Excessive mucus

I have mucus dripping out of what looks like my uvula constantly from the time I wake in the morning 24/7 that has the most awful foul/sweet taste. This is whether I eat anything or not. I have been to several ENT and gastro doctors both locally and get the same answer when they say they cannot find anything - late after-radiation effects. I belong to the OCF and have posted my symptoms on the Forum, and not one person has these symptoms. I had tonsil squamous-cell cancer (tonsils removed 11/07) followed by 7 weeks of radiation with 1/day week radiation ending in 2/08. I had all the normal after effects or treatments to include the taste problems and mucus problems. They all subsided about 2 years afterwards. I had a feeding tube for about 1-1/2 years, but always was able to swallow liquid supplements. I was doing better and eating again until about a 1 year ago when this foul taste started and noticed the constant dripping from my uvula started. It looks like a water faucet running and it goes down into my throat, sort of thick and sticks in my throat causing me to have trouble swallowing. I recently noticed my back top teeth have a funny feeling and have an appointment with an oral surgeon next week; one dentest saw pictures of the flowing crap my daughter showed her and she said it wasn't normal and said it looked like a sinus problem and perhaps a hole in my sinuses. I have had an MRI of my sinuses, but maybe that wouldn't show a tear or hole? Anyway, has anyone ever had a foul/putrid sweet taste and flowing mucus from what looks like the uvula before, or even the constant foul taste? If the ENTs and gastro doctors cannot "see" something, they all can see my results of tests I have done, plus my history of past cancer, and revert back to blaming it on radiation. I had a clean PET scan in February (Thank you Jesus). Thanks you for any information or suggestions you might have. I'm new to this group, so not sure how to see any replies, so if you have a reply, would you please email me at: rockyy@comcast.net

Comments

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    for clarification
    have you had nasal endoscopy? and does this discharge have a color to it? This must be frustrating as heck. But it isnt magic. Years after rads, all those tissues should be as pale and thin as a ghost. So rads is not an explanation at all. It is infectuous until proven otherwise.

Pat
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member

for clarification
    have you had nasal endoscopy? and does this discharge have a color to it? This must be frustrating as heck. But it isnt magic. Years after rads, all those tissues should be as pale and thin as a ghost. So rads is not an explanation at all. It is infectuous until proven otherwise.

Pat

Hi Julianne ..
    Sorry I am no help but juts wanted to respond. Whispered a prayer the docs wil get to the bottom of it and you can get some relief.

Best,

Tim
  • nedsky39
    nedsky39 Member Posts: 6
    still lots of mucus
    It really sounds like sinus problem...almost like a post nasal drip. Could you have developed allergies? Tried any OTC Rx's....Allegra works for me when I get that. If it is infectious I'd think they could culture it? Can you use Neti pot to flush sinus track?....it may help with awful taste.....good luck...