Scans every 3 mos-ugh

DogRescuer
DogRescuer Member Posts: 52 Member
Those of you who have to have scans every few months---how do you handle it emotionally? I’m having my first scans since surgery on Monday and it’s SO scary.

History: had stage II breast cancer, surgery, chemo 3 yrs ago; Feb had spinal MRI due to leg/back pain; discovered back problems and accidentally discovered 8.5 tumor on kidney; nephrectomy Feb 27th ; 2 mos later had back surgery to fuse 4 discs and healing well.

Due to the size of the kidney tumor, I have to have scans every 3 mos. How do you not freak out? I have my little bottle of Xanex when I need it, so that will help. Any suggestions on how to get through this? Denial? Alcohol? Binge eating? JK Seriously, do you just hope and concentrate on the best outcome? I feel like I have to start living my life in 3 month increments, depending on the outcome of scans.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Comments

• alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member
    Scans
    Don't think I'm being a smart **** asking this, because for me it's a very reasonable question. Don't you have four-legged therapists living with you? They make all the difference in the world for me awaiting John's various treatments and scans, etc. They get me through a lot.
  • DogRescuer
    DogRescuer Member Posts: 52 Member
    alice124 said:

Scans
    Don't think I'm being a smart **** asking this, because for me it's a very reasonable question. Don't you have four-legged therapists living with you? They make all the difference in the world for me awaiting John's various treatments and scans, etc. They get me through a lot.

Furkids
    YES! I have 3 dogs and I don't know what I'd do without them! Two are rescues who I began fostering, and because they were extra needy and couldn't find a forever home I decided to adopt them. Maybe some extra time at dog parks with them this wkend would help. I was depressed yesterday in fact, took them to the dog park and it REALLY helped! Thanks!
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647

Furkids
    YES! I have 3 dogs and I don't know what I'd do without them! Two are rescues who I began fostering, and because they were extra needy and couldn't find a forever home I decided to adopt them. Maybe some extra time at dog parks with them this wkend would help. I was depressed yesterday in fact, took them to the dog park and it REALLY helped! Thanks!

Scanxeity...
    DR,

Its a lot like the wait before surgery and there's no real way to avoid it, the first time is the worst, but it does get easier with each NED. Finding things to keep your brain occupied is the best medicine, but not always easy to do, the Furkids will be a big help. Most likely you will receive a good report so try to think positively and anticipate this experience as a confirmation that you are cancer free.

Hang in there,

Gary
  • lbinmsp
    lbinmsp Member Posts: 266
    Difficult question
    and more 'individual' than you'd expect. This is what I did - with my first post-op check and when my doc told me the followup would be every 3 months, I set them up for the year - at that time. Put them into my calendar with reminders to pop up 3 days before. Then I forgot about them and just lived my life, went to work, did my thing. Three days before the scan the reminder popped up and then a little nervousness would set in. For me the worst part was waiting for the results which usually took a week. So I would have about 10 days of 'twitters' - then after I got the results I could forget about it again until the next reminder.

I think each of us finds our own way to manage this particular time of stress - hopefully not eating everything that isn't moving - or taking up smoking (JOKING here!).

Good luck to you - a prayers that the scans will be clean!

LizB
  • alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member

Furkids

Furkids
    Is that one in them in your picture? Bless you for caring enough to take on unwanted furkids. I really think the ManUpstairs has a special place for rescuers and will take extra special care of you. I'm not going to go on about animals and bore others but if you want to email me, don't hesitate. I'll help any way I can.
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    lbinmsp said:

Difficult question
    and more 'individual' than you'd expect. This is what I did - with my first post-op check and when my doc told me the followup would be every 3 months, I set them up for the year - at that time. Put them into my calendar with reminders to pop up 3 days before. Then I forgot about them and just lived my life, went to work, did my thing. Three days before the scan the reminder popped up and then a little nervousness would set in. For me the worst part was waiting for the results which usually took a week. So I would have about 10 days of 'twitters' - then after I got the results I could forget about it again until the next reminder.

I think each of us finds our own way to manage this particular time of stress - hopefully not eating everything that isn't moving - or taking up smoking (JOKING here!).

Good luck to you - a prayers that the scans will be clean!

LizB

scans
    Dogrescuer, I'd make a trade with you. My scans are every SIX weeks.