Catheter Flipped Up

fatbob2010
fatbob2010 Member Posts: 467 Member
Has anybody had trouble with the catheter flipping up on their port? Was having an ache in the Jugular and the Oncologist referred back to interventional radiology for a check. They found that the catheter had somehow flipped up and kinked. They were able to pull it back into position using a wire up the groin (femoral artery). Has anybody else had this happen and what was the cause?

Comments

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Mine flipped on installation
    I was in terrible pain post-placement, and the nurses kept telling me I was blowing things out of proportion "This is a 2 tylenol procedure". However, I insisted, and the radiologist who placed the port remembered I was having a CT scan the same day, so she checked the CT, and found that the cath had flipped.

They kept me overnight in the hospital on pain meds, and removed and replaced the port and catheter the next morning. I was told that this happens in fewer than 1 in 500 cases. Lucky me.

2nd port was uneventful, tho the post-port scar is bigger than most because of all the work in a short time - recutting the incision, and using steristrips instead of glue the second go-round.

Alice
  • fatbob2010
    fatbob2010 Member Posts: 467 Member
    abrub said:

Mine flipped on installation
    I was in terrible pain post-placement, and the nurses kept telling me I was blowing things out of proportion "This is a 2 tylenol procedure". However, I insisted, and the radiologist who placed the port remembered I was having a CT scan the same day, so she checked the CT, and found that the cath had flipped.

They kept me overnight in the hospital on pain meds, and removed and replaced the port and catheter the next morning. I was told that this happens in fewer than 1 in 500 cases. Lucky me.

2nd port was uneventful, tho the post-port scar is bigger than most because of all the work in a short time - recutting the incision, and using steristrips instead of glue the second go-round.

Alice

1 - 500 Cases
    Thanks for the helpful information!! It was the similar for me with the aggravated vein that was uncomfortable (painful). But, minus the hospital stay. However, mine flipped after the second treatment. Chose not to have a new port since treatment is scheduled for Wednesday and was concerned about possible delays in treatment. Blessings and Hugs to you.
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member

1 - 500 Cases
    Thanks for the helpful information!! It was the similar for me with the aggravated vein that was uncomfortable (painful). But, minus the hospital stay. However, mine flipped after the second treatment. Chose not to have a new port since treatment is scheduled for Wednesday and was concerned about possible delays in treatment. Blessings and Hugs to you.

My port is now long gone
    It was removed almost exactly 4 years ago, and I've been doing great since! I wish you a similar outcome!

Alice
  • Momof2plusteentwins
    Momof2plusteentwins Member Posts: 509 Member
    abrub said:

My port is now long gone
    It was removed almost exactly 4 years ago, and I've been doing great since! I wish you a similar outcome!

Alice

Port kinked
    When I had my port put in April it worked fine the first week (I was getting 5FU 24/7). Then when I went in to get a new bag and it changed that night it leaked all over my skin. It was going at a slow rate 1.5 ml/hr, so it wasn't a lot but it did burn my skin. I went to the radiologist and they did an ultrasound and found out it was kinking when I would be in a certain position. They said that this is rare. Of course it would happen to me. I ended up getting a Picc.
    Sandy