I finally told my 81 year old mother I have cancer after 7 weeks!

Momof2plusteentwins
Momof2plusteentwins Member Posts: 509 Member
Why is it always the hardest to tell your own mother??? I live in Georgia and she lives in Florida near my to older sisters. I told my sisters right away but couldn't tell mom, it was so hard. I am the baby of her 4 kids. There is no family history of cancer in our family, I have never smoked, just have always ate wrong. This is just hard!
Sandy

Comments

• dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    Hard to say the words
    Sandy,
    I don't have a true frame of reference as my parents are both gone, but I had a hard time telling my brothers.. With them it was the fear I would be placing in them... I am the baby too... Fear of me dying and the fear of their own mortality..
    I found it so much easier to tell the people I worked with it.. I even had issues telling friends that I finally just posted to FB to see who responded to my post.
    See I live alone in a town where I have few if any really friends to rely on,
    Everyone tells me I am remarkable and so strong.. but I just know if I give in to the the bad feelings and depression.. I may not recover... so strong I will have to be and now I tell everyone about my cancer.. seems easier than not saying it.
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Hugs
    Remember telling my dad who was 70 at the time, was hard. He had lost my mum two years previous to cancer, and here's me telling him I had cancer. Glad your mom has your sisters near by. Proud that you told her, you need to now focus on you.
  • Momof2plusteentwins
    Momof2plusteentwins Member Posts: 509 Member
    Sonia32 said:

Hugs
    Remember telling my dad who was 70 at the time, was hard. He had lost my mum two years previous to cancer, and here's me telling him I had cancer. Glad your mom has your sisters near by. Proud that you told her, you need to now focus on you.

Thanks Sonia
    Thanks Sonia and now everyone knows no one else to worry about but me.
    Sandy
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    That must have been tough.
    That must have been tough. Glad you got it out of the way and now it's one less thing to worry about.
    There will be many friends who will want to support you---let them. It gives them a chance to show their concern, and it helps you too.
    Take care~