Severe Pain/ Burning/ Intching with Taxol

I am about to go crazy. I am on Dense dose chemo. I endured terrible side effects with four rounds of AC, but nothing prepared me for my first dose of Taxol. Dr. said it would be sooooo much easier. I feel like I am in a nightmare. Besides the nausea, fever for a week, achiness, bone pain, and weakness, my entire body itches like crazy and my hands are constantly burning and on fire. They go from being bright red and hot to itching to feeling like someone is stabbing me all the time. i am on predisone, pain meds, and putting cortizone on them, but seriously? Has anyone else had this and found any relief? This is terrible....

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Have...
    You notified your oncologist about this? Because it sounds like a severe reaction to the Taxol....you need to call his office and report these side effects....especially BEFORE your next infusion....in the meantime try Benadryl for the itching, and your anti nausea meds...you need to take them before the nausea starts..easier to prevent...are you having a Neulasta injection the day after chemo? If so, that could be what's causing the joint/bone pain....I get that from the shot....and experience the joint pain for a day or two....

You definitely need to notify your oncologist BEFORE your next infusion..
    I am so sorry you're going through this....I'm sure other pink sisters will chime in and share their experience...remember, we're all different..

Keep us posted...we care
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I do know others have had
    I do know others have had the hand/foot redness/itching with some of the taxanes. But I'm sorry I don't recall what was done to help. Have you done any searches here to look for previous threads on this issue? Maybe a dermatologist? You might also ask about switching to one of the other taxanes (taxotere or abraxane). One of them might work better with your biology.

In the meantime, I agree with the benadryl. (You might consider topical benadryl too.) If the bone pain is from neulasta or neupogin, claratin (not claratin D) should help with that. Take it one day before your injection and continue till 2 or 3 days after your injection. Of course, check with your doc/advise nurse before adding any meds to your regimen. And I agree, be sure you talk with you doc BEFORE the next treatment. They need to know about any and all reactions you have.

Hang in there.

Hugs,

Linda
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I do know others have had the hand/foot redness/itching with some of the taxanes. But I'm sorry I don't recall what was done to help. Have you done any searches here to look for previous threads on this issue? Maybe a dermatologist? You might also ask about switching to one of the other taxanes (taxotere or abraxane). One of them might work better with your biology.

In the meantime, I agree with the benadryl. (You might consider topical benadryl too.) If the bone pain is from neulasta or neupogin, claratin (not claratin D) should help with that. Take it one day before your injection and continue till 2 or 3 days after your injection. Of course, check with your doc/advise nurse before adding any meds to your regimen. And I agree, be sure you talk with you doc BEFORE the next treatment. They need to know about any and all reactions you have.

Hang in there.

Hugs,

Linda

I had burning and itching on
    I had burning and itching on my face but not anywhere else. I agree call your doc its prob a reaction to the taxol. Benadryl cant hurt. I also had nausea although I did not vomit. i just hated eating. I also got the fever, it would go away the day before my next treatment. this lasted for 3 cycles then stopped. (I had 12). My pre meds were decadron, pepcid and benadryl. Taxol was easier for me, but not a walk in the park by any means.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Hang in there.

Hugs,

Linda

I had burning and itching on
    I had burning and itching on my face but not anywhere else. I agree call your doc its prob a reaction to the taxol. Benadryl cant hurt. I also had nausea although I did not vomit. i just hated eating. I also got the fever, it would go away the day before my next treatment. this lasted for 3 cycles then stopped. (I had 12). My pre meds were decadron, pepcid and benadryl. Taxol was easier for me, but not a walk in the park by any means.
  • Jobi
    Jobi Member Posts: 211
    I am on my 8th round of
    I am on my 8th round of Taxol, and I didn't have too many problems until recently. I have recently become nausous, had itching on my hands and feet. I thought I was crazy for a minute! The burning in the hands could be related to neuropathy.

After talking to the Pink Ladies on this site, I contacted my nurse. I have been taking Benedryl for the itchiness, claritan for bone pain (as well as advil, tylonol or vicodin if needed). The burning hands and hand pain I experienced with A/C; Lyrica was prescribed for that and worked extremely well. I hope some of this helps. Run it past your doc first.

Best,

Dorene
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Jobi said:

I am on my 8th round of
    I am on my 8th round of Taxol, and I didn't have too many problems until recently. I have recently become nausous, had itching on my hands and feet. I thought I was crazy for a minute! The burning in the hands could be related to neuropathy.

After talking to the Pink Ladies on this site, I contacted my nurse. I have been taking Benedryl for the itchiness, claritan for bone pain (as well as advil, tylonol or vicodin if needed). The burning hands and hand pain I experienced with A/C; Lyrica was prescribed for that and worked extremely well. I hope some of this helps. Run it past your doc first.

Best,

Dorene

bumping up ....
    spammers!