The radiation journey

13»

Comments

• Sam999
    Sam999 Member Posts: 319 Member

How many calorie
    I've been using Complete (which is also tube-only), but have to do two cans, as it's only 250 calories per...and I'm trying to make even my liquid calories to go over the 500 calories mark.

The Carnation Instant breafast VHC tastes almost exactly the same as Ensure (not bad at all), but it is a little thicker. 560 calories per can, and wash it down with a glass of whole milk, brings that total 740 calories. Ensure has 350 calories, but washed down with the milk brings that total to 530.

Sam...if you can drink Ensure Plus, you can drink VHC...it's not bad at all (according to the 10 tastebuds I have left, anyway :))...Want me to send you a can?

p

Hi phrannie,
    I have yet to

Hi phrannie,

I have yet to try ensure plus. I am just doing whey protein mixes. I am not losing weight yet but i know a lot ofw that will change starting this week. I will give ensure a try first and than go ahead and order carnation vhc. Thanks for the offer to send over :)

My smothies are definately low in calorie. Even with ice cream added, it does not go above 300 calorie.

Sam
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Sam999 said:

Hi phrannie,
    I have yet to

Hi phrannie,

I have yet to try ensure plus. I am just doing whey protein mixes. I am not losing weight yet but i know a lot ofw that will change starting this week. I will give ensure a try first and than go ahead and order carnation vhc. Thanks for the offer to send over :)

My smothies are definately low in calorie. Even with ice cream added, it does not go above 300 calorie.

Sam

Sam...back when I was still doing smoothies....
    I was using the protein powder for weight lifters...4 scoops of that add up to 700 calories. I was mixing it with 1/2 and 1/2 (40 calories a tablespoon)...then I'd add things to make it taste good (like icecream and a 1/2 avacodo..which has little taste, or an evelope of Shakeology which does taste good, and has 16 grams of protein).

If that doesn't appeal, along with the icecream see if you can find some soft Silken Tofu...it's tasteless, but 1/2 of box (tho not real high in calorie), does contain 8 grams of protein. I'm sure you can find it at that whole food grocery...it doesn't change the texture either.

p
  • Sam999

Sam...back when I was still doing smoothies....
    I was using the protein powder for weight lifters...4 scoops of that add up to 700 calories. I was mixing it with 1/2 and 1/2 (40 calories a tablespoon)...then I'd add things to make it taste good (like icecream and a 1/2 avacodo..which has little taste, or an evelope of Shakeology which does taste good, and has 16 grams of protein).

If that doesn't appeal, along with the icecream see if you can find some soft Silken Tofu...it's tasteless, but 1/2 of box (tho not real high in calorie), does contain 8 grams of protein. I'm sure you can find it at that whole food grocery...it doesn't change the texture either.

p

Pharannie, the shakology
    Pharannie, the shakology stuff really looks good. I never knew about it before, it does have anti oxidents so may not be good for now but definately going to try it post treatment.

I will also look for protein powder for weight lifters, right now i am just using pure whey protein from whole foods which is very good but has less calories.

Thanks,
    Sam
  • Mrs. Sarge
    Mrs. Sarge Member Posts: 206 Member
    Sam999 said:

Pharannie, the shakology
    Pharannie, the shakology stuff really looks good. I never knew about it before, it does have anti oxidents so may not be good for now but definately going to try it post treatment.

I will also look for protein powder for weight lifters, right now i am just using pure whey protein from whole foods which is very good but has less calories.

Thanks,
    Sam

9 more rads to go!!!
    I can't wait!!! The side effects are getting just a little worse, but still coping OK. Had company all week end, cooking and cleaning and getting thru it! Lost a little weight, maybe 4 lbs. total but like others that is fine as I could lose 10 and be glad!!! Still eating fairly good. Had to stop my hot coffee. Cool it down with cream/milk and I can still tolerate it. Spicy isn't too fun! Feeling tired more, but don't know if its the rads or out of routine, we'll see later this week. In the middle of all this I'm having to have a root canal, totally unrelated but not wanted at this particular time!!!! The Dr. said my side effects could get worse this week so not looking forward to that, but am looking forward to being done. A little neck redness, no other issues with the skin. Using the cream they prescribed, faithfully. As for the MM, I have it but it doesn't numb completely. Pat, I would would LOVE for it to be completely numb, I think! I sometimes wonder if my throat will EVER feel good again or my voice sound right again. Of course, before this all started my voice wasn't so hot, with surgeries/biopsies, but now I can only whisper....not good!!! Oh well, they say this too shall pass. Again I say, I can't wait!!!
  • Sam999

9 more rads to go!!!
    I can't wait!!! The side effects are getting just a little worse, but still coping OK. Had company all week end, cooking and cleaning and getting thru it! Lost a little weight, maybe 4 lbs. total but like others that is fine as I could lose 10 and be glad!!! Still eating fairly good. Had to stop my hot coffee. Cool it down with cream/milk and I can still tolerate it. Spicy isn't too fun! Feeling tired more, but don't know if its the rads or out of routine, we'll see later this week. In the middle of all this I'm having to have a root canal, totally unrelated but not wanted at this particular time!!!! The Dr. said my side effects could get worse this week so not looking forward to that, but am looking forward to being done. A little neck redness, no other issues with the skin. Using the cream they prescribed, faithfully. As for the MM, I have it but it doesn't numb completely. Pat, I would would LOVE for it to be completely numb, I think! I sometimes wonder if my throat will EVER feel good again or my voice sound right again. Of course, before this all started my voice wasn't so hot, with surgeries/biopsies, but now I can only whisper....not good!!! Oh well, they say this too shall pass. Again I say, I can't wait!!!

Mrs. Sarge,
    Did you you

Mrs. Sarge,

Did you you cooked and cleaned for the company? Or they came to cook and clean for you? If first is true, you are just doing amazing. I thought towards the last few days, one feels very tired.

Yes, i am counting every day too! Cant wait for all this to be over!

My daughters graduation is in my last week, i am soo hoping i can for that. Based on what i read here, there is a good chance i can go.

Sam
  • phrannie51

9 more rads to go!!!

If you cooked and cleaned....
    then you are way more woman than I am...LOL. That takes energy to spare (I have none to spare)...I dusted and vacumned one room, and took a 3 hour nap..ha!

As of today, I have 9 rads left, too....WHOO HOO the machine is fixed!!

You're doing SO good, Mrs. Sarge!

Sam...I heard you can get the weight lifters protein powder at Walmart for way cheaper than I paid for it at the health food store. I stuck with Vanilla, because you can change the flavor pretty much to anything that appeals to you.

p
  • Mrs. Sarge

If you cooked and cleaned....
    then you are way more woman than I am...LOL. That takes energy to spare (I have none to spare)...I dusted and vacumned one room, and took a 3 hour nap..ha!

As of today, I have 9 rads left, too....WHOO HOO the machine is fixed!!

You're doing SO good, Mrs. Sarge!

Sam...I heard you can get the weight lifters protein powder at Walmart for way cheaper than I paid for it at the health food store. I stuck with Vanilla, because you can change the flavor pretty much to anything that appeals to you.

p

Thanks for the encouragement
    but in all fairness mine just isn't as severe as ya'lls!! No way!!! BUT I do think God is helping me also!!! Yes, I did the cooking and cleaning!!! Graduation celebrations and grandkids from out of town, staying with me and kids here over for dinners....well, you gotta do what you gotta do! :) I found it kept my mind off of my sore throat. I think I even gained weight, which I didn't want to do, but I guess at this point it's better than losing! I didn't get to talk much, my voice is gone! Hope it comes back somewhat at least. Didn't want more praise than I deserve for sure!! My praise is for ya'll doing the chemo and rads route and surviving! I'm fixing that Mineral Broth today....it's smelling good!
  • Sam999

Thanks for the encouragement
    but in all fairness mine just isn't as severe as ya'lls!! No way!!! BUT I do think God is helping me also!!! Yes, I did the cooking and cleaning!!! Graduation celebrations and grandkids from out of town, staying with me and kids here over for dinners....well, you gotta do what you gotta do! :) I found it kept my mind off of my sore throat. I think I even gained weight, which I didn't want to do, but I guess at this point it's better than losing! I didn't get to talk much, my voice is gone! Hope it comes back somewhat at least. Didn't want more praise than I deserve for sure!! My praise is for ya'll doing the chemo and rads route and surviving! I'm fixing that Mineral Broth today....it's smelling good!

17 rads done, 13 more to go
    It feels good to having a smaller number of rads left and more done! here is my status:

I have two sores on tonogue and one on the roof of the mouth that are not going away. They are not hurting when i am not eating but they sting when i eat so started using magic mouthwash for eating, I have added caphasol along with mugard, unfortunately my doc is not allowing l-glutamine! I am hoping sores do not get too bad over this week.

My throat also hurts so using advil for that. Pain is not too bad.

No mucuos yet but throat gets dryer than dessert! Almost makes me throw up sometimes. Also there is a small lump of mucous that does stay in my throat all the time!

I have a gross trick that i do ..but it works for dryness and lets me sleep thru night! I take clarified butter (ghee) and rub is on my tougue and cheeks. I tried that last night as stoppers 4 is now working for a short time. You could try olie oil too.

My energy level is good, weight is good, do sleep thru night with some wake up minutes.

I had developed nausea which i realized was due to gas and constipation. I have reduced my protein intake, use bolthouse smooaothies and added some fiber like apple(boiled and pureed). Since i use MM apple puree does not sting.

My skin still is doing very good so far.
  • phrannie51
    Sam999 said:

17 rads done, 13 more to go
    It feels good to having a smaller number of rads left and more done! here is my status:

I have two sores on tonogue and one on the roof of the mouth that are not going away. They are not hurting when i am not eating but they sting when i eat so started using magic mouthwash for eating, I have added caphasol along with mugard, unfortunately my doc is not allowing l-glutamine! I am hoping sores do not get too bad over this week.

My throat also hurts so using advil for that. Pain is not too bad.

No mucuos yet but throat gets dryer than dessert! Almost makes me throw up sometimes. Also there is a small lump of mucous that does stay in my throat all the time!

I have a gross trick that i do ..but it works for dryness and lets me sleep thru night! I take clarified butter (ghee) and rub is on my tougue and cheeks. I tried that last night as stoppers 4 is now working for a short time. You could try olie oil too.

My energy level is good, weight is good, do sleep thru night with some wake up minutes.

I had developed nausea which i realized was due to gas and constipation. I have reduced my protein intake, use bolthouse smooaothies and added some fiber like apple(boiled and pureed). Since i use MM apple puree does not sting.

My skin still is doing very good so far.

You're hanging in there very well, Sam!!
    Next week at this time, you be down to the single digits!! What relief it was for me to get below 10. Sorry about the mouth sores, they are buggers when you need to eat...glad the MM works for you, tho.

I found out that my grocery store carries Bolthouse so will be stopping there tomorrow on my way home from rads...very excited to try something other than Ensure and VHC...they might even boost my appetite (which I have little of).

p
  • Mrs. Sarge

You're hanging in there very well, Sam!!
    Next week at this time, you be down to the single digits!! What relief it was for me to get below 10. Sorry about the mouth sores, they are buggers when you need to eat...glad the MM works for you, tho.

I found out that my grocery store carries Bolthouse so will be stopping there tomorrow on my way home from rads...very excited to try something other than Ensure and VHC...they might even boost my appetite (which I have little of).

p

4 more
    rads to go!! Going to the store to get some of those Bolthouse smoothies and potatoes for mashing and ingredients for more of the Mineral Broth. I'm trying to pet myself these last few days, rest more, eat/drink more nutritiously, just get through it all! Hoping the after effects don't last too long, but according to so many on these boards, they might!! My neck VERY red, no cracks yet, but mucous choking/gagging me. Still swallowing meds that are tablets and my throat is so dry and sore that I'm afraid they'll stick in my throat and I won't know it! It feels like something is stuck in there all the time anyway....not a good feeling. May ask the Dr. if he can prescribe something for swelling. Anyone else get RX for swelling? So far tho, so good. Get thru this week and maybe the next month and hopefully we'll start healing!! Let's go guys!!!!!
  • phrannie51

4 more
    rads to go!! Going to the store to get some of those Bolthouse smoothies and potatoes for mashing and ingredients for more of the Mineral Broth. I'm trying to pet myself these last few days, rest more, eat/drink more nutritiously, just get through it all! Hoping the after effects don't last too long, but according to so many on these boards, they might!! My neck VERY red, no cracks yet, but mucous choking/gagging me. Still swallowing meds that are tablets and my throat is so dry and sore that I'm afraid they'll stick in my throat and I won't know it! It feels like something is stuck in there all the time anyway....not a good feeling. May ask the Dr. if he can prescribe something for swelling. Anyone else get RX for swelling? So far tho, so good. Get thru this week and maybe the next month and hopefully we'll start healing!! Let's go guys!!!!!

Mrs. Sarge....
    Since the rads changed I think your skin will start healing early. I was amazed that I had oozing cracks and crust on mine....then the rad machine broke down and I got 5 days in a row off....THEN the "boost" (which is the change of radiation field you're starting on today came)...my neck is still peeling, but all the red, the cracks...the crust is gone and I'm still getting radiation...so when they shorten the field it really does affect things.
  • Sam999

Mrs. Sarge....
    Since the rads changed I think your skin will start healing early. I was amazed that I had oozing cracks and crust on mine....then the rad machine broke down and I got 5 days in a row off....THEN the "boost" (which is the change of radiation field you're starting on today came)...my neck is still peeling, but all the red, the cracks...the crust is gone and I'm still getting radiation...so when they shorten the field it really does affect things.

22 done, 8 more to go

Well things are going downhill a bit as expected, here is the status;

My throat is dry, dry.....as dry as it can be. Milk, buttermilk is helping dryness a bit. There is a nasal spray from walgreens which is working very well too. It has a longer sprout so helps to reach throat.

Tongue has become very sesitive so everytime i eat or drink, i have to use magic mouth wash. Surprisingly water burns my tongue but butter milk or any milk does not!

My skin is still doing okay, little bit red is showing up.

Throat is hurting more so taking oxycodine. Taking also nausea med.

Taking milk of magnesia for constipation.

Mainly surviving on bolt house protein plus smoothie and butter milk. I have no PEG so have to drink everything thru mouth.

No mucous yet, i see some i sometimes but not on regular basis.

I am sleeping thru night excpet few wake up minutes.

Energry level is good, not lost much weight, have a spare of 25 pounds to lose if needed. I think this additional weight will be handy in coming weeks :)

Sam
  • phrannie51
    Sam999 said:

22 done, 8 more to go

Well things are going downhill a bit as expected, here is the status;

My throat is dry, dry.....as dry as it can be. Milk, buttermilk is helping dryness a bit. There is a nasal spray from walgreens which is working very well too. It has a longer sprout so helps to reach throat.

Tongue has become very sesitive so everytime i eat or drink, i have to use magic mouth wash. Surprisingly water burns my tongue but butter milk or any milk does not!

My skin is still doing okay, little bit red is showing up.

Throat is hurting more so taking oxycodine. Taking also nausea med.

Taking milk of magnesia for constipation.

Mainly surviving on bolt house protein plus smoothie and butter milk. I have no PEG so have to drink everything thru mouth.

No mucous yet, i see some i sometimes but not on regular basis.

I am sleeping thru night excpet few wake up minutes.

Energry level is good, not lost much weight, have a spare of 25 pounds to lose if needed. I think this additional weight will be handy in coming weeks :)

Sam

7 more now :).....
    and by the time you read this, it may be 6!!! Don't you LOVE the single digits??? This week...then a 2 days day break...then two more and you're DONE :):):).

I'm glad you bumped this thread up Sam....it's a good one, and for those of us who are done with rads themselves, we are still cooking so we're good for updates on the finishing touch on our cooked necks, throats and mouths.

I finished Friday, so not much in the way of changes since Friday except the relief of not having to go them everyday. I'm still liquids only, my mouth is pretty tender, tho today I tried the Scandishakes...now they actually have a taste, and it tastes GOOD, and is NOT thick! By the time you put in 8 oz of milk, you have 600 calories in short order.

My neck is healing, but when I run my fingers over it, it's like petting a lizard. It doesn't hurt anymore, tho...keeping Aloe Vera on it many times a day. No mucous here, either....didn't we get lucky on that??!! My throat like yours is dry as a cob, so if something is too thick, I'm cough and hacking...always keeping a glass of milk handy when I drink Ensure or Instant Breakfast.

Energy is down for me, but doesn't have anything to do with rads, and all to do with my blood being low on everything.

I'm just so excited that you're almost done...I'm counting down with you!

p
  • Mrs. Sarge

7 more now :).....
    and by the time you read this, it may be 6!!! Don't you LOVE the single digits??? This week...then a 2 days day break...then two more and you're DONE :):):).

I'm glad you bumped this thread up Sam....it's a good one, and for those of us who are done with rads themselves, we are still cooking so we're good for updates on the finishing touch on our cooked necks, throats and mouths.

I finished Friday, so not much in the way of changes since Friday except the relief of not having to go them everyday. I'm still liquids only, my mouth is pretty tender, tho today I tried the Scandishakes...now they actually have a taste, and it tastes GOOD, and is NOT thick! By the time you put in 8 oz of milk, you have 600 calories in short order.

My neck is healing, but when I run my fingers over it, it's like petting a lizard. It doesn't hurt anymore, tho...keeping Aloe Vera on it many times a day. No mucous here, either....didn't we get lucky on that??!! My throat like yours is dry as a cob, so if something is too thick, I'm cough and hacking...always keeping a glass of milk handy when I drink Ensure or Instant Breakfast.

Energy is down for me, but doesn't have anything to do with rads, and all to do with my blood being low on everything.

I'm just so excited that you're almost done...I'm counting down with you!

p

Sam you're gonna make it!!!!!
    I think this also is a very informative thread for all the newbies going thru this journey. But everyone is different, so please don't think all the "bad stuff" is gonna happen to you! Just wanted to share my little experience since finishing rads Friday. I have felt my worse since this journey began. Choking, coughing, even threw up on all the muscous. Very tired. Sleeping off and on all day yesterday, then slept off/on all night. Got up this morning ready to get something done and did work in the house for about 2 hrs. and was ready for bed again!!! I'm ready to be normal again, but know it'll take time and just want to forewarn anyone that it takes time, (if you're like me) so I plan to just take it easy and rest. Just another spot on this radiation journey!!!