Numbing the Throat

tommyodavey
tommyodavey Member Posts: 728 Member
We all use the Magic Mouthwash and it's my understanding they all differ to some degree. Mine had Lidocaine and about seven other ingredients mixed in. One was an anti-fungal I suppose was there for weird growths.

There is only one I use that has a better numbing effect than the mouthwash. It is Lidocaine Viscous 2%. My doctor prescribed it after my tongue surgery but I couldn't use it because it has a consistency of honey that would make me cough uncontrollably.

Now I use it only for my throat before or after I eat. It is the only one that totally numbs my throat. If you don't have any saliva, use a little water to lighten it up. Use it just like the MM. I gargle with it mostly and swallow it very slowly. Works great!

I've just never seen anyone else talking about this medication. Pat, you would know more about why physicians don't prescribe the pure Lidocaine along with the mouthwash. It may be that my doctor is a H&N Surgeon and that is all he does so he knows what works best for pain. Just a guess of course.

Anyone else get this med?

Tom

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member
    me too
    Hi tommyodavey,

Besides my love for Magic Mouth Wash, I also had a prescription for Lidocaine HCL OS 2%, for mouth sores. The second my rad onc saw a mouth sore she was writing a prescription. Every time I had a change, the nurses or doctors seemed to have something for it. I think the stuff is so good a person should be able to get it for canker sores.

Best of luck,

Matt
  • KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103 Member
    This is what I was given
    I couldn't swallow it, but it sure did numb my lips and mouth to try to get things down. I also used it before rads to get the mounth piece on. I have some that I save for dentist appointments now.
  • meaganb
    meaganb Member Posts: 244 Member
    I was prescribed the pure
    I was prescribed the pure lidocaine viscous by one of the on call Onc when he thought I had trush. It definitely works better/longer at numbingbthan my MM. The MM my Dr prescribes only has 3 ingredients, Lidocaine/ Benadryl/Maalox. I just finished up the viscous Lidocaine. I used it sparingly when my mouth was really sore, didn't get any refills, but suppose I could if I needed it. But the MM seems to do the trick well enough for me to swallow a smoothie:)
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    meaganb said:

I was prescribed the pure lidocaine viscous by one of the on call Onc when he thought I had trush. It definitely works better/longer at numbingbthan my MM. The MM my Dr prescribes only has 3 ingredients, Lidocaine/ Benadryl/Maalox. I just finished up the viscous Lidocaine. I used it sparingly when my mouth was really sore, didn't get any refills, but suppose I could if I needed it. But the MM seems to do the trick well enough for me to swallow a smoothie:)

I'm asking my Onc for it tomorrow....
    tho we only have two compounding pharmacies in this town, and I believe the ingredients for MM are varied from place to place. I gotta have something for my soft palate...everyday even drinking stuff gets harder and harder to do.

p
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    good topic
    all of these magic mouthwash formulations start with 2 percent lidocain as a base. But that is then diluted down to well below 2 percent when other liquids are added. You can do the math by reading the labels on the bottle. Most Rx come in at well under one percent. Thats why plain 2 percent works so much better. No special reason why you shouldnt get a rx for both right off the bat. One warning, the caine anesthetics have an unfortunate property called tachyphyllaxis. Many of you have seem this effect. With frequent, daily use, the caine drugs dont work nearly as well. Your nerve cell biochemistry ,makes an adjustment and the effect diminishes. there is another class of local aneathetics that doesnt have this property, termed "esters". I dont know if this class has a liquid form.

Pat
  • meaganb

I'm asking my Onc for it tomorrow....
    tho we only have two compounding pharmacies in this town, and I believe the ingredients for MM are varied from place to place. I gotta have something for my soft palate...everyday even drinking stuff gets harder and harder to do.

p

Phrannie, I'm able to get MM
    Phrannie, I'm able to get MM filled at Walgreens which is a commercial chain drugstore, not sure if they are nationwide. But if you don't normally use the compounding pharmacies there is no reason you should have to. Although, we are thinking about switching to a smaller local pharmacy because the service is so much better:)
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    meaganb said:

Phrannie, I'm able to get MM
    Phrannie, I'm able to get MM filled at Walgreens which is a commercial chain drugstore, not sure if they are nationwide. But if you don't normally use the compounding pharmacies there is no reason you should have to. Although, we are thinking about switching to a smaller local pharmacy because the service is so much better:)

Megan....we have Walgreens here, so maybe I can pick it up
    there...it's right on my way to chemo and radiation, and would be much handier. I've never used them before, so don't know about the service....did it take a long time to fill the order?

p
  • CivilMatt
    what to do
    tommyodavey,

I never used more than 5 to 10 mls. of mm at a time, never seemed to need more and only swallowed tiny little sips at a time. Today the stuff tastes bad, but during my hey day it was (thankfully) neutral. I haven’t used it in a while; the last time was to sooth a sore throat brought on by sleeping with my mouth open (1 ½ weeks ago). For me, I had to (blindly) trust my doctor in its use, by the time I needed it, I was too far gone to conduct research. So I commend you for looking into various treatment options, before they are required and I do underline required as the time comes to fish or cut bait and the last thing I needed was indecision.

The choice(s) are many,

Matt
  • longtermsurvivor

there...it's right on my way to chemo and radiation, and would be much handier. I've never used them before, so don't know about the service....did it take a long time to fill the order?

p

variable
    service depends on the branch. Some have been very good for me, others terrible. I do my rx at Walgreens because the are computer networked, and I can transfer my rx from city to city easily. Compounding mm is not complicated.
  • longtermsurvivor

p

variable
    oops
  • Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    meaganb said:

all kinds of magic mouthwash recipes !
    my MM was lidocaine/benadryl/pepto bismal....and boy was it PINK. but it worked. I would imagine that any pharmacy could mix it up...it's a pretty simple recipe based on your doctor's choice/script.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Larry's Solution #2 ~ Magic Mouthwash...
    The one I was prescribed was called Larry's Solution #2, but it was the thick sort of translucent white, looked about like thinned silicone, LOL.

It did work though.., I'd take a teaspoon, a big glass of water, two Ensure Plus, more water, a few sliced peaches, more water and a ground Percocet, or similar for the post pain.

That was my 3x daily ritual for calorie intake for about seven weeks mid/post rads.

Here's a good link on differing mixtures of the Magic Mouthwash;

Magic Mouthwash

JG
  • Tonsil Dad
    Tonsil Dad Member Posts: 488
    Skiffin16 said:

Larry's Solution #2 ~ Magic Mouthwash...
    The one I was prescribed was called Larry's Solution #2, but it was the thick sort of translucent white, looked about like thinned silicone, LOL.

It did work though.., I'd take a teaspoon, a big glass of water, two Ensure Plus, more water, a few sliced peaches, more water and a ground Percocet, or similar for the post pain.

That was my 3x daily ritual for calorie intake for about seven weeks mid/post rads.

Here's a good link on differing mixtures of the Magic Mouthwash;

Magic Mouthwash

JG

Mine.
    As I mentioned in another post, MM never worked for me I tried two different
    batches both with 2% lidocaine and thet did nothing for me. I had to use and
    still do once a day before my main evening meal, Lortab.

God bless
    Tonsil dad,

Dan.
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member

Mine.
    As I mentioned in another post, MM never worked for me I tried two different
    batches both with 2% lidocaine and thet did nothing for me. I had to use and
    still do once a day before my main evening meal, Lortab.

God bless
    Tonsil dad,

Dan.

Phrannie
    I was told Walgreen's wanted a 24-hour heads up to getting a MM prescription filled, and the one time I waited for it- something wasn't right with it. Different ingredients go into it, and I'm under the impression that they have to put the mixture together there at the Pharmacy, which is why they want the lead time.

kcass
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Kent Cass said:

Phrannie
    I was told Walgreen's wanted a 24-hour heads up to getting a MM prescription filled, and the one time I waited for it- something wasn't right with it. Different ingredients go into it, and I'm under the impression that they have to put the mixture together there at the Pharmacy, which is why they want the lead time.

kcass

Hmmm...
    Kind of feeling left out ....??

My onc only prescribed "diflucan" (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) ...I have had 2 bouts with thrush.

The more I read this forum the more I realized how much I missed out ...like I said, I was in an RV for my treatments living in the clinic parking lot ..wife was 100 miles away (the first half of my treatment) and I did not get internet until 2 weeks into my treatments....so I'm really irritated at myself for not getting engaged here until after almost 1 month from my last radiation treatment...

..I see guys like Matt29 and how prepared he is going into this and think "man, I could have been like that if I had gotten on here sooner" ...

..but things just went soooo fast and I was soooo scattered trying to figure out how to help the wife and kids so far away and take care of myself...

So it appears the magic mouthwash is a prescritpion...I'm going to ask for that. I'm tired of salt and baking soda. My pain in my throat is practically gone...and I can now eat most anything I want ...but when I do have some soares or pain I can use the mm.

I also never heard of stoppers4 ...so I am ordering that.

Thanks everybody for all you share ...I'm getting caught up for sure!!!

Tim

Oh..and when I say left out ...not bc of you guys ...bc of my own lack of getting engaged on this site sooner :):):)
  • tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 728 Member
    Kent Cass said:

Phrannie

kcass

MM
    My CVS mixed mine with no problem. And it was inexpensive too so that always helped.

Well, it seems most of us have used the Lidocaine after all. The main reason for posting it was for those who don't have it. This place has a wealth of information and now it has one more.

Phrannie, let us know if it works better for you. It is hard to swallow if you're all swollen up. And yes, we have discussed the problem of the MM not working as well if you use it too much.

Tom
  • CivilMatt

MM
    My CVS mixed mine with no problem. And it was inexpensive too so that always helped.

Well, it seems most of us have used the Lidocaine after all. The main reason for posting it was for those who don't have it. This place has a wealth of information and now it has one more.

Phrannie, let us know if it works better for you. It is hard to swallow if you're all swollen up. And yes, we have discussed the problem of the MM not working as well if you use it too much.

Tom

numb me up
    Tom,

I do not consider myself addicted to mm, but I burned through a lot of it. I never noticed diminished returns on the dosage. As for cost, mm was the one thing my insurance would not cover and I think it ran around $60/bottle (14 oz).

Good Luck,

Matt
  • meaganb

variable
    oops

Yep!
    Same here! Service depends on the store and their management. I think it probably takes them longer to enter the script into their computer than it does to actually make it. They basically just pour the different ingredients into one bottle:) maybe have your Dr call in the script so you can pick it up quicker and not have to wait?

BTW, Phrannie you must be one tough cookie if you haven't needed MM yet and you're this far in. I was asking for something by week the end of week 2!
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Larry's Solution
    Tim The MM is not really a substitute for the baking soda rinses. It's main purpose is to numb the throat for a few minutes...usually somewhere 10 - 20 minutes.

Tom/Pat I never had a problem with it not working either...seems to have always had the same effect...which was good.

Best,
    John
  • Sam999
    Sam999 Member Posts: 319 Member
    Skiffin16 said:

Larry's Solution
    Tim The MM is not really a substitute for the baking soda rinses. It's main purpose is to numb the throat for a few minutes...usually somewhere 10 - 20 minutes.

Tom/Pat I never had a problem with it not working either...seems to have always had the same effect...which was good.

Best,
    John

My throat has started to
    My throat has started to hurt so my doc gave me prescription for MM. We have walgreen on the way so will get it from there. I was able to eat mashed up banana so far but it burned my throat today. Not sure why banana would do that. I am able to drink smoothies and water okay.