My Sister and Me

delayne_11
delayne_11 Member Posts: 5
Hello everyone!!! I have been reading from this board for a while now and have learned some very great and encouraging information!! We are from a small town in the center of Texas called Brady and I am the caretaker and medical and business POA for my 39 year old sister who was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer with mets to the brain on Feb 1st this year. It's been a roller coaster ride for all of us! Her tumor tested ER+,HER2-. She had a craniotomy on Feb 1st and removed the tumor but still has two "spots" on her brain. She has a spot on her lung. Bone scan showed no mets to the bone. She did 15 treatments of total brain radiation and did wonderful throughout!! Her onc is amazing!! He has her on hormone therapy Arimidex (she had a total hysterectomy). She also suffered a seizure so she takes Dilantin. She was on Decadron but was able to come off that with no major issues. Se takes Effexor and Ativan at night which helps her sleep and that is a blessing!! She had a follow up MRI of the brain May 10 which showed abnormal but stable with no new growth. She has some short term memory loss but not much else besides fatigue from the treatments. We were able to get her on SSI Disability with Medicaid super lightening fast and she will begin receiving regular SS Disability in August. The downside to that is she loses Medicaid and isn't eligible for Medicare for two years (crazy rule)!!!! There is a place in Abilene, Tx though that has a special Medicaid plan for pts dx with breast or cervical cancer so we have applied and are waiting for their answer. This is just a small rundown so anyone with questions or suggestions please feel free to comment. She is scheduled Monday July 2nd for a MRI of the brain, CT of the chest/abd, and total body bone scan. This will be a super long day!!! We should know all results on Friday the 6th at her reg appt. Prayers please as we await these new results!! Thank you everyone for you have all been a Godsend even though I have never posted unti now. Bless you all!!

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Welcome to the board
    As sad as it has been for your and your sister you both are very strong and determined fighters. I am glad that you are reaching out to us.
    She will be in my thoughts on Monday. It will be long and difficult day with all of the tests. SEnding positive thoughts and prayers to her way in Texas.
    New Flower
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Welcome to the board
    As sad as it has been for your and your sister you both are very strong and determined fighters. I am glad that you are reaching out to us.
    She will be in my thoughts on Monday. It will be long and difficult day with all of the tests. SEnding positive thoughts and prayers to her way in Texas.
    New Flower

Praying for your sister on
    Praying for your sister on Monday!

Hugs, Debby
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    DebbyM said:

Praying for your sister on
    Praying for your sister on Monday!

Hugs, Debby

More prayers
    Sending more prayers for your sister. I'm so sorry for all you both are going through but glad she has a great sister like you to help her through it. We are here to support you both 24/7. Please keep up updated.

Hugs and Positive thoughts, Debi
  • Debbye48
    Debbye48 Member Posts: 17
    I am praying for your sister
    I am praying for your sister and your Family
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Debbye48 said:

Sending prayers
    and positive energy to your sister. Even though things are rough right now, she is blessed to have a sister like you. Thank you so much for coming here. You will receive a ton of support and prayers.

Please keep checking back.

Hugs, Renee
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Debbye48 said:

Sending my prayers for your
    Sending my prayers for your sister.

Hug, Megan
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Yes, I was trying to figure
    Yes, I was trying to figure that out when I got approved for ssdi. I was told at the time that I did not qualify for long term through my work, but ended getting it approved for the two years, so I was able to keep up my insurance. But it goes away on April 1, 2013, then I will need to apply for medicaid. I feel very fortunate that the LTD went thru. I would also check with the local branch of American Cancer Society, and they should be able to tell you of any other programs that may benefit her.

Best of luck to you, and glad you found this board.

Carol
  • debsweb18
    debsweb18 Member Posts: 191 Member
    Sending prayers

Sending prayers
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    debsweb18 said:

Sending prayers

Sending prayers

I am adding my prayers along
    I am adding my prayers along with the other pink sisters.

Hugs, Lex
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Alexis F said:

I am adding my prayers along
    I am adding my prayers along with the other pink sisters.

Hugs, Lex

Welcome to the board! I am
    Welcome to the board! I am sending lots of prayers and hugs to your sister and to you also.

Hugs, Kylez
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Welcome to the board
    New Flower

Praying for good results.
    Praying for good results. Post when you can.

Hugs, Jan
  • Hennie
    Hennie Member Posts: 11
    PRAYERS
    To you and your sister. She is very fortunate that you are there when she most needs of you. Keep us posted please. God Bless

Hennie
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Hennie said:

PRAYERS
    To you and your sister. She is very fortunate that you are there when she most needs of you. Keep us posted please. God Bless

Hennie

Praying!
    Praying!