Opinions needed. IV vs. Port

Lynne Logan
Lynne Logan Member Posts: 105 Member
Hi all you lovely Warriors,
I'll be embarking on treatment for my second bout of breast cancer within less than a year. I'm not looking forward to it at all and as of now am working on getting my arm raised high enough to have my PET scan. This gives me some time to do research here.
I had a port last year and hated it from day one. It seemed to rub on my collar bone or bother a nerve or something. It caused my shoulder area to ache even. Except for the over riding pain of my recent mastectomy and lymphadenectomy, I'd still be noticing it.
Then there was the removal! My surgeon, who is a vascular surgeon so knows these things, was rather caught off guard when I started "sucking air" and the ambulance had to called due to an embolism. I knew I was a goner and was very upset since I'd just had a clean PET scan 3 weeks prior to port removal. I wasn't able to finish my 6th round of chemo due to the seriousness of my side effects so it was very unfair to die from deportment!!!
So, this time I'm opting to receive chemo by IV, understandably. I want to make sure I'm making the right choice although I'm pretty convinced this is the best way for me. I've had 3 IVs during the last 10 months and except for the needle prick, that part seems very doable. I seem to have "good" veins and never played hide and seek with stickers.
Any other things I should be taking into consideration?
Thanks for always being here for me.
Lynne

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Hi Lynne,
    I posted some

Hi Lynne,

I posted some advice in your previous thread...

I did forget to say one thing. With the IV, be sure to let the nurse know if you feel anything...heat cold itching burning, etc. Often just slowing the drip is enough to get rid of the feeling.

I did have chemo escape one of my veins and now have some scarring in the muscle on that arm...another reason that I prefer the port now.

Since you have good veins, IV's shouldn't be a problem.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Lynne Logan

Hi Lynne,
    I posted some

Hi Lynne,

I posted some advice in your previous thread...

I did forget to say one thing. With the IV, be sure to let the nurse know if you feel anything...heat cold itching burning, etc. Often just slowing the drip is enough to get rid of the feeling.

I did have chemo escape one of my veins and now have some scarring in the muscle on that arm...another reason that I prefer the port now.

Since you have good veins, IV's shouldn't be a problem.

Hugs,

Linda

Thanks
    Hi Linda,
    You're one of my best helpers. This is encouraging even with the muscle problem you have. Although I seem to be inclined towards the "rare chance of" so this could happen to me. Does the scarring cause any major problem?
    Hugs back,
    Lynne
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413

Thanks
    Hi Linda,
    You're one of my best helpers. This is encouraging even with the muscle problem you have. Although I seem to be inclined towards the "rare chance of" so this could happen to me. Does the scarring cause any major problem?
    Hugs back,
    Lynne

Yes, it's pretty rare. And
    Yes, it's pretty rare. And it happened on my last treatment when the veins were weakest. The scarring causes no problems whatsoever. It's just a very small trough or valley just under the skin where the chemo traveled. It slightly changed the look of my arm, but has no impact at all on the functionality or strength of the arm and it causes no pain.

Thank you for letting me know that posting helps. I get so much emotionally and practically from these boards, it's nice to know that I contribute to that for others. I hope your current treatments eradicate the beast forever. Stay strong.

Hugs,

Linda
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

Yes, it's pretty rare. And
    Yes, it's pretty rare. And it happened on my last treatment when the veins were weakest. The scarring causes no problems whatsoever. It's just a very small trough or valley just under the skin where the chemo traveled. It slightly changed the look of my arm, but has no impact at all on the functionality or strength of the arm and it causes no pain.

Thank you for letting me know that posting helps. I get so much emotionally and practically from these boards, it's nice to know that I contribute to that for others. I hope your current treatments eradicate the beast forever. Stay strong.

Hugs,

Linda

Lynne...
    I, too, posted on your other thread regarding a port...
    Hope you're feeling some better...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    MAJW said:

Lynne...
    Hugs, Nancy

me too!

me too!
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    My choice
    Hi Lynn,

I have never had a port and never will. I didn't want something foreign in my body or more procedures! I've had cancer twice, chemo both times always by an IV and I have bad veins. They only have one arm to work with but they always seem to find one. I've had blood transfusions, CT scans with IV among all my hospital visits. I know now why I never wanted it. My body doesn't like foreign things. I had mesh put in my chest wall and had to have 5 surgeries and they finally removed it due to infections. God bless and I hope all goes well for you.

Terry
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    mom62 said:

My choice
    Hi Lynn,

I have never had a port and never will. I didn't want something foreign in my body or more procedures! I've had cancer twice, chemo both times always by an IV and I have bad veins. They only have one arm to work with but they always seem to find one. I've had blood transfusions, CT scans with IV among all my hospital visits. I know now why I never wanted it. My body doesn't like foreign things. I had mesh put in my chest wall and had to have 5 surgeries and they finally removed it due to infections. God bless and I hope all goes well for you.

Terry

bumping up ...
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    MAJW said:

Lynne...
    Hugs, Nancy

bumping up.

bumping up.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    VickiSam said:

bumping up ...

Just wanted to say I had 4
    Just wanted to say I had 4 rounds of C/T and did an IV. I have good veins and never had any issues at all with going the IV route. Wishing you the very best in your treatment. God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493

Just wanted to say I had 4
    Just wanted to say I had 4 rounds of C/T and did an IV. I have good veins and never had any issues at all with going the IV route. Wishing you the very best in your treatment. God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice

LynneI've had 19 chemos
    Lynne
    I've had 15 chemos via IV and all were fine. Fingers crossed that the last one next week goes the same! Before I started, my MO had an oncology nurse take a look at my veins. They are such pros you might want to get an opinion from one of them, but, like you, I like not having any more foreign stuff in me than necessary.
    Good luck with your next round!
    Angie
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    IV
    Lynne,
    I had 12 chemos without a port or pic line. I did fine. The only problem was that the nurses didn't like having to start an IV. I had chemo prior to surgery so I had both arms to choose from and I have ropes! Stay hydrated and that will help.

Cindy
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Chemo thru an iv wrecks your
    Chemo thru an iv wrecks your veins. My Mom didn't have a port and now has to have blood drawn from her ankle. I loved my port and even had the surgeon give it to me when he took it out. It is my good luck piece now.
  • Lynne Logan

Chemo thru an iv wrecks your
    Chemo thru an iv wrecks your veins. My Mom didn't have a port and now has to have blood drawn from her ankle. I loved my port and even had the surgeon give it to me when he took it out. It is my good luck piece now.

Going with Port
    After realizing I'd lost the option of going the IV route when I had lymph nodes removed on both side I'll be seeing my surgeon today and I'll undoubtedly get the date for installation. I'm so dreading going through all this so soon.
    It was strange when I got my PET scan that the dye was injected into my elbow joint even after I told her about the nodes. She just said she'd be quick.........ok, no harmful effects it seems. Today I must have blood work done so we'll see how the lab handles it.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Going with Port
    After realizing I'd lost the option of going the IV route when I had lymph nodes removed on both side I'll be seeing my surgeon today and I'll undoubtedly get the date for installation. I'm so dreading going through all this so soon.
    It was strange when I got my PET scan that the dye was injected into my elbow joint even after I told her about the nodes. She just said she'd be quick.........ok, no harmful effects it seems. Today I must have blood work done so we'll see how the lab handles it.

Good luck today Lynne! Let
    Good luck today Lynne! Let us know when you have the port installed so we can all get the pink bus out to support you.

Sue :)
  • Nana C.
    Nana C. Member Posts: 108
    Ritzy said:

Good luck today Lynne! Let
    Good luck today Lynne! Let us know when you have the port installed so we can all get the pink bus out to support you.

Sue :)

Love my port!
    Would not even think of doing it without my port. Even had my lung colapse and had to spend a few days in the hospital. I have rolling veins and no one ever gets an IV in on the first try, sometimes not even on the second. Never used to hate needles, not I can't stand them, so tired of being a pin cushion! If I ever had to have chemo, I will have it put back it! Having it taken out was easy. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Nana
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Nana C. said:

Love my port!
    Would not even think of doing it without my port. Even had my lung colapse and had to spend a few days in the hospital. I have rolling veins and no one ever gets an IV in on the first try, sometimes not even on the second. Never used to hate needles, not I can't stand them, so tired of being a pin cushion! If I ever had to have chemo, I will have it put back it! Having it taken out was easy. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Nana

Hoping that when you get
    Hoping that when you get your port in this time Lynne, that you have zero problems. Best of luck!

Hugs, Diane