one year ago

Luckygirl2
Luckygirl2 Member Posts: 308
edited June 2012 in Colorectal Cancer #1
A year ago today was a Friday, 2 hours ago, I was told I had cancer and it was serious, real serious quoting my doctor. I was told Monday which will be Wednesday this year, I would be having surgery. What a year it has been, not that I have to tell any of you guys that but I need to tell myself. I had so many days I did not think I could get through one more day, days I just went inside myself in order to save my sanity and days I cried if for no other reason than I just felt like it, damn it! :) Can't count the number of days I had my husband's leg, arm locked while I was making my upteenth trip to the bathroom, I'd cry, he'd stroke my hair. Days I would have loved an ice cold Dr. Pepper, my drink of choice! Days after being unhooked from my cocktail of drugs, I'd make about 2 steps and then be all but carried by my husband to the car for the quick ride home so I could run to the bathroom.

Now my days are spent waiting for my third CT since December, hoping everyone is behaving themselves in there and playing nice with each other. I wish I could say I didn't think about cancer every morning when I wake up, at night when I go to bed and I'll be dang, when I get up to pee in the middle of the night :) One day I will, it's just not that day yet.

But even better, my days are spent enjoying my life, sitting outside in the fresh air, relishing my family around our dinner table sharing a meal I was able to prepare, laughing with my husband, holding hands, receiving that sweet kiss on the back of my neck while I'm cooking, enjoying my parents re-marrying after 50 years and so much more.

I am living with my cancer, that I can do I discovered, watching my family live with it, is harder. Having you all to listen to my struggles and fears and victories knowing you have already traveled this path is priceless. Thank you for helping me down this path.

Comments

• braelee2
    braelee2 Member Posts: 130
    wow
    Everything you said hits home. Cried when I read this.
  • dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    There is always a plus...
    Good for you... seeing the good positive things.. that is so important..
    I am just about a yuear and half from my Dx... so I can relate to the initial feeling you had. we probably all can..
    I would really love to know what a day feels likes not thinking about cancer.. but that will never be a reality again once you have this..
    But definitley realizing Good stuff you have and can still experience it the best way to go thru this.
    Live for the Good and Postive happenings.
    Cheers and Dr Pepper... !!
  • lauragb
    lauragb Member Posts: 370 Member
    What a beautiful image of
    What a beautiful image of family you generated. You are right, it is so hard to watch loved one's suffer through our trials. Your posting hit home as I reach my one year diagnosis anniversary next month.
    Thinking of you and sending you light.
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    wow!
    You are truly a very Lucky girl! May God Bless you and your family and keep up that great attitude. You are a true fighter.