Skin & Nipple Sparing Double Mastectomy

Katie17
Katie17 Member Posts: 8
Hi. I am 44 and having a skin and nipple sparing mastectomy next week for a diagnosis of DCIS that is too large to remove by lumpectomy. This type of procedure with implant reconstruction is supposed to produce a very natural looking breast post reconstruction, The surgeon will only do it if there are no cancer calls found on or near he nipple and believes that the chance hey could recur there are very slim as all ducts will have been removed and that's where the cancer cells start. I am very encouraged by the cosmetic results but am a little nervous about the possibility that cells may be left behind or cancer recurs there. Has anyone had this procedure done? Thank you.

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Katie .. I too, had the option presented to me
    when deciding on saline, or silicone implants after my bilateral mastectomy. My decision,
    my choice, -- was to opt for total reconstruction -- I did NOT want any .. tissue of my
    breast cancer to invade, new breasts. Ask you stated -- cancer cells can restart,
    trigger breast cancer on newly reconstructed tissue. Ask your Plastic Surgeon, or Oncologist for literature, or clinical trial data on this subject.

I too was diagnosed with DCIS, as well as HER2/neu.

Fast forward 2 years -- I am THRILLED with Barbie and Bambi my new ta-ta's. I am
    a 'C' cup - 850 cc of saline was my choice of implant. On March 7th, 2012 I did
    have my final surgery - nipples placement, and I could not be any happier! Tattoo's
    for my areola will my final procedure, this is scheduled for July 13th.

Again, this was my choice.

Best of luck to you!

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • Katie17
    Katie17 Member Posts: 8
    VickiSam said:

when deciding on saline, or silicone implants after my bilateral mastectomy. My decision,
    my choice, -- was to opt for total reconstruction -- I did NOT want any .. tissue of my
    breast cancer to invade, new breasts. Ask you stated -- cancer cells can restart,
    trigger breast cancer on newly reconstructed tissue. Ask your Plastic Surgeon, or Oncologist for literature, or clinical trial data on this subject.

Fast forward 2 years -- I am THRILLED with Barbie and Bambi my new ta-ta's. I am
    have my final surgery - nipples placement, and I could not be any happier! Tattoo's

Best of luck to you!

Vicki Sam

Thank You
    Thank you Vicki. It helps so much to be able to connect with so many women who have been through this. The stats actually show the recurrence rate to be very low. I am curious why you waited so long to finish the reconstruction. Was this just your choice? How was your recovery post surgery? I have two young boys and am trying to get a picture of how things will be for the next few weeks?
  • allyhendrikson
    allyhendrikson Member Posts: 9
    Katie17 said:

Thank You
    Thank you Vicki. It helps so much to be able to connect with so many women who have been through this. The stats actually show the recurrence rate to be very low. I am curious why you waited so long to finish the reconstruction. Was this just your choice? How was your recovery post surgery? I have two young boys and am trying to get a picture of how things will be for the next few weeks?

I made sure to block off a
    I made sure to block off a solid 2 weeks for my own recovery. After 1 week, I could do most things on my own and I was up and running, but to have that extra week of cushion room and just to solidify my recovery was really helpful! Best of luck with the two boys! Hopefully you can find someone to cart them around to soccer practice or whatnot!
  • Penny67
    Penny67 Member Posts: 65

I made sure to block off a
    I made sure to block off a solid 2 weeks for my own recovery. After 1 week, I could do most things on my own and I was up and running, but to have that extra week of cushion room and just to solidify my recovery was really helpful! Best of luck with the two boys! Hopefully you can find someone to cart them around to soccer practice or whatnot!

I had the skin sparing...
    I had the skin sparing/nipple sparing double mastectomy last August 11 at age 44. I had Stage 2 IDC, grade 1 er+, pr+, Hr-. I had tissue expanders put in during surgery to make room for the implants. I did end up doing chemo and radiation because I had slight traces of cancer cells in 2 of 9 nodes. Because of having radiation and the strange thing it does to your tissues, I am hoping to finally be healed enough to have my reconstructive surgery in the next month or so. I will tell you that my recovery wasn't easy. Because they basically have to pull the muscle away from the chest wall to make room for the expanders (or implants if you have immediate reconstruction), it is quite painful. The best way to describe it is feeling like you have an elephant sitting on your chest. I was happy to have good pain meds to take the edge off.

If I did not have to do chemo or radiation, I would still not have gone back to work for at least 6 weeks. I had 4 drains with the last being removed about 5 weeks after surgery. I did have my mom staying with me for 2 weeks to help out so my husband could concentrate on our 3 kids. My mom helped me with my drains as I just could not stomach doing them myself, which is funny because nothing bloody etc. has ever bothered me before. I learned when it is on my own body I have a problem. I hope your recovery goes well. Maybe I am just a slow healer and a bit wimpy!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    VickiSam said:

Best of luck to you!

Vicki Sam

Katie, I had a lumpectomy
    Katie, I had a lumpectomy with rads, but, wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery. Be sure and keep us updated as to how it goes and how you are doing.

Best of luck,

Kylez
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    VickiSam said:

Best of luck to you!

Vicki Sam

Wishing you a successful
    Wishing you a successful surgery Katie!

Hugs, Diane
  • Blondiemomma
    Blondiemomma Member Posts: 41
    Uniboob
    I had a unilateral skin sparing nipple sparing mastectomy last July. This past March I had my build-a-boob surgery. I elected to go smaller with a saline implant. Right now it is still a bit "unfortunate" looking but it isn't the Frankenboob I was afraid I would end up with. My boobs still reside in different hemispheres so I'm going to have a lift on my oldie this fall.

This tissue expanders are like having bricks shoved in your chest so don't get discouraged; the real implants will be better. They tested my nipple and I am not in the least worried about keeping it. It looks different but it's still all mine!
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    A Good Question
    Dear Katie,

I did ask my oncology surgeon about saving my nipples and he responded, "No." At age 65, I had 0 stage DCIS but my margins were not clear after 2 surgical biopsies. I could not bear a third surgical biopsy and hearing that my margins still were not clear. Hence, I then decided on a contralateral mastectomy (one breast had the DCIS and the other breast did not have cancer) because I wanted breast reconstruction and I wanted to be symmetrical with the implants.

There seems to be differences of opinion between the doctors on saving the nipples. Certain guidelines dictate "yes" or "no". This is a tough decision for you to make.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Uniboob
    I had a unilateral skin sparing nipple sparing mastectomy last July. This past March I had my build-a-boob surgery. I elected to go smaller with a saline implant. Right now it is still a bit "unfortunate" looking but it isn't the Frankenboob I was afraid I would end up with. My boobs still reside in different hemispheres so I'm going to have a lift on my oldie this fall.

This tissue expanders are like having bricks shoved in your chest so don't get discouraged; the real implants will be better. They tested my nipple and I am not in the least worried about keeping it. It looks different but it's still all mine!

Good luck tomorrow
    Good luck tomorrow Katie.

Hugs, Jan
  • lauriesandiego
    lauriesandiego Member Posts: 4 Member
    doctor's name
    Hi Katie, I was just diagnosed with DCIS; I am a very young and active 52. I need an MRI and then I meet with the doctor to tell me the size and plan. I currently have implants. I also found out last year I have a rare genetic liver disease. I don't think I'll be able to have radiation or chemo because of the liver disease (I'm meeting with my hepatologist). Right now, I am hoping for a lumpectomy with no other treatments. If I have to have a masectomy, I definitely want the NSM. You are one of the few people saying it is supposed to produce a fairly natural looking breast. Can you send the name of your doctor?