Camp Kesem

Gabe N Abby Mom
Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
Hi all,

Camp Kesem is a summer camp for kids who have a parent dx'd with cancer, it's about a week long and it's free. My daughter has been back from camp for a while now, and she's still talking about it. It was a really good experience for her. So for those of you with kids, please check their website. There are camps held throughout the country and there may still be space and time for your kids to go.

The camp also gave me a new way to talk with my daughter (she's 11) about cancer....Abby told me about a time when the kids were sharing their experiences with this nasty disease.

Me. Was it hard to talk about it with people you didn't know very well?
Abby. No. You know I don't get to emotional about it.
Me. You know it's ok if you do get emotional sometimes. Why do you think you don't get very emotional?
Abby. Well...it's not like it's life or death or anything.
Me. That's true. Would you want to know if it ever got to the point where it was life or death?
Abby. Yep.
Me. OK, it's a deal.

This was the first time I have been able to talk with her about the possibility that this disease might kill me. And I feel like it gives me a way to open the conversation when it does become life or death. This was really powerful and important for me, but very much on a level/casual enough that my daughter could handle it.

Thanks for listening.

Hugs,

Linda

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Linda....
    I'm so glad the camp and the discussions there, have enabled you to start a dialogue with your precious daughter.....praying you never have to discuss "life and death" with your kids...

Big hugs, Nancy
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    MAJW said:

Linda....
    I'm so glad the camp and the discussions there, have enabled you to start a dialogue with your precious daughter.....praying you never have to discuss "life and death" with your kids...

Big hugs, Nancy

Linda, I've heard about this wonderful camp
    I am so glad your daughter got to go. Mortality is such a hard subject to discuss--even with adults. Funny with kids--such serious discussions are so much easier on their terms. My son is an adult now, but I found we had the easiest times discussing serious issues (our divorce, etc.) when we were engaged in some type of activity and not sitting face to face. The words just seemed to flow more easily.

I'm so glad you have a dialog opened up with your kids.

Hugs, Renee
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    nice you could talk/
    nice you could talk/ chat...so happy she had great time...as well as other kids...

Denise
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    What a wonderful experience
    What a wonderful experience for her! I wish they had had something similar for Katherine when she was little. She was so scared and clingy.

What made it even worse was (she was just 5), towards the end of chemo, I stood up too quickly, blacked out, hit the floor hard and knocked over the fireplace tools on my way down. When I came to, she was standing white faced and petrified. Of course, she was all alone with me at the time.

Anyway, I think there is such strength in numbers and I am sure that she would have benefitted. I am so glad that Abby did and that it opened up communication for you. Now, let's not have that conversation, cuz we love you and want you healthy!
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    missrenee said:

Linda, I've heard about this wonderful camp
    I am so glad your daughter got to go. Mortality is such a hard subject to discuss--even with adults. Funny with kids--such serious discussions are so much easier on their terms. My son is an adult now, but I found we had the easiest times discussing serious issues (our divorce, etc.) when we were engaged in some type of activity and not sitting face to face. The words just seemed to flow more easily.

I'm so glad you have a dialog opened up with your kids.

Hugs, Renee

That works for me too....we
    That works for me too....we were walking at the time.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom

What a wonderful experience
    What a wonderful experience for her! I wish they had had something similar for Katherine when she was little. She was so scared and clingy.

What made it even worse was (she was just 5), towards the end of chemo, I stood up too quickly, blacked out, hit the floor hard and knocked over the fireplace tools on my way down. When I came to, she was standing white faced and petrified. Of course, she was all alone with me at the time.

Anyway, I think there is such strength in numbers and I am sure that she would have benefitted. I am so glad that Abby did and that it opened up communication for you. Now, let's not have that conversation, cuz we love you and want you healthy!

Watching someone pass out is
    Watching someone pass out is scary for me (and I'm an old lady), I can't imagine it at 5! Yikes! And all that noise from fireplace tools too!

Along with the strength in numbers and all the benefits she got emotionally, she also just plain old had fun! Abby learned new songs and games, they had 'the messy olympics', a trust walk, zip lines, a counselor fashion show, etc. It's pretty clear the were on the go the entire time.

And you're right, I don't want to ever have that conversation!! Cuz I love you right back!

Hugs,

Linda
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member

Watching someone pass out is
    Watching someone pass out is scary for me (and I'm an old lady), I can't imagine it at 5! Yikes! And all that noise from fireplace tools too!

Along with the strength in numbers and all the benefits she got emotionally, she also just plain old had fun! Abby learned new songs and games, they had 'the messy olympics', a trust walk, zip lines, a counselor fashion show, etc. It's pretty clear the were on the go the entire time.

And you're right, I don't want to ever have that conversation!! Cuz I love you right back!

Hugs,

Linda

Let's hope you never have to go there again
    Linda,

you are an amazing woman and an amazing mom. This camp sounds
    great what a wonderful way for children to cope. And probably
    very therapeutic for you as well.

BUT, but I really, really hope you don't have to go there again.

Love you Linda,
    Ayse
  • CampKesem
    CampKesem Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you so much for sharing this moment - we are so happy to hear that your daughter had a good experience at our camp!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Linda,
    Im so glad your

Linda,
    Im so glad your daughter enjoyed Camp Kesem! Camryn is going on August 5th, it will be her second year. I can't say enough good things about this program. She is SO looking forward to it! I think kids up to age 14 can go, not sure what the start age is (8 or 9 maybe?) but if anyone has young kids i would HIGHLY recommend looking up the nearest university that puts on Camp Kesem near you!
    xoxo Linda <3
    heather