'll ever have hair again, due to chemo that I will have indefinitely...oh well small price to pay to keep me above ground...lol

Very happy for you!
    Hugs, Nancy

Very happy for you Nancy!

Very happy for you Nancy!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

way to go...I did not do
    way to go...I did not do chemo...so I can only imagine...

Do what you are comfortable physically and mentally..

Denise

Yippee for Nancy! I am glad
    Yippee for Nancy! I am glad that you took this huge step! I bet you look beautiful!

Hugs, Leeza