Holidaying in Mallorca on Chemo and picc lines

Vickie1
Vickie1 Member Posts: 1
Hi everyone.

I have just had surgery for cancer of the colon - dr's say they don't believe it's spread, but are giving chemo for 24wks anyway - although the drugs they're due to give me are for 'advanced colorectal cancer'!..I'm assuming they think my body can take the onslaught as I'm (only!)41! - so are going for the full-on attack!

Before being diagnosied I booked a family holiday in Mallorca (Pollensa area) for husband, mum and my four children - kids alls under 8yrs, so would be devastated and wouldn't understand having to cancel, so not an option.

I will be on chemo during this holiday and my dr basically said don't go, not because I will not be well enough, but that the Mallorcan health care MAY not be able deal with any side effects I may get from the chemo. I found this view a very arrogant one - and was based on no knowledge on their part, just a sweeping statement that 'here is best' - which it may well be, not going certainly would be the easiest option, but it doesn't mean it's impossible - does it!. I want to research this before I make a decision - so any views/info would be so greatly received and appreciated.

Also, they want to put a picc line in for the chemo infusions - I know this has to be kept dry - so swimming, bathing my kids etc. will be out of the question. Does anyone know if I can just have a canulla in when I go in every 3wks?

Thank you

God bless you all

Comments

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Hi Vickie
    You don't mention where you are located...are you in Europe or USA or Canada or elsewhere?

In searching the internet I found the following link to a news item from February this year. http://alcudiapollensa.blogspot.com/2012/02/mallorca-today-mallorca-hospitals-in.html

If you are a European resident, then your normal health card will get you services.

If you find that the services at your vacation spot are not the best, the closest major location is Barcelona.

You mention that they want to put in a picc line. That is a very exposed item and you would have to be very careful about any tugging on the line due to activities with the kids, luggage, etc.

Here is another site regarding what you need to know about caring for a picc line.
    http://picclinenursing.com/picc_care.html

Has your doctor discussed a portacath as an alternative to the picc line? The following is info about it.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5481188_chemo-port-procedures.html as an alternative to the picc line?

Hope that you and your doctor can find some way for you to join the family on the vacation.

Marie who loves kitties
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member

Hi Vickie
    You don't mention where you are located...are you in Europe or USA or Canada or elsewhere?

In searching the internet I found the following link to a news item from February this year. http://alcudiapollensa.blogspot.com/2012/02/mallorca-today-mallorca-hospitals-in.html

If you are a European resident, then your normal health card will get you services.

If you find that the services at your vacation spot are not the best, the closest major location is Barcelona.

You mention that they want to put in a picc line. That is a very exposed item and you would have to be very careful about any tugging on the line due to activities with the kids, luggage, etc.

Here is another site regarding what you need to know about caring for a picc line.
    http://picclinenursing.com/picc_care.html

Has your doctor discussed a portacath as an alternative to the picc line? The following is info about it.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5481188_chemo-port-procedures.html as an alternative to the picc line?

Hope that you and your doctor can find some way for you to join the family on the vacation.

Marie who loves kitties

I agree with Marie on the
    I agree with Marie on the PICC line, I had a PICC line and hated it, it's cumbersome even to shower in my opinion. I have a port and it's sooo much better, I swim all the time and it's worry free. With the PICC line you have these tubes dangling out of your arm, and you cannot get them wet. As for chemo. everyone reacts differently to it. I had manageable side effect, didn't disrupt my life....but others have had it where it knocks them down and they have to rest often, you cannot predict how you will react even infusion to infusion can be very different. Best of luck to you.
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    Chiming in with the others....
    PICC lines are fragile and awkward....if at all possible get a powerport or portacath, both of which are surgically inserted in your chest to make the delivery of chemo easier. I had the powerport, but briefly had a PICC line. The difference between the two is like lighting a fireplace with a bic lighter versus rubbing a stick against a rock hoping to get a spark.
    Life is much easier with a power port....
    As far as chemo, everybody reacts differently, but mostly unpleasantly. However, it is cumulative so if you take your vacay before too many infusions, you might be okay.
    (Figuring you truly did come to this site for advice.)
    I can understand why you wouldn't want to cancel your trip, but is there anyway you can delay it until after all the treatments?
    Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.
    Welcome to the Board~
    TommyCat
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Vacation and Treatment
    Treatment can vary from one patient to another and while a lot of people continue working while receiving treatment, others are knocked to the ground and cannot get out of bed. You say that your doctor is treating you as if you have advanced colorectal cancer - they should know what they are dealing with. Have you not had a CT or PET scan as you said they don't know if it has spread. Here in the States we are treated by further testing and scans before chemo starts. Surgery can be immediate in certain circumstances, but oncology knows what you are up against. As for the vacation, can't say whether you should go or not as I'm not sure how far Mallorca is from your home. PowerPort for chemo infusion is a very easy and more comfortable option. Heard not so good things about the picc. By the way, welcome to the board and if you do decide to go on vacation, enjoy yourself.

Kim
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

Vacation and Treatment
    Treatment can vary from one patient to another and while a lot of people continue working while receiving treatment, others are knocked to the ground and cannot get out of bed. You say that your doctor is treating you as if you have advanced colorectal cancer - they should know what they are dealing with. Have you not had a CT or PET scan as you said they don't know if it has spread. Here in the States we are treated by further testing and scans before chemo starts. Surgery can be immediate in certain circumstances, but oncology knows what you are up against. As for the vacation, can't say whether you should go or not as I'm not sure how far Mallorca is from your home. PowerPort for chemo infusion is a very easy and more comfortable option. Heard not so good things about the picc. By the way, welcome to the board and if you do decide to go on vacation, enjoy yourself.

Kim

Vickie I'm from Barcelona ,been hundred of times in Mallorca
    There are many hospitals in Mallorca but you have to go to Palma.Got excellent service there in Son Espases Hospital. http://www.hospitalsonespases.es/
    It's a major SS hospital with any service you can need, with fully oncology services, so if they deal with a liver transplant don't you think they can deal with a simple chemo side effect?.The only problem is ,are you EU citizen?.
    Hugs Vickie and don't worry about it.
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn said:

Vickie I'm from Barcelona ,been hundred of times in Mallorca
    There are many hospitals in Mallorca but you have to go to Palma.Got excellent service there in Son Espases Hospital. http://www.hospitalsonespases.es/
    It's a major SS hospital with any service you can need, with fully oncology services, so if they deal with a liver transplant don't you think they can deal with a simple chemo side effect?.The only problem is ,are you EU citizen?.
    Hugs Vickie and don't worry about it.

Even better, you can go to son Llatzer hospital!
    http://www.hsll.es/
    Also a SS hospital in Palma city, great infrastructure and team.
    I been told their department of oncology is the best in the island!
    As you see you got two superb modern hospitals of SS just in Palma city.
    Hugs.
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn said:

Even better, you can go to son Llatzer hospital!
    http://www.hsll.es/
    Also a SS hospital in Palma city, great infrastructure and team.
    I been told their department of oncology is the best in the island!
    As you see you got two superb modern hospitals of SS just in Palma city.
    Hugs.

double post
    sorry
  • fatbob2010
    fatbob2010 Member Posts: 467 Member
    Port
    Hi I'm new to the board, but have a port that is worry free. Heard nothing good about PICC line. The loss of personal freedom on my cancer journey so far is one of the things that I find distressing. It feels that so many parts of my life are now subordinate to the *&^%$ cancer. If you do go on vacation try to enjoy, may be a while before another. Hugs to you and your family.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    good luck!
    Hi.

I've had both PICC line and portacatheter -- the later is much more convenient especially for swimming, bathing so if that is an option at all, I'd encourage you to try for that.

I've been on holiday while on chemo. I carry a course of antibiotics and also immodium, panadol.

Will you have just started chemo? Do you know where you will be in your chemo cycle. If you have alread had a few rounds, you may know how you react (although it's possible to have side effects at any time). And if it's not RIGHT after chemo, you will probably be feeling sharper.

Good luck!

Tara

ps woops meant to say -- yes, you have have a cannula each time. But, depending on the exact chemo you are on, it can burn and eventually your veins may complain -- some sort of port/picc is more convenient over time.
  • belindahill
    belindahill Member Posts: 144
    chemo and Mallorca
    Hi Vickie, my husband is on chemo, iv and tabs, we have booked a late holl also to majorca, we are also taking a risk, if things go belly up for us, we will just get 1st flight home to england. Have a great time if you go. xx