I will be starting Monday Radiation and Wednesday Chemo

Options
Matt29
Matt29 Member Posts: 62
Hi everybody the time has finally come to get the treatment started and get this behind me they told me Monday i will start radiation and Wednesday will start my chemo if you have any words of advice please let me know i got all my nausea meds for the chemo i also got a nurse that dropped off IV fluids for after treatment i'm getting a razor tommrow i would like to stay clean shaven LOL Radiation i ordered the xymelts and stoppers 4 i have high calorie carnations breakfast 560 calories and a little disk thing that's another 320 calories i have the cream for my neck and also pure aloe plant that i took the juice off and put in a bottle to use after radiation i heard swallowing it is suppose to work really good also? i'm sure tonsil dad will correct me if am wrong am i missing anything please let me know.Thank You,Matt

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Matt.....I'm SO glad you're on the track now for treatment....
    It sounds like you've gotten stocked up to me....I do the Instant Breakfast VHC also...glad to get 560 calories out of the way in 8 ozs.

But I'm very curious about the "disk" thing that is worth 360 calories. What is that and where did you get it? I'd like to check it out.

p
  • Matt29
    Matt29 Member Posts: 62
    Options

Matt.....I'm SO glad you're on the track now for treatment....
    It sounds like you've gotten stocked up to me....I do the Instant Breakfast VHC also...glad to get 560 calories out of the way in 8 ozs.

But I'm very curious about the "disk" thing that is worth 360 calories. What is that and where did you get it? I'd like to check it out.

p

Phrannie51
    hi phrannie its called Benecalorie its 330 calories and 7grams of protein its unflavored and mixes well with other foods i add it to my smoothies that i have been drinking along with the instant carnation breakfast the company that makes it is Nestle i get mine at MD Anderson but you can buy it on Amazon as well let me know if you have any other questions on it i'm glad you are doing so well you guys are my inspiration and i love the picture with your dog beautiful good luck on everything and i can't wait to be where your at.Matt
  • nick770
    nick770 Member Posts: 195
    Options
    best of luck to you, im only
    best of luck to you, im only finishing week two so i dont have much advice other that stay hydrated i also use aloe on my neck when the treatment is over.

P.S.

where are you guys finding the carnations 560 stuff?
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    #1 coming up
    Matt,
    Sorry you have to be here, but glad you are ready. My first three weeks (15 rads) wasn’t too bad. It is around 3 to 5 weeks for me that the physical affects started. My last hamburger was during week 3. My last razor shave was week 6 and I got in trouble. The extreme burn on my neck wasn’t until week 6, 7, & 8. As you progress through treatments just let us know what is going on and we will all chime in. While my throat was extremely sore I never stopped drinking tons of water. I had two PEG tubes, the first lousy and the second fantastic. I had the PEG removed at week 2 post and I am still on (90%) liquid diet (smoothieville).

Getting through radiation (mask) for me was 1 Lorazepam 30 minutes before treatment. Make sure I didn’t itch any where, have them plug in some 60’s and 70’s rock, close my eyes when the mask went on (then open), count till the first shot and then count the shots and look around. My machine had a real good mirror shot of me in the mask, sometimes I looked sometimes I did not. Make sure the mask fits good, wiggle your head to get in position, put your hand up and stop them if the mask pinches or hurts, it is probably just your position. Have them take it off and put back on, worked every time.

They really do get easier (kinda). Do it one treatment at a time. You don’t know how rough it will be until it gets rough.

There I relived it, good luck and Gods speed, were with you.

Matt
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    nick770 said:

best of luck to you, im only
    best of luck to you, im only finishing week two so i dont have much advice other that stay hydrated i also use aloe on my neck when the treatment is over.

P.S.

where are you guys finding the carnations 560 stuff?

Nick....I got the Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC
    on Amazon.com. It's a lot of calories packed into a little can.

p
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    Great!
    I felt better when I had a treatment plan in place, and even though I didn't feel better physically, I felt much better mentally when treatment started, and I felt like we were really doing something to fight the cancer.

I really resented having to buy the electric razor - during induction chemo, all the hair I would have shaved jumped ship, so I barely used the thing.

I, too, have heard aloe juice helps with a number of issues (including GERD or acid reflux).

Do well. Keep us updated.
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Pam M said:

Great!
    I felt better when I had a treatment plan in place, and even though I didn't feel better physically, I felt much better mentally when treatment started, and I felt like we were really doing something to fight the cancer.

I really resented having to buy the electric razor - during induction chemo, all the hair I would have shaved jumped ship, so I barely used the thing.

I, too, have heard aloe juice helps with a number of issues (including GERD or acid reflux).

Do well. Keep us updated.

Matt29...
    Man are you ready or what! Great job ....you are gonna do great!!!!!!!

Still have you on my nightly prayers ....

Tim
  • ooo
    ooo Member Posts: 105
    Options
    We are all with you
    We are all with you Matt!

Dre.
  • Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    Options
    ooo said:

We are all with you
    We are all with you Matt!

Dre.

Bring it on !
    Wow, Matt, you are soooo ready ! you will do just fine and someday this will all just be a blip in your memory bank. I am wishing the best in your treatment and look forward to any updates on your progress. God bless !
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt

You sound all ready to go, just one last thing before you begin and that is “Prayer”. I hope you don’t mind if I put you on my list.

Hondo