Mammo results

ksf56
ksf56 Member Posts: 202
I had my first mammogram post treatment this past Wednesday and it was normal! I was so nervous but I figured it would be OK since the treatments whole goal is to kill this nasty stuff but it sure was wonderful to get the call that it was clear! I have been having generalized breast soreness in the affected breast for a couple of months - has any one else had this experience? There's nothing palpable. Can radiation cause this? I see my RO this week so I suppose she'll let me know but all of you are on my side of the treatment and know what this feels like. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Karen

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Hooray for you, Karen!
    That first post-treatment mammogram was probably the MOST anxiety I've ever felt in my entire life -- and I live in Southern California, I've been through major earthquakes! :-) SO good to get that one behind you, and get some medical confirmation that all your hard work getting through treatment kicked cancer's a**!

I had lumpectomies on both sides in 2009, and the tumors on one side were very deep. On that side, I had general soreness/achiness like you describe fairly regularly for the first couple of years -- my surgeon said that some women do have this pain for years. It gradually got less and less, and I rarely felt the need to take anything for it. I also discovered it was worse when I wore underwire bras. Even now, 2 1/2 years out of treatment, I still feel the achiness occasionally.

So yes, definitely ask your doctor about it, but don't worry too much about it, or let it take away from your celebration!

Traci
  • ksf56
    TraciInLA said:

Hooray for you, Karen!
    That first post-treatment mammogram was probably the MOST anxiety I've ever felt in my entire life -- and I live in Southern California, I've been through major earthquakes! :-) SO good to get that one behind you, and get some medical confirmation that all your hard work getting through treatment kicked cancer's a**!

I had lumpectomies on both sides in 2009, and the tumors on one side were very deep. On that side, I had general soreness/achiness like you describe fairly regularly for the first couple of years -- my surgeon said that some women do have this pain for years. It gradually got less and less, and I rarely felt the need to take anything for it. I also discovered it was worse when I wore underwire bras. Even now, 2 1/2 years out of treatment, I still feel the achiness occasionally.

So yes, definitely ask your doctor about it, but don't worry too much about it, or let it take away from your celebration!

Traci

Thanks
    Thanks Traci! It really makes me feel better to hear this happens to other people. This site is so great in comforting others! I know what you mean about underwires - I'm not wearing them any more.

Bless you!
    Karen
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    ksf56 said:

Thanks
    Thanks Traci! It really makes me feel better to hear this happens to other people. This site is so great in comforting others! I know what you mean about underwires - I'm not wearing them any more.

Bless you!
    Karen

Congrats Karen on your good
    Congrats Karen on your good news! Yes, it is common to feel like that for awhile after rads. My rads oncologist said you can effects for a few years even afterwords, but, be sure and tell him.

Hugs, Diane
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    I am so happy for you. Your
    I am so happy for you. Your note came at a time that I am faced with my first post op mammo. It's in July. I know how you feel. I am anxious but trying NOT to think about it until I HAVE TO.

As for the pain....my radiation nurse told me it's a good sign. The type of pain I described to her were like stabbing, sharp pains. She told me that it means the good cells are regrouping and growing back.

I do feel sore ... like I am bruised. From what I've learned, it can be from radiation. Radiation does nasty stuff.

Well, here's to you and your great mammo report. Rejoice and enjoy this wonderful news!

xoxo
    Mary
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    MsGebby said:

I am so happy for you. Your note came at a time that I am faced with my first post op mammo. It's in July. I know how you feel. I am anxious but trying NOT to think about it until I HAVE TO.

As for the pain....my radiation nurse told me it's a good sign. The type of pain I described to her were like stabbing, sharp pains. She told me that it means the good cells are regrouping and growing back.

I do feel sore ... like I am bruised. From what I've learned, it can be from radiation. Radiation does nasty stuff.

Well, here's to you and your great mammo report. Rejoice and enjoy this wonderful news!

xoxo
    Mary

Karen, this is the best!
    Karen, this is the best! Congratulations!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Hooray for you, Karen!

Traci

Congrats Karen on NED! My
    Congrats Karen on NED! My breast was sore, I think, from rads and still is somewhat. It is a lot less than it was right after rads. I think it is pretty normal, but, talk to your rads oncologist or oncologist about it.
  • ksf56
    MsGebby said:

xoxo
    Mary

Thanks so much!
    Mary, I really appreciate you sharing what your radiation nurse told you! I'm going to picture all those cells rearranging in there from now on. I know radiation is rough on us - it's eye opening when they said they can't re-radiate an area due to the damage already done. As long as it worked that's all that matters right now.

I hope very much that you too will have a great result in your mammo in July! Please let us know.

Hugs!
    Karen

I truly appreciate everyone's sharing my happiness with my great news!