new surgery date

EveningStar2
EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
So dear reader, the last time we left you I had cancelled my bilateral mastectomy because I had no insurance and the hospital wanted me to show up with $28K. I did some research and I went to the Caritas clinic here in town that receives most of the Komen money available and qualified to receive my care with $5 for clinic visits and zero for the surgery/hospital. Since I am uninsured and unemployed and will stay that way until this is taken care of, this is a good thing. The surgeon wants to do an MRI to make sure that the "good" breast is not affected but all that will change is weather or not a sentinel node is take on that side. New date is July 9.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my husband is having gastric bypass on June 25. He postponed it once to let me go first so I got a little insistent about him going forth as planned. I have DCIS so I should be safe to wait.

Maureen

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    YEAH!!!!
    So happy to see this post, I have been wondering is this ever got resolved! I will be keeping you and your husband in prayer.

Hugs,

RE
  • rallendorfer
    rallendorfer Member Posts: 244
    Wonderful news!
    Big difference in the price! I am glad you have found a doctor and hospital, and that the funding from Komen made the difference. Such love goes into that organization. It sounds like the miracle we have been praying for. We will keep your husband in prayer too.

Rebecca
  • EveningStar2

Wonderful news!
    Big difference in the price! I am glad you have found a doctor and hospital, and that the funding from Komen made the difference. Such love goes into that organization. It sounds like the miracle we have been praying for. We will keep your husband in prayer too.

Rebecca

thank you
    to both of you. We'll take all the help we can get. I found out that the MRI cannot accommodate me (weight limit) but we'll do an ultrasound.

Maureen
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member

thank you
    to both of you. We'll take all the help we can get. I found out that the MRI cannot accommodate me (weight limit) but we'll do an ultrasound.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Until this whole breast cancer journey I was not aware that there are actually 3 types of MRI machines. The regular MRI - aka the donut hole machine. The "open" MRI for larger or claustrophobic people and the "breast" MRI machine where you are face down on the gurney with the girls hanging through the openings. Since it is a less common procedure not every imaging facility has this particular machine. If you are not doing the specialized "breast MRI" perhaps you could do an open MRI? It can accommodate people of many sizes. Just a thought. . . .

IRENE
  • EveningStar2

Hi Maureen,

Until this whole breast cancer journey I was not aware that there are actually 3 types of MRI machines. The regular MRI - aka the donut hole machine. The "open" MRI for larger or claustrophobic people and the "breast" MRI machine where you are face down on the gurney with the girls hanging through the openings. Since it is a less common procedure not every imaging facility has this particular machine. If you are not doing the specialized "breast MRI" perhaps you could do an open MRI? It can accommodate people of many sizes. Just a thought. . . .

IRENE

We learn
    all kinds of things, don't we? I had to travel to get by biopsy because (and this is weird) Denver does not have a seated sterotactic biopsy available but Colorado Springs and Ft Collins do. They are 70-90 miles away and the the original radiologist said "we will just do an excisional biopsy" and I replied "oh no, we won't". I'm a pain in the **** but I knew there were alternatives even if _that_ center didn't have them. If I really needed an MRI, I'd get pushy but for this, ultrasound will do.

Maureen
  • StaceyPMD1121
    StaceyPMD1121 Member Posts: 65
    Thank You God for EveningStar2's Miracle

Hi EveningStar2,

I am new to the site had lumpectomy May 4th and start chemo June 8th. I am glad to hear that you got the help that you needed. Thank God for the Komen foundation. My prayers are with you and your husband for your surgeries. I have a son, Derrick who is around 400 lbs and read the book, Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, he has been seen on the Dr. OZ show. He believes changing the way we eat to detox from the unhealthy food for 6 weeks consuming mainly fresh fruits and vegatables. After the 6 weeks reintroduce only small portions of meat into your diet. The book contains before and after pictures of his patients, he is a heart surgeon. The people have come off of medication for all kinds of diseases: High blood pressure, heart disease, asthma,arthritis,diabetes, you name it. 400-600 lb. people now weigh 120-under 200 lbs. Moderate exercise. Dr. Joel Fuhrman also has a website drfuhrman.com and www.diseaseproof.com. This book might help you both and of course consult your own doctors about this advice. This book is helping my son to lose weight. I myself will ask at my breast center to see a dietican or nutritionist to help me to eliminate sugar from my diet,which helps cancer cells to grow. God Bless you both & You Both will be fine in Jesus name.Amen.

Peace, Blessings, & Hugs,
    Stacey
  • salls41
    salls41 Member Posts: 340
    Good News
    So happy to hear such good news! Love it when prayers are answered!