Number of posts

danker
danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
Has anyone else noticed how many posts colorectal has. Over 19000. Ovarian cancer has 5000+ posts. Is it there are more of us with colorectal or are we just more concerned with each other?

Comments

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,460 Member
    I noticed that when I
    I noticed that when I joined! I looked at all the numbers and I thought it effects how you eat and poop, basic life functions! We all like to eat and we all like to poop. Unless you still want kids (that would be devestating if I was in my 20s or 30s), removing your ovaries is like whew so done with those mood swings. My doctor just said he saw something on my ovary which is probably nothing and he might have to take it during surgery and I thought, can you take both? Can you take it even if there is nothing, heck you're in there anyway! That's horrible but I literally thought oh man I'd be free! My baby days are long OVER and no more mood shifts! Now breast as you'll notice has 20,000+. That has got to be the hardest cancer for women. I'd be all over that board with concerns and daily visits for information.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Posting
    Both Men and women get colorectal whereas mostly only women with breast and vaginal, plus I've noticed that a lot of lung and liver are usually mets from another cancer. But WE are the best board around because we have the greatest people here. There have been people from the other cancer boards coming here and have noticed what a great group we are. Wish I'd never joined, but that's history.

Kim
  • RobinKaye
    RobinKaye Member Posts: 93
    Helen321 said:

I noticed that when I
    I noticed that when I joined! I looked at all the numbers and I thought it effects how you eat and poop, basic life functions! We all like to eat and we all like to poop. Unless you still want kids (that would be devestating if I was in my 20s or 30s), removing your ovaries is like whew so done with those mood swings. My doctor just said he saw something on my ovary which is probably nothing and he might have to take it during surgery and I thought, can you take both? Can you take it even if there is nothing, heck you're in there anyway! That's horrible but I literally thought oh man I'd be free! My baby days are long OVER and no more mood shifts! Now breast as you'll notice has 20,000+. That has got to be the hardest cancer for women. I'd be all over that board with concerns and daily visits for information.

Breast cancer
    All cancer sucks and I'm just the wife but after seeing what my husband is going through I know that I would prefer breast cancer any day of the week and twice on Sundays compared to rectal.
    Not saying bc isn't bad...just sayin'.

I noticed the numbers, always thought that there were just more people surviving with crc.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    T's beat A's
    The Breast Cancer forum has us beat, they have 274000+ posts.
    Colon Cancer is (I want to say "the #2") cancer killer in US. It could be #3.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    PhillieG said:

T's beat A's
    The Breast Cancer forum has us beat, they have 274000+ posts.
    Colon Cancer is (I want to say "the #2") cancer killer in US. It could be #3.

Just heard it on the radio - it is the #2 killer - bummer :( but highly treatable. Just read that COPD is the third leading cause of death in the US - didn't realize it was that high.

Kim
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    danker -

Please keep in mind, that only 1/10 of 1% of (or less) of cancer
    victims even know about this website, much less post to it.

I found it through a reference on the UOAA website, otherwise
    I would have never known about it!

Best of health to you!

John
  • PhillieG
    John23 said:

danker -

Please keep in mind, that only 1/10 of 1% of (or less) of cancer
    victims even know about this website, much less post to it.

I found it through a reference on the UOAA website, otherwise
    I would have never known about it!

Best of health to you!

John

Hi John
    Why do you always seem to refer to people with cancer as victims?
    We're Cancer Impaired Persons...
    PWC (People With Cancer)

Should those who just die be called victims of old age or victims of being born?
    Only we can make ourselves a victim and it's a very negative attitude.
    You're certainly free to live your life as a victim if that's what helps you.
    You're a good guy with a lot to offer.

Best of attitudes to you!
    -phil

BTW: where did you find those stats?
  • dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    PhillieG said:

Hi John
    Why do you always seem to refer to people with cancer as victims?
    We're Cancer Impaired Persons...
    PWC (People With Cancer)

Should those who just die be called victims of old age or victims of being born?
    Only we can make ourselves a victim and it's a very negative attitude.
    You're certainly free to live your life as a victim if that's what helps you.
    You're a good guy with a lot to offer.

Best of attitudes to you!
    -phil

BTW: where did you find those stats?

PWC
    WOW...
    What do you call yourself..
    I try very hard to stay away from that word victim..
    Attitude is what it is all about..
    I try many words to describe myself but PWC is a new one to me.. Thanks Phill
    I think I use the word but the accronym.. I never realized..
    ACS calls us Survivor from the first day of diagnosis.. I think I have been going with that..
  • PhillieG
    dmj101 said:

PWC
    WOW...
    What do you call yourself..
    I try very hard to stay away from that word victim..
    Attitude is what it is all about..
    I try many words to describe myself but PWC is a new one to me.. Thanks Phill
    I think I use the word but the accronym.. I never realized..
    ACS calls us Survivor from the first day of diagnosis.. I think I have been going with that..

I Call Myself
    Phil (with one L)
    :-)
    I have cancer so if I have to label it I say that I'm "living with cancer". I don't say I'm dying from cancer.
    I've never been big on Survivor either. They're just labels that help some people either identify themselves or others.
    To each their own but I feel if you label yourself with something that is more negative than positive it might not be that helpful.
    I'd rather say I'm "living" than I'm a "victim".

The video I posted that no one but Tori has viewed is interesting (to me at least) because it talks about how people view themselves when faced with a serious illness and how others often view them. I guess since it deals with death that it's not interesting to many...
    -p
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    PhillieG said:

I Call Myself
    Phil (with one L)
    :-)
    I have cancer so if I have to label it I say that I'm "living with cancer". I don't say I'm dying from cancer.
    I've never been big on Survivor either. They're just labels that help some people either identify themselves or others.
    To each their own but I feel if you label yourself with something that is more negative than positive it might not be that helpful.
    I'd rather say I'm "living" than I'm a "victim".

The video I posted that no one but Tori has viewed is interesting (to me at least) because it talks about how people view themselves when faced with a serious illness and how others often view them. I guess since it deals with death that it's not interesting to many...
    -p

I'm interested
    Phil,

Is it posted on here? I've been in and out of here a lot lately, because life is so busy. I would be interested in seeing it.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375 Member
    Helen321 said:

I noticed that when I

Can't compare that one cancer is easier than another
    That really isn't fair to anyone suffering with any kind of cancer. If a woman has advanced cervical cancer (IE: it has metastasized to anywhere), then taking out her reproductive organs is not going to help. They may take them out because that is where the primary tumor is, but cancer spreading is cancer spreading no matter what kind of cancer it is. It means cancer cells, so small that one can't even see them on a CT or PET scan (and certainly can't see them with the naked eye) have gone systemic and are traveling through our blood streams... where they land and whether they will grow into a tumor is anyone's guess. So whether you have colon, breast, rectal, ovarian, kidney, liver, lung or any other kind of cancer...catching it early is the only way you can be fairly certain (and I use the word "fairly" with caution) that it may not come back. Once it has spread... then the plan is to keep it stable and under control for as long (hopefully YEARS) as possible... and it means all of us who are at that stage know that we are LIVING WITH CANCER, just like some may be LIVING with Diabetes, or LIVING with MS or LIVING with a multitude of other diseases that modern medicine is fighting to keep under control.

Ok... so having said that, Helen... yikes! When you said that "unless you still want kids, removing your ovaries is like whew, so done with those mood swings." OMG!! I think my face must have blanched when I read that ;) You do realize that a woman's ovaries role in the body is not just for reproduction purposes, right? The ovaries are the hormone making machine that provides our bodies with estrogen, protostrogen, testosterone, and a few other hormones that I can't spell either ;) Yes, there are the mood swings that come with swings in the hormone levels ... most notable after giving birth and/or approaching menopause (oh, and as one is hitting puberty... but I think we all are past that stage ). So even when one has gone through menopause, although the ovaries do not produce hormones at the same levels they did when we were pre-menopausal,, they do still produce the amount we need... and balance them in our bodies. You yank out the ovaries and all of a sudden you do not have these hormones being produced, which can create havoc in your body (more than just mood swings). You will find most women do go on synthetic hormone replacement therapy after having their ovaries removed... not only because they go into immediate menopause (no matter what age they are), but their bodies are not getting the hormones they need, so they have to be supplemented. When you hear that women have the "choice" of taking HRT, that is more so when they are going through menopause naturally, but still have their ovaries intact. A lot of women who have complete hysterectomies (with ovary removal), don't have much of a choice... and find that they need the supplemental hormones. Most doctors, if recommending a hysterectomy, they will also recommend keeping at least one ovary... but when it's cancer-related, then sometimes there's no choice... everything has to come out for safety's sake. HRT is just the price you might have to pay, and other problems might not arise for a few years, depending on your age/health. But don't take ovary/uterus removal lightly... even though I think every female can relate to you when you just want the cycles to be over and done with!! :)

What does this have to do with the number of posts?? (See, I can get back on topic) . I think a big part of this is twofold... 1) Colorectal cancer actually involves a variety of cancers that fall under the colorectal umbrella, so therefore we have more people with different cancers as well as their caregivers and 2) it only takes a handful of really nice people to get together. Nice attracts nice, so the "club" grows very quickly. Long before I ever found the board, many years before as a matter of fact, a small group would have started here... and from their attitude and willingness to help others, the board grew.

I'm not sure how many members are on this board. We know the ones that post are usually just a small percentage of who comes through and reads posts (aka the term "lurkers") without actually posting themselves. I have no idea what that percentage is, but it's a common phenomenon on most every online bulletin board.

Cheryl in Vancouver
    (who is going to indulge herself in watching all kinds of Monarchy shows this weekend to celebrate the Royal Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth)