Anyone else still feel "dumbed-down" several years out from treatment?

karinna
karinna Member Posts: 42
I finished chemo and radiation August of 2008. I've been on Tamoxifan ever since. I used to be rather bright but chemo really affected my cognitive abilities. I lost most of my vocabulary, couldn't understand conversations, couldn't read. I do brain games alot, eat well, take my supplements, but I am still not who I used to be or capable of what I was capable of before. I'm thrilled to be here but sometimes I just get sad and feel so stupid. Ugh. Anyone else struggle with this?

Comments

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Hi
    Yes totally feel similar. To be honest wasn't very confident before the cancer but certainly worse now.

Totally feel the same way. Sure many of us do so. You are NOT alone. Like most of us at that 50 plus/or after treatment at any age when things can go crazy normally without cancer. Weight gain, the lovely hot flashes, great med side effects etc, is it age, is it normal, should I ask medical advice etc. A nightmare. Good days, bad days. I'm about 18 month out of treatment. Didn't have a lot of confidence before now less but have a great family and friends and they accept me as I am. My memory is dreadful and I am not a confident driver. Some do so well dealing with family and or work, bless them, those ladies deserve a medal in my opinion. Please keep in touch and tell us how you get on. Good luck.
  • RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Hi
    Yes totally feel similar. To be honest wasn't very confident before the cancer but certainly worse now.

Totally feel the same way. Sure many of us do so. You are NOT alone. Like most of us at that 50 plus/or after treatment at any age when things can go crazy normally without cancer. Weight gain, the lovely hot flashes, great med side effects etc, is it age, is it normal, should I ask medical advice etc. A nightmare. Good days, bad days. I'm about 18 month out of treatment. Didn't have a lot of confidence before now less but have a great family and friends and they accept me as I am. My memory is dreadful and I am not a confident driver. Some do so well dealing with family and or work, bless them, those ladies deserve a medal in my opinion. Please keep in touch and tell us how you get on. Good luck.
  • karinna

Hi

Thanks for your comments
    Thanks for answering. My hot flashes are actually full body sweats that occur during both waking and sleeping hours. You are right about the struggle with "what is normal" in the post 50 aging process. Fortunately I too have a supportive family. They love me and are just glad I'm here. Thanks again.
    karinna
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Feeling "dumbed-down"
    My last chemo treatment was almost 2 years ago. I cannot begin to tell you how many times since then I have asked myself the question, "How did I get this stupid?" Mind you, I have a post-graduate degree from a top notch university and have never considered myself to be a stupid person. Now, I cannot be so sure. Is it the chemo? Is it the aging process? I just cannot be sure - I am now 54. Whatever the cause it is depressing. I feel like I need to concentrate harder to make sure I am processing what is being said to me. If my husband asks me to do any particular task (buy something, look up info, make an appt, etc.) I write it down as soon as possible so I don't forget. I make lists more than I used to do. As you said karinna, "I am thrilled to be here but sometimes I just get sad and feel so stupid." Rest assured you are not alone.

IRENE
  • jphilpo
    jphilpo Member Posts: 177
    I know!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Karinna,

You are NOT alone!!! I finished my treatments in February 2010, and I ams till "foggy".. Work has been hard because I seem to go blank at times. I stan in front of the xerox machine sometimes and totally forget what to do. I am an avid reader, but haven't done so in a while.Thank goodness for my ipad where I can watch my old movies! Fatigue is also an issue.

I try to be positive and walk as much as possible. All we can do is what we can do!

Thanks for posting,

Jean
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    jphilpo said:

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Karinna,

You are NOT alone!!! I finished my treatments in February 2010, and I ams till "foggy".. Work has been hard because I seem to go blank at times. I stan in front of the xerox machine sometimes and totally forget what to do. I am an avid reader, but haven't done so in a while.Thank goodness for my ipad where I can watch my old movies! Fatigue is also an issue.

I try to be positive and walk as much as possible. All we can do is what we can do!

Thanks for posting,

Jean

I hear you loud and clear!
    I am 2 years out from my first round of treatments and my affliction is my forgetfullness. It drives me crazy because I used to be someone who was very detail-oriented and now, if there are more than 2 things I have to remember--forget it. Even having to remember one thing is sometimes a challenge.

I've become the queen of lists. I am now back in treatment for bone mets and I'm wondering where this is all going to take me!

Hugs, Renee
  • karinna
    missrenee said:

I hear you loud and clear!
    I am 2 years out from my first round of treatments and my affliction is my forgetfullness. It drives me crazy because I used to be someone who was very detail-oriented and now, if there are more than 2 things I have to remember--forget it. Even having to remember one thing is sometimes a challenge.

I've become the queen of lists. I am now back in treatment for bone mets and I'm wondering where this is all going to take me!

Hugs, Renee

Sorry Renee
    I'm sorry to read that you are back in treatment for bone mets. Question, my feet are killing me and my ankle won't bear my weight first thing in the morning. Did you feel bone pain? How did you know to check your bones? I have a follow-up appt in 2 weeks with my oncologist, so I was wondering....

karinna
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    I happen to be one of
    the luckier ones. NO chemo. Even though the oncologist wanted me to start the very first day I met with her. Thank goodness for Oncotype DX testing. It showed I didn't need it. I am taking Arimidex now. I started in March of this year. Even though chemo was not a treatment (radiation times 36 was) I went through, I feel the hormone therapy does affect my cognitivity. Brain fog is all too familiar for me. I swear if my head were not attached to my neck, I wouldn't know where to look for it.

I wanted to say "thank you" for your kind response to my most recent post about the lung nodules. I am here for you if you need someone to vent to and just share with.

Peace, Love and Happiness

xoxo
    Mary
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Just ADD here
    I never noticed a difference in 'brain power' while on chemo or since. BUT then I'm ADD (not ADHD - there is a difference) so have dealt with that all my life.

Yes - females can be ADD and old women can still be ADD contrary to what some Drs still think. When I decided about 6 mths ago I wanted to go back on meds for it, I was really scared that I'd get one of those sorts but I decided that as meds do improve my life, I'd give it a go. The Dr I got (my PA helped me get her) is great and all my worries were unfounded.

Wondering if there has been any research done on the chemical changes in the brain of those who continue to have 'chemo fog' and the possible help from ADD/ADHD meds? Might be something to talk to your Drs about if a problem. Bupropion is an anti-depressant but is also used for ADD - there are many different options available.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • faithm
    faithm Member Posts: 6
    chemo
    I feel exactly like what I am, POISONED!! I am foggy brained, full of nerve pain, and have very little hair now (my scalp shines all over and I did have very thick, course hair.
    I can only hope it will be better, but it's been three years now.
    People say be thankful I'm alive. I did survive, but my life is completely different and I'm not lively.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    faithm said:

chemo
    I feel exactly like what I am, POISONED!! I am foggy brained, full of nerve pain, and have very little hair now (my scalp shines all over and I did have very thick, course hair.
    I can only hope it will be better, but it's been three years now.
    People say be thankful I'm alive. I did survive, but my life is completely different and I'm not lively.

As I understand it, the estrogen blockers, such as Arimidex (which I was on) and the Tamox. can cause bone and joint pain. So, don't assume yours is anything more than than. Having said that, I was experiencing unusual back pain--not like my normal joint aches and pains. My onc. ordered a complete body bone scan, CT scan, MRI and PET scan. My T-12 vertebra was fully involved with bone mets as well as bone mets sprinkled throughout my spine and pelvis.

If this pain is unusual or something new I would definitely discuss it with your medical oncologist. If you're worried, get testing done. I am currently on more potent estrogen blockers (Faslodex injections) as well as Zometa infusions to strengthen my bones.

After my fifth treatment next Thursday, I will have a repeat PET scan to see if this new treatment is working. If not, some type of chemo will again have to be involved :(.

Take care and good luck.

Hugs, Renee
  • karinna
    missrenee said:

As I understand it, the estrogen blockers, such as Arimidex (which I was on) and the Tamox. can cause bone and joint pain. So, don't assume yours is anything more than than. Having said that, I was experiencing unusual back pain--not like my normal joint aches and pains. My onc. ordered a complete body bone scan, CT scan, MRI and PET scan. My T-12 vertebra was fully involved with bone mets as well as bone mets sprinkled throughout my spine and pelvis.

If this pain is unusual or something new I would definitely discuss it with your medical oncologist. If you're worried, get testing done. I am currently on more potent estrogen blockers (Faslodex injections) as well as Zometa infusions to strengthen my bones.

After my fifth treatment next Thursday, I will have a repeat PET scan to see if this new treatment is working. If not, some type of chemo will again have to be involved :(.

Take care and good luck.

Hugs, Renee

Thank you, Renee, for your
    Thank you, Renee, for your encouragement. And I sincerely hope chemo is not in your future. I will be praying for you great results for your repeat PET scan.

blessings,
    karinna
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Same here sister:( it just
    Same here sister:( it just keeps getting worse with every chemo too. I'm on my 9th different kind of chemo since August 2009. I graduated college with highest honors after the first go around with chemo, that was amazing. Today, I couldn't pass elementary, lol, and I too have loved ones who understand and can laugh with me when I do stupid stuff.
  • ksf56
    ksf56 Member Posts: 202
    So far my brain is mush
    Boy, I too seem to have lost my ability to think right! I finished chemo Jan.11.2012. I kind of had hope of this starting to let up but it sounds like I might have to wait awhile. Words don't come easily - names you can forget about it! Even typing is challenging (I had a moment with that word). I feel I was pretty fast with thoughts before and I've really gone down the toilet. Lists are my saving grace. I was a nurse once upon a time and I would not be a good bet to give care now. Neuropathy is really giving me a pain too - literally! My right hand is driving me nuts - yes, I'm right handed. I couldn't even shoot myself if I wanted to (and no, I don't want to).

I guess we're all in this together folks! Let's just keep talking or should I say using spellcheck together.

Karen
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    So glad you posted this topic!
    I finished chemo (18rounds) the end of Jan 2011. Thought chemo was a kind of joke...boy was I wrong! My brain still doesn't work right and the Dr. informed me that the effect wears off quickly. I don't think she believes me.

I let my Human Resource certification lapse so I am taking a class to get ready for the test. I don't think I am going to pass it.

It really does get depressing. I did college in my 30's did my BSBA in 3 years, maintained a 3.45 gradepoint, traveled 3 hours round trip, and even worked third shift. Now I feel like a space cadet.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    jphilpo said:

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Karinna,

Thanks for posting,

Jean

You are definitely not alone
    You are definitely not alone in feeling like this. I didn't have chemo. I had a lumpectomy followed by rads, but, I do forget a lot anymore. I really blame it on just being diagnosed with bc, let alone the treatments and surgery's. I think it changes us physically and mentally, which really is very sad.

I hope that you will get to feeling better. Post it notes have become my new best friend. LOL

Hugs, Noel
  • Lightheaded
    Lightheaded Member Posts: 6
    dumbed down
    I've got you beat; I finished chemo in Dec. of 2003 and I believe that I am still suffering from the side effects. I had a lumpectomy, 3 treatments of CMF - then 6 wks of radiation - then 3 more rounds of CMF. I took Arimadex for about 3 years after that. Quit taking because I believed it was making my bones and joints hurt worse than they already did. Today I still have trouble dropping words or can't remember, I also have trouble with balance, it's like I'm drunk. I won't even walk around the block alone. I have checked out "ChemoBrain" on line, if you haven't, do so. I saw a Neuroligist last year trying to get to the bottom of this feeling. Had a brain MRI, they thought that perhaps it was my inner ear. Crystals out of alaignment - not so. My neurologist and my surgeon, whom I just saw for annual check up, agree that Chemobrain is real, but I don't think they know what to do about it. Post Chemotherapy Cognitive Impairment (PCCI).
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

dumbed down
    I've got you beat; I finished chemo in Dec. of 2003 and I believe that I am still suffering from the side effects. I had a lumpectomy, 3 treatments of CMF - then 6 wks of radiation - then 3 more rounds of CMF. I took Arimadex for about 3 years after that. Quit taking because I believed it was making my bones and joints hurt worse than they already did. Today I still have trouble dropping words or can't remember, I also have trouble with balance, it's like I'm drunk. I won't even walk around the block alone. I have checked out "ChemoBrain" on line, if you haven't, do so. I saw a Neuroligist last year trying to get to the bottom of this feeling. Had a brain MRI, they thought that perhaps it was my inner ear. Crystals out of alaignment - not so. My neurologist and my surgeon, whom I just saw for annual check up, agree that Chemobrain is real, but I don't think they know what to do about it. Post Chemotherapy Cognitive Impairment (PCCI).

bumping up ...
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Not quite to the same extent
    Not quite to the same extent as you but then I didn't have to take tamoxifen. I am a year and half out from chemo and 6 months done from treatment (herceptin). It has gotten better for me but I do still forget words, feel a little lost in conversation, have a hard time understanding what I read. I also do word, math, brain games and take supplements as it has been rather scary. I have noticed in the past couple of months that I have more better days, can actually make an intelligent constribution at work and can remember to follow through with things.

I am not sure how much is chemo and treatment and how much is hormonal as I have been forced into early menapause as most of us have. I joke about it a lot so we all laugh about it, it brings more of a lightness to a sad situation.

Really hope it gets better for you and I would recommend keep doing what you are doing, brain games and supplements.
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Can't believe it either....
    I say the wrong words or add a letter or change one (not meaning to) and remembering things to do ... well that is tuff also. I finished rads in 10-2010. Took arimidex for a short time but to many side effects. I blamed the drug for a long time but I think radiation is more to blame then anything. Doctors don't seem to agree with that. I had 33 treatments and probably needed 0-10. Thank God my cancer was small and the lumpectomy got it all. Wish the doctors knew more and could help us all better.

My prayers are with all of You (us), Diana