Reconstruction after radiation

lynn1950
lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
Hi all. I had a bilateral mastectomy with chemo and rads on one side following. Sometimes I think I would like reconstruction, but I wonder how successful people have been with both sides looking the same. Were there problems reconstructing the radiated side? Thanks, Lynn xoxoxox

Comments

• sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Hi Lynn!
    I had Chemo first to shrink down the 5cm tumor on the right breast. Then I had the mastectomy on the right side, then radiation on the scarred concaved area that used to be my breast. It looked pretty bad and I thought there was no way it would ever look somewhat normal. I guess it was probably 6 months after radiation that I had the other (good) breast removed and had reconstruction at the same time. I opted for the DIEP procedure which uses the tissue, fat and mimimal muscle to reconstruct the breasts. I later had nipple reconstruction with the aereola tatoo. It was a lot to go through but I really liked the results. Other than some darkened skin on the radiated side along with a little numbness, I'm satisfied and glad I did it. For the most part, they do look the same. I know others have had other types of reconstruction and have been pleased.

I'm sure you're doing your research and asking for feedback is always a good idea. I hope you get others sharing their opinions or experiences.

I'm glad the hardest part is behind you!

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • debsweb18
    debsweb18 Member Posts: 191 Member
    I had a unilateral
    I had a unilateral mastectomy with a silicone implant at the same time. After I healed from radiation,I had nipple reconstruction and the other side was lifted with a small implant. After the swelling went down, the implant on my mastectomy side didn't stick out near as far as the other although there was more on the top side. So I went back 4 months later and had the original implant exchanged. They are much more symmetrical. I'm glad I did it. However, since one is all implant and the other is not, I'll never have the same shape. The nipple construction also flattened to just about nothing. My physical therapist and several docs have told me my plastic surgeon did a great job, so I guess this is how it will be because I'm DONE with surgery!

Since my situation isn't the same as yours, I can't comment as to whether yours wlll be the same. I would think you have a better chance of them being symmetrical, because you can get the same size and shape implant on both sides. Radiation can shrink an implant, but since you haven't had implants yet, you should be ok. Your skin might be a little tighter on the one side. Sorry I can't be of more help. I think there's more ladies here that had the bilateral that can help.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    My PS fixed them both even
    My PS fixed them both even though only one side was taken. We didn't want one perky new one, and one that was 44! They are not perfect, but look good under clothes, and tatoo'd the mastectomy one with a beautiful flower and hummingbird, so now no scars and they are the same size!

Best of luck,
    Carol
  • lynn1950
    sea60 said:

Hi Lynn!
    I had Chemo first to shrink down the 5cm tumor on the right breast. Then I had the mastectomy on the right side, then radiation on the scarred concaved area that used to be my breast. It looked pretty bad and I thought there was no way it would ever look somewhat normal. I guess it was probably 6 months after radiation that I had the other (good) breast removed and had reconstruction at the same time. I opted for the DIEP procedure which uses the tissue, fat and mimimal muscle to reconstruct the breasts. I later had nipple reconstruction with the aereola tatoo. It was a lot to go through but I really liked the results. Other than some darkened skin on the radiated side along with a little numbness, I'm satisfied and glad I did it. For the most part, they do look the same. I know others have had other types of reconstruction and have been pleased.

I'm sure you're doing your research and asking for feedback is always a good idea. I hope you get others sharing their opinions or experiences.

I'm glad the hardest part is behind you!

Hugs,

Sylvia

Thanks, Sylvia. It's good
    Thanks, Sylvia. It's good to hear successful stories. xoxoxo Lynn
  • lynn1950
    camul said:

My PS fixed them both even though only one side was taken. We didn't want one perky new one, and one that was 44! They are not perfect, but look good under clothes, and tatoo'd the mastectomy one with a beautiful flower and hummingbird, so now no scars and they are the same size!

Best of luck,
    Carol

Thank you, Debsweb and
    Thank you, Debsweb and Carol. Your experiences are very helpful. xoxoxo Lynn
  • debsweb18
    debsweb18 Member Posts: 191 Member
    camul said:

Best of luck,
    Carol

Carol,
    What did your PS do

Carol,
    What did your PS do to your "44"? I had an 18 and 58 until the lift. I have more scars on the lifted side than on the mastectomy side. My mast. was all done through the nipple with a purse string suturing. So once I have the tattoo, there won't be any visible scarring on that side. The lift was done with what they call the anchor incision. I'm sure I notice differences in shape more than anyone else. Under clothes you can't tell and people that know tell me they can't see a difference (even with low cut tops on). Would it be too much to ask for you to send me a pic of your tattoo? I'm still trying to decide between a nipple or design. I'll understand if you don't want to.

Thanks!
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    debsweb18 said:

Carol,
    What did your PS do

Carol,
    What did your PS do to your "44"? I had an 18 and 58 until the lift. I have more scars on the lifted side than on the mastectomy side. My mast. was all done through the nipple with a purse string suturing. So once I have the tattoo, there won't be any visible scarring on that side. The lift was done with what they call the anchor incision. I'm sure I notice differences in shape more than anyone else. Under clothes you can't tell and people that know tell me they can't see a difference (even with low cut tops on). Would it be too much to ask for you to send me a pic of your tattoo? I'm still trying to decide between a nipple or design. I'll understand if you don't want to.

Thanks!

Yes, there were some problems.
    Yes, there were some problems with reconstruction. (I did not have both breasts removed.) Mostly, it's because the radiated skin/tissue behaves in a very different manner than if it had not been radiated. It's very difficult to heal in my particular situation.

A few weeks ago my implant became contaminated so my PS said, and that it must be removed. And so it was. It was exchanged with another implant and at the 3 week checkup all was going well, the wound was a small thin hardly noticable line. The PS even removed the large purple "bruise" that I'd had ever since the expander/implant exchange about a year ago. It took up about a quadrant of the breast and wasn't actually a true bruise. It was just that my skin was so thin that the tiny veins made it look like one.

Anyhoo, after previous surgeries my PS always told me to massage the area to break up any collagen and capsular contracture, this time too. And so I did. My bad. I managed to rip open the wound about a third of the way. It's been, oh, i dunno 9 weeks or so now the wound has been open. I've had stitches for about 3 weeks now and before that it was staple and before that it was steri-strips (packing tape for people) and before that it was dermabond (superglue for people). And, still the wound is open. My PS is now on leave for the next month.

The complications are a direct cause of the area being radiated. I don't mean to scare you off. I tend to view my situation as a temporary one that will eventually be settled. It's just taking a bit longer than most. I think you should absolutely go for it. I would do it all over again! Of course, everyone is different - your mileage may vary!!!

(((Hugs)))
  • Margie H.
    Margie H. Member Posts: 2
    Hi Lynn! I also had a double masectomy and had silicone implants a year later. It never felt right or looked right. A friend led me to Dr. Marga Massey. She is absolutely wonderful. She is a plastic surgeon out of Charleston, SC. She also had practices in Chicago, Salt Lake City, and New Orleans. She re-did my reconstruction at the Center for Breast Restoration in New Orleans. This facility is unbelievable. People travel from all over the world to come here. She did my surgery with the help of Dr. Sullivan. Just google her and this facility and you will be so happy. They use your own body tissue to rebuild your new breasts. I have had the first procedure and look forward to the next 3 to put "Humpty Dumpty back together again."