Need WBC count advise.

keystone
keystone Member Posts: 134 Member
My husband ended his 5FU 6 months ago. He had issues with a drop in his WBC counts. He took Neupogen for the last two months of treatments. The Neupogen substantially raised his counts over 15. Had one of his first blood tests today and his WBC count was only 2.7. Has anyone else experienced this low of counts 6 months after chemo? If so what was the cause? The possitive his CEA was only .4!!!!!! Yay Stephanie

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Treatments
    Yes, mine are still below normal and sent you a PM. My last 3 treatments my husband had to inject me with something (can't remember the name) to boost my counts too. It worked just long enough to get treatment but fell right back down. Did you husband have colon or rectal cancer? Great news on the CEA. Hope he is doing better.

Kim
  • keystone
    keystone Member Posts: 134 Member

Treatments
    Yes, mine are still below normal and sent you a PM. My last 3 treatments my husband had to inject me with something (can't remember the name) to boost my counts too. It worked just long enough to get treatment but fell right back down. Did you husband have colon or rectal cancer? Great news on the CEA. Hope he is doing better.

Kim

Thanks for the PM! Yes he
    Thanks for the PM! Yes he had rectal and he had the radiation. He also has hip pain so this makes sense. His RBC and platlets are both in the normal range but the low end. Stephanie
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Low WBC
    Howdy Stephanie,

A few months after I first started on chemo, my WBC crashed down to 1.4 and I ended up spending what was supposed to be a romantic weekend in the hospital. I've had to stop treatment a couple of times due to low WBC, but for now it's hanging in there at 5.2 (it was 3.8 two weeks before.) I guess there's no supplements or foods to eat to help boost it up, so all we can do is try to avoid situations that might get us sick.

Doc
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    Hi
    Yes, I had my WBCs drop dramatically during tx, and after tx. I needed to self-inject a form of Neupogin twice a day for a month.
    Didn't like doing it, but it worked, and in the end, that's what mattered.
    Hope you get some answers soon.
    Take care~
    TommyCat
    (Dx 2009 Stage 3 rectal cancer. Currently NED)
  • Minnesotagirl
    Minnesotagirl Member Posts: 141
    WBC counts
    At 9 months post chemo my blood work shows my WBC still low at 3.6. My oncologist states that is normal after chemo and it can take the body some time to bring those up to the normal range. I too have good CEA markers and am not anemic anymore as previously diagnosed. Stay healthy by eating well, exercise and getting enough sleep at night and most of all, avoid "sick" people if possible. Good luck and blessings to you from Minnesota.

"Minnie"
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member

WBC counts
    At 9 months post chemo my blood work shows my WBC still low at 3.6. My oncologist states that is normal after chemo and it can take the body some time to bring those up to the normal range. I too have good CEA markers and am not anemic anymore as previously diagnosed. Stay healthy by eating well, exercise and getting enough sleep at night and most of all, avoid "sick" people if possible. Good luck and blessings to you from Minnesota.

"Minnie"

Maybe check on Livestrong
    Maybe check on Livestrong or Natural News.com I've seen things on there, like Kale etc. that are supposed to help the immune system.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    smokeyjoe said:

Maybe check on Livestrong
    Maybe check on Livestrong or Natural News.com I've seen things on there, like Kale etc. that are supposed to help the immune system.

patience for me
    Been. Hoping to improve my wbc as well, over a year since finished. 12 cycles folfox .
    Tried lots of supplements, suspect root cause of my issue is heavy metal toxicity.
    Healing takes time.

I am Giving chlorella a try at present it reads well.

Hugs,
    Pete

Ps I am visualising lots of wbc in my meditation