How common are micro spots on liver?

Momof2plusteentwins
Momof2plusteentwins Member Posts: 509 Member
I am having surgery on June 19th and my surgeon said when he does liver resection (I have 1 liver mets about 1") he will do an ultrasound during surgery and if there are any micro spots he will not do anything and close me up and I will start chemo. Is it common to have micro spots? I know CT and pet doesn't pick up spots less than an 1". I'm worried that there may be more.
Sandy

Comments

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Hi Sandy
    I don't have an answer to your question, but do have some things I am wondering about.

Does your doctor seem to think that this is a very real possibility (micro spots)? If so, why is he opting to attempt the liver resection first instead of chemo?

Have you or are you able to get a second opinion about your options?

I would just hate to see you go thru an operation and have nothing positive done to remove the met you do know about.

Best wishes for all success,

Marie who loves kitties
  • k1
    k1 Member Posts: 220 Member
    This is standard procedure
    This is standard procedure during a liver resection (to do an ultrasound to look fore small lesions on the liver.

K1
  • Vickilg
    Vickilg Member Posts: 281 Member
    k1 said:

This is standard procedure
    This is standard procedure during a liver resection (to do an ultrasound to look fore small lesions on the liver.

K1

Something Surgeons Say...
    Hi, there... Good luck with the surgery and try not to worry. With all of my surgeries they told me more or less the same thing... if once they get in there if there is more cancer than anticipated, they will call off the surgery and do the chemo first. Its never happen so I may be wrong but I group this as just something they say.
  • Momof2plusteentwins
    Momof2plusteentwins Member Posts: 509 Member
    Vickilg said:

Something Surgeons Say...
    Hi, there... Good luck with the surgery and try not to worry. With all of my surgeries they told me more or less the same thing... if once they get in there if there is more cancer than anticipated, they will call off the surgery and do the chemo first. Its never happen so I may be wrong but I group this as just something they say.

Vicki
    Thanks, that makes me a better. Just nervous, they are taking rectal tumor & liver resection in one surgery.
    Sandy
  • PatchAdams
    PatchAdams Member Posts: 271
    micro spots
    Prior to my liver resection, my liver surgeon read me a page of possibilities and had me initial that I had been told 'up to 9% of patients undergoing liver resection present with microscopic mets..... 5% chance of mortality.....' type possibilities. It's all CYA stuff.

I've only heard of one patient in my 4 years as a cancer patient that was opened and found to have hundreds of spots 'like glitter' all through her abdomen and that was in the last few months.