Liver Biopsy

Cathleen Mary
Cathleen Mary Member Posts: 827 Member
Last week, I had an MRI of my liver to address elevated LFTs and CEA. MRI revealed a small spot and now onc and GI want a liver biopsy. Could someone tell me what that is like? I am in the "thinking about it" mode and know I must move forward. I am stage II, almost 3 years out. There is nothing like info from people who have been there. Thanks so much.

Cathleen Mary

Comments

• jjaj133
    jjaj133 Member Posts: 867 Member
    Hi Cathleen Mary, I had one
    Hi Cathleen Mary, I had one years ago.I wish i remembered the details. They gave me a sedative and and i layed on the table and watched the monitor. It was pretty cool actually. I dont remember hurting. I think i just felt tender after, like a bruise,. There was probably a needle to numb me before putting in the needle for the biopsy. What i can tell you is if it was awful,. I would remember it better.
    Good Luck,
    Judy
  • Cathleen Mary
    jjaj133 said:

Hi Cathleen Mary, I had one
    Hi Cathleen Mary, I had one years ago.I wish i remembered the details. They gave me a sedative and and i layed on the table and watched the monitor. It was pretty cool actually. I dont remember hurting. I think i just felt tender after, like a bruise,. There was probably a needle to numb me before putting in the needle for the biopsy. What i can tell you is if it was awful,. I would remember it better.
    Good Luck,
    Judy

Thank. You

Judy,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Everyone on this board has had a more challenging time of it than I have; therefore,I hesitate to ask for help for something that has become routine to many. Your kind response was both helpful and made me laugh...you would remember if it was a bad experience.

Thanks so much.
    Cathleen Mary
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member

Thank. You

Judy,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Everyone on this board has had a more challenging time of it than I have; therefore,I hesitate to ask for help for something that has become routine to many. Your kind response was both helpful and made me laugh...you would remember if it was a bad experience.

Thanks so much.
    Cathleen Mary

Dear Cathleen Mary
    I can't comment on your question, but did want to make sure you understand that you should not hesitate to ask for help here.

Nothing is routine about having cancer, so all questions are good to ask.

Please don't hesitate to ask anything you wonder about, as I am sure someone here will be glad to try to answer.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Hi Cathleen:
    George has had this twice. His was a CT guided needle biopsy. Check into hospital. IV put in. He had IV sedation if memory serves. Then using a CT they guide a needle into the area, get the sample, pull out the needle, put on a bandaid and send you to recovery. No stitches. You have to remain in recovery for a bit so they can monitor your heart and insure there is no bleeding. After a couple hours of montoring you are sent home. George experienced no pain, cramping or anything like that. The sample is then sent to pathology. Since you had sedation you should rest and take it easy for the rest of the day. Lots of waiting around but the procedure itself didn't take long.

Hope this helps.

Take care - Tina
  • SisterSledge
    SisterSledge Member Posts: 332 Member
    hi Cathleen
    I had my liver biopsy last year and it was much like Tina described...not too much of an ordeal and definitely good to have the information it can provide.
    Janine
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member

hi Cathleen
    I had my liver biopsy last year and it was much like Tina described...not too much of an ordeal and definitely good to have the information it can provide.
    Janine

Hi Cathleen
    sorry no help from this quarter either.....have never had a liver biopsy. I want to repeat what others say.....do NOT hesitate for one second to ask....we are all marching along the path together....some further along than others. there is no question too minor to ask.

all the very very best.....hope it goes well..

maggie
  • Cathleen Mary
    maglets said:

Hi Cathleen
    sorry no help from this quarter either.....have never had a liver biopsy. I want to repeat what others say.....do NOT hesitate for one second to ask....we are all marching along the path together....some further along than others. there is no question too minor to ask.

all the very very best.....hope it goes well..

maggie

Thanks, one and all

Thank you for the encouragement and helpful info, This gives me the courage to schedule the biopsy. I really appreciate the wisdom and generosity of this board!! I'll let you know how I make out. Prayers and all good thoughts welcome.

Cathleen Mary
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Biopsy
    I had a liver biopsy shortly after my dx. I was pretty much out of it for the procedure, but I do remember waking up at one point and the doc was moving the needle up and down. I was going to ask if he'd struck oil yet, but then I was out again. Afterwards, I was a bit sore for a day or two like I'd been punched in the lower chest pretty hard. The liver does not have nerve endings in itself, so you'll only feel anything in the muscle. Overall it's not so bad.