My 1st Chemo !

StaceyPMD1121
StaceyPMD1121 Member Posts: 65
Good Morning Pink Sisters:

I had my 1st chemo session on Friday, June 8th and it went well. I know it was the prayers & positive thoughts from you all that got me through it. The staff was excellent and I met the rest of the chemo support staff (nutritionist,social worker, chaplin, ACS patient rep.). My chemo nurse Jo-Ann shares my birthday that's a good sign. We connected and laughed all day. She gave me an ice pack to hold on my chemo port to numb it up. The first 2 hours was given fluids,then 2 anti-nausea drugs, then 3 chemo drugs, flushed out my chemo port, then got a free cab ride home. My treatment started at 8:30- 5:30. I just experienced a little mild chest pain while the chemo drugs were being given. While waiting for my cab pickup I experienced cramping, bloating, constipation. I was told to take my benefiber with 1 or 2 colace tabs. The nurse suggested to get Senokot-S which combines the fiber laxative with the colace in a tablet. I was sent home with a wig, scarves, and Ensure,and a new tote bag. I went to chemo like the true bag lady that I am which I got from my grandma Dottie. I had a roller bookbag, my backpack for my chemo research netbook,and a bag with my snacks. I know I have to down size. My boyfriend, Brad was very caring, constantly asking how am I doing? He cooked me dinner. Got a few check in phone calls from friends & family. I was not upset that I experienced my first chemo without a friend or family member there. I happened to meet a old friend from junior & senior high and we exchanged numbers. Last night I experienced a little nausea so I started taking my anti-nausea meds. I am sleeping a lot. I a mad that Disney took off the Soap Opera Network from Comcast/Xfinity. I know have Young & the Restless set on my DVR to tape daily. Have a Great Day my Sisters.

Peace,Blesssings, Love, & Hugs,
Stacey

Comments

• CMW48
    CMW48 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the info!
    I am tentatively scheduled to start chemo on June 20th (depending on my doctor visit this Wednesday) and was wondering what it would be like. Now I kind of have an idea of how it might go. Did they put your port in the same day?

Oh, I just read your post on my very first post on these pages that your port was put in on May 30. They told me they would put the port in the same day as my first treatment, which seems kind of odd to me. I guess it's always different for everyone. Will pray for you to do well. How long are you to be on chemo?
  • StaceyPMD1121
    CMW48 said:

Thanks for the info!
    I am tentatively scheduled to start chemo on June 20th (depending on my doctor visit this Wednesday) and was wondering what it would be like. Now I kind of have an idea of how it might go. Did they put your port in the same day?

Oh, I just read your post on my very first post on these pages that your port was put in on May 30. They told me they would put the port in the same day as my first treatment, which seems kind of odd to me. I guess it's always different for everyone. Will pray for you to do well. How long are you to be on chemo?

You will be fine, CMW48!

Hi CMW48:

I got my port in a week early due to my female cancer surgeon & male chemo doctor's vacation schedules. They can give you an ice pack to hold on your port which will numb the area. They can offer you a numbing cream for your next appt. that takes 1 hour to take effect. I have to do 6 rounds of chemo. One down and 5 more to go. Have an appt. on Friday for bloodwork and my next chemo is June 29th. I am doing pretty good right now. My prayers are with you for your first chemo. Stay positive,ask questions,take notes, and you will be okay. Keep me posted on your progress.

Peace,Blessings,Love,& Hugs,
    Stacey
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

You will be fine, CMW48!

Hi CMW48:

I got my port in a week early due to my female cancer surgeon & male chemo doctor's vacation schedules. They can give you an ice pack to hold on your port which will numb the area. They can offer you a numbing cream for your next appt. that takes 1 hour to take effect. I have to do 6 rounds of chemo. One down and 5 more to go. Have an appt. on Friday for bloodwork and my next chemo is June 29th. I am doing pretty good right now. My prayers are with you for your first chemo. Stay positive,ask questions,take notes, and you will be okay. Keep me posted on your progress.

Stacey

So glad your first treatment went well, Stacey
    You certainly sounded like you were prepared--good for you! I usually brought a book or I-pod, but many times there were some really nice people getting chemo while I was there and we would just end up talking the whole time. I felt like I was at the beauty parlor!

Remember to drink, drink, drink and try to rest and relax. Prayers and positive energy coming your way so that you can sail through these treatments. You can do this!

Hugs, Renee
  • salls41
    salls41 Member Posts: 340
    ! step closer
    Congrats on getting that first chemo out of the way. I did the 6 rounds of TAC every 3 weeks and finished up April 19th. The hardest part for me was drinking enough fluids to stay well hydrated. Try to get as much liquid in every day as you can possibly hold, it will help with everything! Take good care of you, thats the only thing that matters right now! Try not to get too aggravated with Nikki and Victor and Phyllis. Sharon has simply gone off the deep end these days. Just wait unitl Michael has to prosecute all these people for their past crimes! :) take care Stacey!! Hugs to you!
  • GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 134
    salls41 said:

! step closer
    Congrats on getting that first chemo out of the way. I did the 6 rounds of TAC every 3 weeks and finished up April 19th. The hardest part for me was drinking enough fluids to stay well hydrated. Try to get as much liquid in every day as you can possibly hold, it will help with everything! Take good care of you, thats the only thing that matters right now! Try not to get too aggravated with Nikki and Victor and Phyllis. Sharon has simply gone off the deep end these days. Just wait unitl Michael has to prosecute all these people for their past crimes! :) take care Stacey!! Hugs to you!

With your amazing attitude
    With your amazing attitude and sense of humor you will do just fine. I also was a bag lady during my treatments. Hope you continue to feel well and will be cheering you on all the way.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    You're blessed to have a great staff!
    Stacey, sounds like you were in GOOD hands! I'm glad it went well for you. Before you know it, it'll be over.

Sending my prayers,

Sylvia
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    sea60 said:

Stacey, sounds like you were in GOOD hands! I'm glad it went well for you. Before you know it, it'll be over.

Sending my prayers,

Sylvia

Stacey .. I've posted this on many threads ...
    just my suggestions -- this helped me thru 18 consecutive weekly TCH treatments ---

First of all, it is okay to be anxious of the unknown -- Please don't allow this anxiety to get the best of you. Remember to alert your Onco RN of any unusual feelings etc .. a list of possible side efforts, which should be presented to you before your first chemo infusion

It is so important to remain and continue hydration, water - water, and more water. Splash in a little lemonade, cranberry juice -- or prepackaged crystal light, or Lipton Tea. Herbal Tea's also work for a change of pace.

If you are getting the neulasta shot -- Please ask your Oncologist about taking a benadryl -- or claritin -- which many of us === swear by -- as they help alleviate that 'just run over by a truck' aches and pains - some of us experience from the neulasta shot.

Ask for prescriptions for nausea and vomiting -- as well as diarrhea.

Plastic silverware is a must ---
    biotin toothpaste and mouthwash is a daily essential
    (available at most Target's or Wall-Mart's)

Food is subjective -- depending on your personal needs and taste buds .. What taste good or was tolerable 1 week -- changed for me, the very next. I could not tolerate any foods with sugar, i.e. ketchup, or cola's.

To help prevent mouth sores -- suck on ice chips during all chemo treatments.

Rest when you can, as some chemo queens have bouts of insomnia ---

Take goodies to entertain yourself during your infusions -- games, books, friend, a snack, IPOD, laptop ...

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    VickiSam said:

Stacey .. I've posted this on many threads ...
    just my suggestions -- this helped me thru 18 consecutive weekly TCH treatments ---

First of all, it is okay to be anxious of the unknown -- Please don't allow this anxiety to get the best of you. Remember to alert your Onco RN of any unusual feelings etc .. a list of possible side efforts, which should be presented to you before your first chemo infusion

It is so important to remain and continue hydration, water - water, and more water. Splash in a little lemonade, cranberry juice -- or prepackaged crystal light, or Lipton Tea. Herbal Tea's also work for a change of pace.

If you are getting the neulasta shot -- Please ask your Oncologist about taking a benadryl -- or claritin -- which many of us === swear by -- as they help alleviate that 'just run over by a truck' aches and pains - some of us experience from the neulasta shot.

Ask for prescriptions for nausea and vomiting -- as well as diarrhea.

Plastic silverware is a must ---
    biotin toothpaste and mouthwash is a daily essential
    (available at most Target's or Wall-Mart's)

Food is subjective -- depending on your personal needs and taste buds .. What taste good or was tolerable 1 week -- changed for me, the very next. I could not tolerate any foods with sugar, i.e. ketchup, or cola's.

To help prevent mouth sores -- suck on ice chips during all chemo treatments.

Rest when you can, as some chemo queens have bouts of insomnia ---

Take goodies to entertain yourself during your infusions -- games, books, friend, a snack, IPOD, laptop ...

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam

Well Done Stacey!
    I'm so glad your first treatment went to well. Keep that wonderful positive attitude!!

Hugs, Debi
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    One down, but who's counting?!?!?!?! :)
    Hi Stacey -- These treatments will go fast. You'll see.

When I felt nausea I would take "ativan" which also helped with my anxiety.

Be careful with the constipation!!! For me, this was the WORST part. Not sure if they told you, but during chemo, it's best to eat in small portions, more often. I would have 6 to 7 very small meals. These included fruits. Also, very important to eat foods with fiber. Your chemo + your nausea meds will make you extra constipated so you need to be careful. I suggest you take stool softeners, starting two days prior to chemo moving forward. And take them religiously.

Drink, drink, drink!!! You must drink a lot of water. Avoid grapefruit (as this interferes with some treatments, including tamoxifen).

Eat a lot of veggies, colorful peppers, things that will help increase your white and red blood cell count. Very important!

I hope all your treatments go super fast and smoothly...

YAY to you!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    missrenee said:

You certainly sounded like you were prepared--good for you! I usually brought a book or I-pod, but many times there were some really nice people getting chemo while I was there and we would just end up talking the whole time. I felt like I was at the beauty parlor!

Remember to drink, drink, drink and try to rest and relax. Prayers and positive energy coming your way so that you can sail through these treatments. You can do this!

Hugs, Renee

Very happy Stacey that your
    Very happy Stacey that your 1st chemo went so well for you. Praying they all do!

Hugs, Angie
  • salls41
    salls41 Member Posts: 340

Be careful with the constipation!!! For me, this was the WORST part. Not sure if they told you, but during chemo, it's best to eat in small portions, more often. I would have 6 to 7 very small meals. These included fruits. Also, very important to eat foods with fiber. Your chemo + your nausea meds will make you extra constipated so you need to be careful. I suggest you take stool softeners, starting two days prior to chemo moving forward. And take them religiously.

Drink, drink, drink!!! You must drink a lot of water. Avoid grapefruit (as this interferes with some treatments, including tamoxifen).

Eat a lot of veggies, colorful peppers, things that will help increase your white and red blood cell count. Very important!

YAY to you!

YES!
    Yes you are so right, no one warned me about the constipation! I suffered dearly one weekend! I remembered my Mom having severe constipation before she passed and the nurse gave her Milk of Mag with Prune juice warmed and it worked for her so I tried it... IT WORKS but do not over do it! Went from constipated to barely making it to the commode within hours.
  • StaceyPMD1121
    missrenee said:

Hugs, Renee

Thanks Renee

Thanks for your prayers and support. My prayers are with you also.

Stacey
  • StaceyPMD1121
    Angie2U said:

Very happy Stacey that your
    Very happy Stacey that your 1st chemo went so well for you. Praying they all do!

Hugs, Angie

Thanks Angie

Thanks for your support and my prayers are with you.

Peace,Blessings,Love,Hugs,
    Stacey
  • StaceyPMD1121
    salls41 said:

! step closer

Thanks Salls41

Salls41 Girl you made me laugh about the YOUNG & RESTLESS.LOL. Ricky (Paul Williams'son is a pycho-trip. You know he killed Phyllis' doctor & ex-girlfriend. Who will he kill next?Phyllis and of course Daisy she knows to much. Ricky's sister the Asst. D.A. seems like she is time enough for him. Thanks for your support & Hugs back to you.

Peace,Blessings,Love & Hugs,
    Stacey
  • StaceyPMD1121
    sea60 said:

Sending my prayers,

Sylvia

Thanks Sylvia

I am trully blessed with a great staff and blessed to have my pink sisters like you to see me through. Thanks for your prayers and my prayers go out to you in return. I know you smother your little guy with lots of kisses he is adorable.

Peace,Blessings,Love,&Hugs,

Stacey
  • StaceyPMD1121

YAY to you!

Thanks, LoveBabyJesus I Love Jesus too!!!

Thank you for the good advice. Yes,I need to eat smaller meals before 7 pm. To cut down on the acid reflux I get every night when I lay down. I am refilling 1.5 liter bottle of water drinking 1 or more per day. Trying to eat salad, fresh vegatables, and fruit. I will start drinking my Ensure for nutrition. My faith in Jesus is what is helping me to make it day by day.

Peace,Blessings,Love, & Hugs,
    Stacey
  • StaceyPMD1121
    salls41 said:

YES!
    Yes you are so right, no one warned me about the constipation! I suffered dearly one weekend! I remembered my Mom having severe constipation before she passed and the nurse gave her Milk of Mag with Prune juice warmed and it worked for her so I tried it... IT WORKS but do not over do it! Went from constipated to barely making it to the commode within hours.

Thanks Salls41

Sister I cannot drink prune juice. Do you think applejuice would do? I don't like milk of mag either. My nurse suggested I get Senokot-S, which combines the fiber laxative and colace in a tablet form. Thanks for the advice.

Hugs,
    Stacey
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    debi.18 said:

Well Done Stacey!
    I'm so glad your first treatment went to well. Keep that wonderful positive attitude!!

Hugs, Debi

Glad to read that your first
    Glad to read that your first chemo went so well for you. Soon we will be celebrating with you the final chemo!

Hugs, Angie