My first time missing my treatment :-(

Options
CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
I was so ill with that intestinal bacterial infection that I was told to postpone my hormone therapy and bisphosphonate injections for two weeks. I can't tell you how anxious that made me!

Finally, I had all 3 injections this afternoon. I am sitting here with a very sore butt, but very happy to be back in the saddle again :-). I want to fight cancer with everything I can!

My chemo nurse, Cynthia, treated me 25 years ago! She said that she has never remembered me, ever, missing a treatment and she was worried. I love that she still takes care of me. I feel like we are old warriors together.

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Glad It's Over and Want Your Opinion
    Dear CC,

I am so very happy that you have finally over your shingles and infection. I had several bouts with shingles and hope never to experience them again.

You have a remarkable nurse and fortunate to have been there together for 25 years. I did come close once in having the nurse who explained to me what would happen in the OR the following day when I had a mastectomy. I had her for my first round with 250 mg Faslodex shots, 14 years later. She retired that year from a long nursing career.

Faslodex this time around is not anything like the first time. I have a lot of nausea this time, the booster shots produced vomiting along with the nausea. I had a shot on Wednesday after work and had problem yesterday, severe bones & joints pain that I could hardly walk and kept putting on Voltaren-gel on my knees, nausea and fatigue that was so overwhelming, it made me leave work for my bed.

My oncologist believe that my tumors are now resistant to hormonal therapies. The Faslodex shots I am receiving more than likely won't work and if it does, it will be very short term. For the first time ever, I left totally depressed with my first visit after starting the shots with the oncologist.

What is your opinion on those of us who have used hormonal therapies long term. Do you believe our cells are slow growing and won't really respond to chemotherapy very long? Isn't chemotherapy for fast growing cells? I really would like to know your take on this CC.

As ever,

Doris
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    SIROD said:

Glad It's Over and Want Your Opinion
    Dear CC,

I am so very happy that you have finally over your shingles and infection. I had several bouts with shingles and hope never to experience them again.

You have a remarkable nurse and fortunate to have been there together for 25 years. I did come close once in having the nurse who explained to me what would happen in the OR the following day when I had a mastectomy. I had her for my first round with 250 mg Faslodex shots, 14 years later. She retired that year from a long nursing career.

Faslodex this time around is not anything like the first time. I have a lot of nausea this time, the booster shots produced vomiting along with the nausea. I had a shot on Wednesday after work and had problem yesterday, severe bones & joints pain that I could hardly walk and kept putting on Voltaren-gel on my knees, nausea and fatigue that was so overwhelming, it made me leave work for my bed.

My oncologist believe that my tumors are now resistant to hormonal therapies. The Faslodex shots I am receiving more than likely won't work and if it does, it will be very short term. For the first time ever, I left totally depressed with my first visit after starting the shots with the oncologist.

What is your opinion on those of us who have used hormonal therapies long term. Do you believe our cells are slow growing and won't really respond to chemotherapy very long? Isn't chemotherapy for fast growing cells? I really would like to know your take on this CC.

As ever,

Doris

Personally I am not
    Personally I am not convinced that my cancer cells are that slow growing as my cancer was all over my breast when I was first diagnosed at the ripe old age of 33.

What I am absolutely convinced of, is that my cancer appears to be more responsive to treatment than many other types out there. I, too, worry about the day when the cancer morphs into a more resistant beast. I try my very best to be as compliant as possible and I do believe that that has also been a big issue in keeping me alive. As a health care provider, I understand that, although our treatments have nasty adverse effects, they are also are biggest hope.

I am so sorry, Doris, that you are having a hard time and I am praying that the faslodex will work for you as it does seem to offer hope with hormone-resistant tumors. Note, there is also current research going on that combines faslodex with an aromatase-inhibitor (http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/content/12/7/774.full). I meant to ask my oncologist about this and you might want to ask yours???

I also believe that, if your oncologist is becoming negative, it may be time for some "fresh eyes" to take a look. It never hurts to get a second opinion and, although I am back with my original onc, he was not offended in the least by my seeking a second opinion. My sister, also a physician, says she likes it hwne her patients get a second opinion because, sometimes, a set of fresh eyes will suggest something that she hasn't considered.

Please get better. I need you to be here with me! Us old-timers need to stick together. Big hugs!
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

Personally I am not
    Personally I am not convinced that my cancer cells are that slow growing as my cancer was all over my breast when I was first diagnosed at the ripe old age of 33.

What I am absolutely convinced of, is that my cancer appears to be more responsive to treatment than many other types out there. I, too, worry about the day when the cancer morphs into a more resistant beast. I try my very best to be as compliant as possible and I do believe that that has also been a big issue in keeping me alive. As a health care provider, I understand that, although our treatments have nasty adverse effects, they are also are biggest hope.

I am so sorry, Doris, that you are having a hard time and I am praying that the faslodex will work for you as it does seem to offer hope with hormone-resistant tumors. Note, there is also current research going on that combines faslodex with an aromatase-inhibitor (http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/content/12/7/774.full). I meant to ask my oncologist about this and you might want to ask yours???

I also believe that, if your oncologist is becoming negative, it may be time for some "fresh eyes" to take a look. It never hurts to get a second opinion and, although I am back with my original onc, he was not offended in the least by my seeking a second opinion. My sister, also a physician, says she likes it hwne her patients get a second opinion because, sometimes, a set of fresh eyes will suggest something that she hasn't considered.

Please get better. I need you to be here with me! Us old-timers need to stick together. Big hugs!

You two "old timers"
    are a huge beacon of hope for all of us. I'm so sorry you've both hit some rough spots in the road and hope and pray that life gets better for you soon. I'll do my part for you to get there by sending some prayers, well wishes, and good ol' mojo along.

Hugs,
    Suzanne
  • SIROD
    Options

Personally I am not

All But One I Believe!
    Dear CC,

I have heard of the trial that combine Faslodex with Arimidex and a simple explanation is on the web site of breastcancer.org.

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/new_research/20111208.jsp.

The trial was called SWOG s0226 trials combining Faslodex with Arimidex was successful. In the many boards I do read, a few women were in the trial and some are using this combo plan now. I believe it works but for me it is no longer an option.

Arimidex failed when the ct scan showed widespread lungs, pleura mets along with a pleural effusion in 2008. I had many, many years on that drug and it allowed me to live my life without thinking of cancer very often. The ct scan in March showed that reboot Femara failed with a lot of progression in tumors and nodes in both lungs, pleura, ribs. My real concerns is not the ribs but the visceral organ that the cancer has continued to progressed for over a year. Tamoxifen didn't work and on Faslodex did progress at 250 mg. Aromasin is all that is left, to close a drug to Arimidex and Femara to fool around with at this point.

I do believe my oncologist that my days with anti hormonal drugs are more than likely over. My original pathology stated my tumor was aggressive but, my history shows otherwise. My oncologist stated that mine was an indolent cancer and that is why I am 17+ still here. We have been together for 13 years and hasn't yet made me loose confidence in the treatment plans. There is an oncologist that takes care of those going to my small treatment center I could use if needed. My oncologist is at the larger cancer center a considerable distant from my home. For convenience I have the shots at the smaller local one.

Hope we will walk together for a long time too.

Take care and build up your strength as you had a lot to deal with recently with shingles and an infection.

Doris
  • SIROD
    Options

You two "old timers"
    are a huge beacon of hope for all of us. I'm so sorry you've both hit some rough spots in the road and hope and pray that life gets better for you soon. I'll do my part for you to get there by sending some prayers, well wishes, and good ol' mojo along.

Hugs,
    Suzanne

Thanks You!
    Thank you Suzanne. I know you have had some major upsets in your own life in the past few weeks.

I hope your hair situations will work out. I lost a best friend many years ago to ovarian cancer. She was diagnose 18 months before me. Then died 18 months after my own bc dx. I understand the lost.

Best,

Doris
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    SIROD said:

All But One I Believe!
    Dear CC,

I have heard of the trial that combine Faslodex with Arimidex and a simple explanation is on the web site of breastcancer.org.

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/new_research/20111208.jsp.

The trial was called SWOG s0226 trials combining Faslodex with Arimidex was successful. In the many boards I do read, a few women were in the trial and some are using this combo plan now. I believe it works but for me it is no longer an option.

Arimidex failed when the ct scan showed widespread lungs, pleura mets along with a pleural effusion in 2008. I had many, many years on that drug and it allowed me to live my life without thinking of cancer very often. The ct scan in March showed that reboot Femara failed with a lot of progression in tumors and nodes in both lungs, pleura, ribs. My real concerns is not the ribs but the visceral organ that the cancer has continued to progressed for over a year. Tamoxifen didn't work and on Faslodex did progress at 250 mg. Aromasin is all that is left, to close a drug to Arimidex and Femara to fool around with at this point.

I do believe my oncologist that my days with anti hormonal drugs are more than likely over. My original pathology stated my tumor was aggressive but, my history shows otherwise. My oncologist stated that mine was an indolent cancer and that is why I am 17+ still here. We have been together for 13 years and hasn't yet made me loose confidence in the treatment plans. There is an oncologist that takes care of those going to my small treatment center I could use if needed. My oncologist is at the larger cancer center a considerable distant from my home. For convenience I have the shots at the smaller local one.

Hope we will walk together for a long time too.

Take care and build up your strength as you had a lot to deal with recently with shingles and an infection.

Doris

Hang in there Doris! Are
    Hang in there Doris! Are you on faslodex 500mg or 250mg? I thought 250 was no longer recommended?

I also receive all of my shots at the local center--I don't believe it is necessary to go elsewhere for them either. My "old" oncology nurse used to be in New Orleans when I was initially treated. Coincidentally, she is now charge nurse at our new community (suburban) infusion center. Cynthia says it is patients like us that make her job worthwhile. I feel she makes me fight harder.

You take it easy and build your strength too; I am worried about you! Please let me know if I can help. I don't know where you live, but maybe we can one day organize an "old-timers" get-together :-)
  • SIROD
    Options

Hang in there Doris! Are
    Hang in there Doris! Are you on faslodex 500mg or 250mg? I thought 250 was no longer recommended?

I also receive all of my shots at the local center--I don't believe it is necessary to go elsewhere for them either. My "old" oncology nurse used to be in New Orleans when I was initially treated. Coincidentally, she is now charge nurse at our new community (suburban) infusion center. Cynthia says it is patients like us that make her job worthwhile. I feel she makes me fight harder.

You take it easy and build your strength too; I am worried about you! Please let me know if I can help. I don't know where you live, but maybe we can one day organize an "old-timers" get-together :-)

500 MG
    Hi again,

No it's 500 MG and that is why I was allowed to try, one more time.

Anti nausea drugs don't work well for me. I went through everyone including Marinol back in '95. That one put me asleep immediately, worthless.

While in the hospital a few months ago, I had a problem with vomiting, they tried everyone kind of anti nausea drugs on me, which didn't work. My oncologist has had the pharmacy make up one for me this last time. I have forgotten what it is called. It is a cream that I rub together with my wrists. It works better than any I ever used. I do wonder if it is strong enough to overcome the side effects of chemotherapy. There are times, I use it more than I should just to keep from being sick. I do hope the next scan gives me a reprieve even if it's a short one.

Never went to a bc get together, could be fun.

Thanks again,

Doris
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    SIROD said:

500 MG
    Hi again,

No it's 500 MG and that is why I was allowed to try, one more time.

Anti nausea drugs don't work well for me. I went through everyone including Marinol back in '95. That one put me asleep immediately, worthless.

While in the hospital a few months ago, I had a problem with vomiting, they tried everyone kind of anti nausea drugs on me, which didn't work. My oncologist has had the pharmacy make up one for me this last time. I have forgotten what it is called. It is a cream that I rub together with my wrists. It works better than any I ever used. I do wonder if it is strong enough to overcome the side effects of chemotherapy. There are times, I use it more than I should just to keep from being sick. I do hope the next scan gives me a reprieve even if it's a short one.

Never went to a bc get together, could be fun.

Thanks again,

Doris

Marinol was completely
    Marinol was completely worthless for me. Danny called it oreganol...lol. Zofran is about the only thing that I can take and that works for me. Only adverse effect for me is headache and that can sometimes be tough.

I am praying that you get a reprieve too. I am looking at my schedule now to see if I can swing the Florida trip. It might be hard because we have tentatively planned to return to Disney World at the beginning of December.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Marinol was completely
    Marinol was completely worthless for me. Danny called it oreganol...lol. Zofran is about the only thing that I can take and that works for me. Only adverse effect for me is headache and that can sometimes be tough.

I am praying that you get a reprieve too. I am looking at my schedule now to see if I can swing the Florida trip. It might be hard because we have tentatively planned to return to Disney World at the beginning of December.

bumping up