Reel Recovery

Doc_Hawk
Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
I got back last night from a two day fishing retreat sponsored by reelrecovery.org and just wanted to share what a great experience it was. This is a retreat for only men with cancer (or recovering) and it gives you a chance to talk with people who are going through the same things that you are. Sure, you can talk to your oncology staff and they'll understand on an intellectual level, but unless they've gone through this they can't get the same gut reaction. I plan on talking to my doc when I see him next week and try to get him to send patients as well as money to support it. The entire retreat is paid for and won't cost you a cent unless you want to buy shirts, hats and other merchandise, or just make a donation. I have no idea what a weekend like that would cost if you were to plan on on your own, but I'm sure it would be well over $500. The best part of the whole thing was the bonding with other cancer patients. Check out their website and see if there is a retreat in your area. Trust me, guys, you've earned this and owe it to yourselves!

Doc

Comments

• wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    Hi Doc
    Just wanted to say "Welcome Back". Glad you had a great time. Did you catch the "big one" or did it get away? LOL!

Luv,

Wolfen
  • Doc_Hawk
    wolfen said:

Hi Doc
    Just wanted to say "Welcome Back". Glad you had a great time. Did you catch the "big one" or did it get away? LOL!

Luv,

Wolfen

Tied one on
    Thanks, Wolfen.

I did land one fish, my first since 1978. Since it was catch and release, it counted as a "catch" if you could see the fish at the end of line. So, going by that I "caught" six and they were all pretty big.
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Hi Doc
    So very glad you had a good time. I have heard about this group before.

It is just too bad it is a "male only" opportunity. There are some of us of the gentle persuasion who would enjoy it. LOL Even some who can bait their own hook!

All teasing aside, it is wonderful that you had the opportunity to go.

The fur kid went with you as I recall. Did she catch any fish?

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • relaxoutdoors08
    relaxoutdoors08 Member Posts: 521 Member
    Glad you had this wonderful opportunity
    Glad for you and glad they have this for men with cancer. Wish they had the same for women. I would love an outdoor adventure with other women as well.
    NB
  • dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    Awesome
    Sounds like you had a great experience... I am so glad you found it rewarding...
    Welcome back to the board... we missed you..
    Hope you are feeling rested.. I know you did some riding too this weekend.. was it all good.. you deserved a good weekend...

I am gong to check out the site and mention it to the cancer center here if they are on the east coast..
    I don't know of anything like this for women.. maybe someone could do a spa retreat for us..
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Wonderful
    So glad that you had a good time and you were able to get to talk to others going through this. What a wonderful organization to help like this. Glad you're back and well rested.

Kim
  • mikew42
    mikew42 Member Posts: 114 Member
    Thanks Doc
    Glad you had a great time. I heard about this last month and had been debating about going to the one here in Oregon. I'm going to sign up tonight!

Thanks,
    Mike
  • omrhill
    omrhill Member Posts: 125
    I want to go! What a great
    I want to go! What a great idea. I'm sure it's a healing experience to be surrounded by men in a similar situation, with similar experiences. I wish they had something like this for women. The spa weekend sounds like a good start. As an aside - this actually made me chuckle. My ex husband was an avid (TOO avid) fisherman, and I always said he should find some way to use his passion for fishing for a good purpose, rather than avoiding yard work and home issues. When i read your post earlier, I called him to tell him I'd finally found the solution for our fishing issue. And we've been divorced for 8 years!
  • Doc_Hawk
    omrhill said:

I want to go! What a great
    I want to go! What a great idea. I'm sure it's a healing experience to be surrounded by men in a similar situation, with similar experiences. I wish they had something like this for women. The spa weekend sounds like a good start. As an aside - this actually made me chuckle. My ex husband was an avid (TOO avid) fisherman, and I always said he should find some way to use his passion for fishing for a good purpose, rather than avoiding yard work and home issues. When i read your post earlier, I called him to tell him I'd finally found the solution for our fishing issue. And we've been divorced for 8 years!

For women
    Thank you for the welcome back, I missed all y'all as well. I over heard one of the facilitators make a comment that there was a retreat like that available for women. When I get some information on it, I will most definitely post it here. This is available all over the country. When I first heard about it last winter, I was going to try to attend the retreat in Pennsylvania next week. I'd planned on going back there to visit my lady friend, but the price of gas and my bouncing CEA count (as well as the RV needing new tires) pretty much put an end to that idea. These are so popular that they've added a new one here for next month. I asked one of the guys in charge to put my name on the list if it's not already full.
  • barbebarb
    barbebarb Member Posts: 464
    Doc_Hawk said:

For women
    Thank you for the welcome back, I missed all y'all as well. I over heard one of the facilitators make a comment that there was a retreat like that available for women. When I get some information on it, I will most definitely post it here. This is available all over the country. When I first heard about it last winter, I was going to try to attend the retreat in Pennsylvania next week. I'd planned on going back there to visit my lady friend, but the price of gas and my bouncing CEA count (as well as the RV needing new tires) pretty much put an end to that idea. These are so popular that they've added a new one here for next month. I asked one of the guys in charge to put my name on the list if it's not already full.

Great trip
    What a great and therapeudic event-great outdoors and memories too.

I like everyones comments and ideas-spa night sounds gods for us ladies or how about a relaxing campfire....

So nice you could attend.