Update post robotic prostatectomy procedure on 1/30/2012

jbw901
jbw901 Member Posts: 23
edited June 2012 in Prostate Cancer #1
I am 8 days post robotic prostatectomy, after being diagnosed in July with early stage low-grade PCa (mid-50s, PSA 5.3, 1 core positive <5%, Gleason 3+3). Wrestled with active survelliance, but research and consults led me to the decision to proceed with surgical treatment.

Not an easy decision, but am glad to be moving forward with recovery.

Advice to those considering the decision of surgery
-Do research (Walsh, Scardino, McHugh books)
-Gain insight of individuals through a Protate Cancer Support Group
-Interview surgeons, finding someone you are confident in, who specializes in this procedure, and has a reputation as being "one of the best"

Comments

• Beau2
    Beau2 Member Posts: 261
    Welcome
    Hey jbw,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on having the surgery behind you.

Good luck in your recovery and your fight against PCa.
  • hunter49
    hunter49 Member Posts: 240 Member
    Welcome hope youare doing
    Welcome hope youare doing well. I am 12 weeks out all going well. Is your catheter out? Any leaking?
  • jbw901
    hunter49 said:

Welcome hope youare doing
    Welcome hope youare doing well. I am 12 weeks out all going well. Is your catheter out? Any leaking?

Catheter was removed
    Catheter was removed yesterday. So far no leakage. Was confident enough after leaving the doctor's office to stop at a restaurant and enjoy lunch with my wife.
  • littlemontana
    littlemontana Member Posts: 12
    jbw901 said:

Catheter was removed
    Catheter was removed yesterday. So far no leakage. Was confident enough after leaving the doctor's office to stop at a restaurant and enjoy lunch with my wife.

2 months robotic prostatectomy
    I am 67 had readings similar to yours 3+4 7 gleason psa 5.6 . I am in excellant health .
    The day I got my catheter out was a great relief . It was 11 days started to irritate .
    I celebrated about the same way. The younger and better condition you are seem to do the best.
    I ran most of my life in marathons and various distances found running was the easiest to stay in shape.It pays off when something like this happens. It will be interesting to follow you on this site.
  • jbw901
    7 week update - first post op PSA
    Received my first post op PSA results today - less than .1! Celebrated hitting a bucket of balls at the driving range after work.

I have been very fortunate in my decision and my recovery:
    - pathology report indicated more cancer than indicated in the original biopsy
    - returned to work part time after 2 weeks and full time after four weeks.
    - was continent after a few weeks, and at this point only wear a pad as a "security blanket" when I leave the house.
    - ED coming along.

I wish everyone who reaches the decision of Radical Prostatectomy can be as fortunate as I have been the past 7 weeks.
  • jbw901
    5 months post op update

Received my second post op PSA last week and again PSA undetectable!

I continue to be very fortunate in my decision and my recovery:
    - have returned to all my normal activities.
    - am almost 100% continent, and at this point only wear a small pad as a "security blanket" when I leave the house for a full day.
    - ED coming along with a little help from Cialas.

I wish everyone who reaches the decision of Radical Prostatectomy can be as fortunate as I have been. Very pleased that I was able to find such a experienced and talented surgeon in the Da Vinci procedure here in Atlanta.
  • jbw901
    duplicate removed

duplicate removed
  • jbw901
    duplicate removed

duplicate removed
  • VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    jbw901 said:

duplicate removed

duplicate removed

Zeros
    JBW

Congratulations for the success. Undetectable is your Zero and I hope to read your next update with a comment for the total recovery.

Best.
    VG
  • fcarpen
    fcarpen Member Posts: 4 Member
    jbw901 said:

5 months post op update

- am almost 100% continent, and at this point only wear a small pad as a "security blanket" when I leave the house for a full day.

I wish everyone who reaches the decision of Radical Prostatectomy can be as fortunate as I have been. Very pleased that I was able to find such a experienced and talented surgeon in the Da Vinci procedure here in Atlanta.

JBW,Great news! I am
    JBW,

Great news!

I am following your trail a few months behind. I had robot-assisted RP on April 30th. I am in my mid-50's, my Gleason was 3+3, PSA was 3.6. My first PSA test post-op showed it had dropped to 0.03. The margins were negative on the biopsy with no indication the cancer had spread outside of the gland.

My recovery has been phenomenal. I have not had the need for a pad once since surgery. Erectile function is normal with no need for drugs. I am now back to my active life style of running or cycling 5 to 6 days per week.

I was able to find a local urologist here in El Paso that has a reputation for being highly talented and very thorough. When they wheeled me into the OR, I had no second thoughts about my decision. I agree wholeheartedly with you that it is important to research the options available and to make an educated decision about the treatment that works best for each individual. If you decide on surgery, find a surgeon that is considered to be one of the best in the field. My surgeon does not have the best bed-side manners, but I'm not paying him to be my buddy. I want him to do what he does best, fix me.

I know I have been blessed with my outcome. I will never take it for granted. I too hope that those choosing the surgery option the very best!!

Fred
    El Paso, TX
  • NJO_58
    NJO_58 Member Posts: 1
    fcarpen said:

JBW,Great news! I am
    JBW,

Great news!

I am following your trail a few months behind. I had robot-assisted RP on April 30th. I am in my mid-50's, my Gleason was 3+3, PSA was 3.6. My first PSA test post-op showed it had dropped to 0.03. The margins were negative on the biopsy with no indication the cancer had spread outside of the gland.

My recovery has been phenomenal. I have not had the need for a pad once since surgery. Erectile function is normal with no need for drugs. I am now back to my active life style of running or cycling 5 to 6 days per week.

I was able to find a local urologist here in El Paso that has a reputation for being highly talented and very thorough. When they wheeled me into the OR, I had no second thoughts about my decision. I agree wholeheartedly with you that it is important to research the options available and to make an educated decision about the treatment that works best for each individual. If you decide on surgery, find a surgeon that is considered to be one of the best in the field. My surgeon does not have the best bed-side manners, but I'm not paying him to be my buddy. I want him to do what he does best, fix me.

I know I have been blessed with my outcome. I will never take it for granted. I too hope that those choosing the surgery option the very best!!

Fred
    El Paso, TX

robot-assisted RP
    I am in my mid-50's and had robot-assisted RP on May 21, 2012. My Gleason was 3+3. My recovery has been fair. I was in the hospital five days after the surgery. I had a problem with my blood pressure being low. Which was odd because I have hypertension.
  • jerseyguy891
    jerseyguy891 Member Posts: 18
    jbw901 said:

5 months post op update

Good News Post RP
    I am glad to hear all these success stories after RP. I have also heard some horror stories. I was diagnosed in March with PCa. I am 51, 1 core (23%) out 12 positive, Gleason 6. I decided on surgery but it is just a matter of when. Dr. said it's Ok to follow AS for now. JBW, you mentioned you went back to work after 2,4 weeks. If others can let me know how long before they returned to work I would appreciate it.

I wish all the best.
  • laserlight
    laserlight Member Posts: 165

Good News Post RP
    I am glad to hear all these success stories after RP. I have also heard some horror stories. I was diagnosed in March with PCa. I am 51, 1 core (23%) out 12 positive, Gleason 6. I decided on surgery but it is just a matter of when. Dr. said it's Ok to follow AS for now. JBW, you mentioned you went back to work after 2,4 weeks. If others can let me know how long before they returned to work I would appreciate it.

I wish all the best.

Jerseyguy
    I had the robotic surgery in feb of 2011. I was out of work for 6 weeks. My job is very physical. I work 12 hour days and have long time standing on my feet. My doctor wanted me to take it easy. It took me about 2 weeks to get moving again after surgery, walking,climbing stairs, normal daily functions. I was diagnosed in jan of 2011 my cancer was real bad. It was thru out the whole prostate. When I went into surgery I was at stage T2C, my Psa had doubled. Keep an eye on the cancer donot let this go. In my case if I had waited I would of had a lot more problems. I was 61 years old when diagnosed. take some time and do reaserch on the surgery, above all get a doctor that has a lot of skill in the area of robotic surgery. Also research all the treatment methods. My psa moves around from 0.02 to 0.03, the doctor says that this is undetectable. Good Luck and keep us posted
  • fcarpen
    fcarpen Member Posts: 4 Member

Good News Post RP

I wish all the best.

Jerseyguy,
    I work at a desk.

Jerseyguy,

I work at a desk. I did not work the first week after surgery. I worked from home the second week. I resumed my normal schedule after that. If my job had been more laborious, I would have needed more time before returning.

Good luck!
  • jbw901
    fcarpen said:

Jerseyguy,
    I work at a desk.

Jerseyguy,

I work at a desk. I did not work the first week after surgery. I worked from home the second week. I resumed my normal schedule after that. If my job had been more laborious, I would have needed more time before returning.

Good luck!

JerseyGuy,
    I also have a

JerseyGuy,

I also have a desk job which is how i was able to return in that timeframe. Fatigue require me to sleep in my office over lunch. Good luck
  • jbw901
    fcarpen said:

Jerseyguy,
    I work at a desk.

Jerseyguy,

Good luck!

JerseyGuy,
    I also have a

JerseyGuy,

I also have a desk job which is how i was able to return in that timeframe. Fatigue require me to sleep in my office over lunch. Good luck
  • jbw901
    jbw901 said:

5 months post op update

10 month post op update
    PSA checked last week and still undetectable

So glad to have moved on from considering AS, and have the surgery recovery behind me.

Wishing all that select surgery as treatment option are fortunate to have a successful procedure and recovery
  • beacon723
    beacon723 Member Posts: 15
    Congrats
    I wish you the Best jwb901, I too am eight days post-op robotic prostatectomy Da Vinci "S" model 3D, I am still have my Foley in place, I'll be very happy next Tuesday as it is to come out, the only thing holding me back is my bowel they had me on stool softeners but I had no urge to go, Last night I was dosed with Citric Mag, that worked, the only thing is I bleed around outside of the Foley tube, the Doctor said this is good? but it take some getting used to, he said this is the old blood left over after the bladder reconnection and will heal.
    Sorry if is turning into a boring story, But I am so full of questions I just get started and don't stop.
    Again the very Best of Luck to you!
    beacon723 (Ed)
  • jbw901
    beacon723 said:

Congrats
    I wish you the Best jwb901, I too am eight days post-op robotic prostatectomy Da Vinci "S" model 3D, I am still have my Foley in place, I'll be very happy next Tuesday as it is to come out, the only thing holding me back is my bowel they had me on stool softeners but I had no urge to go, Last night I was dosed with Citric Mag, that worked, the only thing is I bleed around outside of the Foley tube, the Doctor said this is good? but it take some getting used to, he said this is the old blood left over after the bladder reconnection and will heal.
    Sorry if is turning into a boring story, But I am so full of questions I just get started and don't stop.
    Again the very Best of Luck to you!
    beacon723 (Ed)

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you
    Good luck with your recovery beacon723. It takes time to get your energy level back, so take your time.
  • Mta4423
    Mta4423 Member Posts: 2
    fcarpen said:

JBW,Great news! I am
    JBW,

Great news!

Fred
    El Paso, TX

Surgeon

I have just been diagnosed and am curious about the name of your surgeon, you seemed very pleased with him!