Numbing the Throat

2»

Comments

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Skiffin16 said:

Larry's Solution
    Tim The MM is not really a substitute for the baking soda rinses. It's main purpose is to numb the throat for a few minutes...usually somewhere 10 - 20 minutes.

Tom/Pat I never had a problem with it not working either...seems to have always had the same effect...which was good.

Best,
    John

I used it for about four months
    at first it made me so freaking numb it was scarey. Couldn't swallow at all. Toward the end, I got only mildly numb, lasting about half as long. I would say the effect decreased for me by 75%.

Guess we're all different, huh? :)
  • meaganb
    meaganb Member Posts: 244 Member

I used it for about four months
    at first it made me so freaking numb it was scarey. Couldn't swallow at all. Toward the end, I got only mildly numb, lasting about half as long. I would say the effect decreased for me by 75%.

Guess we're all different, huh? :)

I have only been using for
    I have only been using for about 4 weeks and I can definitely tell that it doesn't last as long as it did at first. Unless the first time it was made they put a little extra lidocaine in it;) I swish, take my meds ( Lortab, Robitussin, and Phenergan) then down a 16oz Bolthouse smoothie as fast as possible. I've been taking them out of the fridge so they aren't ice cold andvthat helps. By the time I'm done with the smoothie I can tell the MM is starting to wear off so I usually have enough time to do a glutamine rinse or just drink some water. It certainly is funny how we all have our own routines and rituals. I'm praying I can get off this stuff sooner rather than later though.:)
  • tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 728 Member
    CivilMatt said:

numb me up
    Tom,

I do not consider myself addicted to mm, but I burned through a lot of it. I never noticed diminished returns on the dosage. As for cost, mm was the one thing my insurance would not cover and I think it ran around $60/bottle (14 oz).

Good Luck,

Matt

CVS
    Matt,

That is a pretty high price. My insurance didn't cover it either. CVS said it was because it contained so many ingredients it didn't find a fit on their list. So the pharmacy put me in their special "no insurance" program and two and half bottles cost me around $8 bucks. Next time go to CVS. My insurance also won't cover Ambien for some reason. Same program, $8.37. Would have paid the $10 co-pay if they did cover it so it was cheaper to not have insurance. What about Walmart? They too have a very good "no insurance" program. All you have to do is ask.

And I guess I read Pat's comment about the MM not working as well if you take it a lot. We are all different, that's for sure.

Tom
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    meaganb said:

I have only been using for
    I have only been using for about 4 weeks and I can definitely tell that it doesn't last as long as it did at first. Unless the first time it was made they put a little extra lidocaine in it;) I swish, take my meds ( Lortab, Robitussin, and Phenergan) then down a 16oz Bolthouse smoothie as fast as possible. I've been taking them out of the fridge so they aren't ice cold andvthat helps. By the time I'm done with the smoothie I can tell the MM is starting to wear off so I usually have enough time to do a glutamine rinse or just drink some water. It certainly is funny how we all have our own routines and rituals. I'm praying I can get off this stuff sooner rather than later though.:)

I'm paying close attention to all the rituals....
    I talked to the rad-onc today about MM, but neither person who could write a prescription was there....they'll be there tomorrow, tho. I can hardly wait till that soft palate on top quits all the burning. Air, food, Stoppers, water...they all burn...even my best friend milk, is causing it to burn.

p
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member
    CivilMatt said:

numb me up
    Tom,

I do not consider myself addicted to mm, but I burned through a lot of it. I never noticed diminished returns on the dosage. As for cost, mm was the one thing my insurance would not cover and I think it ran around $60/bottle (14 oz).

Good Luck,

Matt

oops
    Tom,
    My wife corrected me on the price, it should have read $30/bottle (14oz). Still not as good of price as I am reading about.

Matt
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Numb, Numb, Numb....
    Everytime I say numb, numb, numb......

My wife tells me to go away....., but then, I can drool again.

JG
  • Crazymom
    Crazymom Member Posts: 339 Member

Megan....we have Walgreens here, so maybe I can pick it up
    there...it's right on my way to chemo and radiation, and would be much handier. I've never used them before, so don't know about the service....did it take a long time to fill the order?

p

Walgreens
    Walgreens did the compounding for my Magic Mouthwash. They did a good job. I am sure they can do yours. Ann