More about MuGuard.........

phrannie51
phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
My Oncologist set me up for a presciption, so today I got a call from Onco Source. She said my insurance would cover all but $350.....PER MONTH! I gasped....and before I could say a word, she said "we have patient help with costs"....Can you do $100 a month :)....I said yessiree....I can. So while it is very expensive, they jump in and help out before you can gasp twice.

MuGuard is fabulous stuff, as long as you get to mouth sores before they start or just barely started.

p

Comments

• Tonsil Dad
    Tonsil Dad Member Posts: 488
    MuGard.
    You should of gasped twice Phrannie, I got them down to $60.......

God bless
    Tonsil Dad,

Dan.
  • phrannie51

MuGard.
    You should of gasped twice Phrannie, I got them down to $60.......

God bless
    Tonsil Dad,

Dan.

LOL....that might have worked, too....
    she was so fast to drop it $200+ bucks, one more squeek and I might have dropped it another 50%.

p
  • Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532

LOL....that might have worked, too....
    she was so fast to drop it $200+ bucks, one more squeek and I might have dropped it another 50%.

p

Congrats on a better supply!
    My radiation oncologist said he's considering making it a required part of treatment based on my results with it. I have oral mucositis, but it doesn't hurt except back where I wasn't letting the MuGard reach it because it made me gag (my cancer was right around the uvula, unfortunately).

I also realized I wasn't rinsing with it long enough--I was going about 20 seconds when I was supposed to use it for a minute or longer. So now I'm rinsing the full length, letting it "soak" on my uvula so I don't gag, then swallowing to get some coverage in my throat.

I do think it's making a HUGE difference. I'm still only taking one 5/50 Vicodin (meaning it is mostly Tylenol) every 6 hours or so, mid-way through week 5.

My doctor said the other patient tried it for a week at the start of treatment and stopped because he didn't like the taste and "couldn't take it." I blurted out, "I don't care if I like it." LOL!
  • phrannie51
    Laralyn said:

Congrats on a better supply!
    My radiation oncologist said he's considering making it a required part of treatment based on my results with it. I have oral mucositis, but it doesn't hurt except back where I wasn't letting the MuGard reach it because it made me gag (my cancer was right around the uvula, unfortunately).

I also realized I wasn't rinsing with it long enough--I was going about 20 seconds when I was supposed to use it for a minute or longer. So now I'm rinsing the full length, letting it "soak" on my uvula so I don't gag, then swallowing to get some coverage in my throat.

I do think it's making a HUGE difference. I'm still only taking one 5/50 Vicodin (meaning it is mostly Tylenol) every 6 hours or so, mid-way through week 5.

My doctor said the other patient tried it for a week at the start of treatment and stopped because he didn't like the taste and "couldn't take it." I blurted out, "I don't care if I like it." LOL!

It is pretty nasty in the taste department.....
    but it works so well, what the heck....and it only tastes nasty for a few seconds...the thing is IT WORKS so darn well....I haven't had a single sore since I started using it.

p
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member

It is pretty nasty in the taste department.....
    but it works so well, what the heck....and it only tastes nasty for a few seconds...the thing is IT WORKS so darn well....I haven't had a single sore since I started using it.

p

Great Info
    Really and truly is, Phrannie. That is one of the two big reasons for this forum's existence. Excellent. Now, if I could travel back in time to ask my rad Dr about Mugard...Hope the Mugard is listed in the Superthread.

kcass
  • Sam999
    Sam999 Member Posts: 319 Member
    Kent Cass said:

Great Info
    Really and truly is, Phrannie. That is one of the two big reasons for this forum's existence. Excellent. Now, if I could travel back in time to ask my rad Dr about Mugard...Hope the Mugard is listed in the Superthread.

kcass

Phrannie,
    I had called

Phrannie,

I had called mugard as Laralyn suggestted and they covered $550 that my insurance did not cover. You may want to give that a try.

I have convinced my doctor to let me use mugard instead of capahasol. She said i am her first patient using mugard! I just started radiation yesterday and will be sure to post my exp in coming weeks.

Sam
  • Laralyn
    Sam999 said:

Phrannie,
    I had called

Phrannie,

I had called mugard as Laralyn suggestted and they covered $550 that my insurance did not cover. You may want to give that a try.

I have convinced my doctor to let me use mugard instead of capahasol. She said i am her first patient using mugard! I just started radiation yesterday and will be sure to post my exp in coming weeks.

Sam

The more we get the word out, the better!
    It's still working well for me, especially since I started swishing it around longer than a full minute. The only place it's not reaching is around my uvula, so I'm trying to tip my head back and let it sit there for 15 seconds, then swallow.

I can tell from the way my mouth feels that I would have all kinds of sores if I weren't using it. In fact, I think the sores are there--the MuGard just keeps them from ulcerating and hurting.
  • ditto1
    ditto1 Member Posts: 660
    Laralyn said:

It's still working well for me, especially since I started swishing it around longer than a full minute. The only place it's not reaching is around my uvula, so I'm trying to tip my head back and let it sit there for 15 seconds, then swallow.

I can tell from the way my mouth feels that I would have all kinds of sores if I weren't using it. In fact, I think the sores are there--the MuGard just keeps them from ulcerating and hurting.

We trust our doctors
    but sometimes they can confuse. My wife asked my RAD doc about Mugard and he just frowned even said he chased off the Mugard rep from his office. When we asked why he felt it was overpriced and said you can basically make it yourself, I cannot remember his recipe. After reading your blogs, is it likely my Doc just has it wrong. I have full trust in my friends on this site who are taking these products. Just curious what you think my doctors reasoning might be for not being big on MUGuard and I will recheck on what his home recipe, although is sounded like a salt and water mix. (Dont hold me to that)
  • phrannie51
    Laralyn said:

I have one of those stubborn places, too
    Laralyn....it wants to bubble up into a blister on my lower lip...then I use the MuGuard, and it goes down to nothing...a few hours later up it comes, but the MuGuard keeps it in check. Today is the first morning it's not there waiting...

p
  • phrannie51
    ditto1 said:

We trust our doctors
    but sometimes they can confuse. My wife asked my RAD doc about Mugard and he just frowned even said he chased off the Mugard rep from his office. When we asked why he felt it was overpriced and said you can basically make it yourself, I cannot remember his recipe. After reading your blogs, is it likely my Doc just has it wrong. I have full trust in my friends on this site who are taking these products. Just curious what you think my doctors reasoning might be for not being big on MUGuard and I will recheck on what his home recipe, although is sounded like a salt and water mix. (Dont hold me to that)

Maybe contact the MuGuard site, Ditto....
    that's how Sam did it....it's more that salt and soda mix, for sure. Tell your Dr. that other people....people you KNOW (not actors) are having great luck with it....and that you want it. Tell him they are more than willing to work a price out with the patient...blows all his excuses out of the water.

p
  • Laralyn
    ditto1 said:

We trust our doctors

It's not a salt rinse at all
    MuGard is a kind of polymer that bonds to the tissues in your mouth and protects them. It actually creates a protective layer over your skin. You can feel when the layer is there (over several hours), and you can feel when it starts to wear off and your mouth gets "hot."

It also numbs any sores you already have, as Phrannie mentioned.
  • ditto1
    ditto1 Member Posts: 660

I have one of those stubborn places, too
    Laralyn....it wants to bubble up into a blister on my lower lip...then I use the MuGuard, and it goes down to nothing...a few hours later up it comes, but the MuGuard keeps it in check. Today is the first morning it's not there waiting...

p

Not Actors
    now thats funny. In fairness to the Doc I could have missunderstood his recipe. But either way I will trust your feedback. I asked The other Ditto, if MUGuard was similar to the Alevara Juice the sale at Walmart she did not thank so. Thanks for your replies and Good Morning to both of you, its a beautiful sunny day her in KC
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    ditto1 said:

Not Actors
    now thats funny. In fairness to the Doc I could have missunderstood his recipe. But either way I will trust your feedback. I asked The other Ditto, if MUGuard was similar to the Alevara Juice the sale at Walmart she did not thank so. Thanks for your replies and Good Morning to both of you, its a beautiful sunny day her in KC

I wish I had used this site more.
    Matt, and all others.....I found this site just after my dx and before my treatments began....but my treatmens were 100 miles away in Boise and I stayed in an RV a friend of mine loaned me in the parking lot of the MSTI Clinic (they provided free RV spaces) but I had no internet access the first 2 weeks (had to go get one of the verizon thingies that gave me access) ...and everything was moving so fast, then I was so sick, pain ....I never really got to access this site....

I wish I had of been able to ...the advice and bond they all have is great .....

Now you can't get rid of me :) (darn, I know?)

Tim
  • meaganb
    meaganb Member Posts: 244 Member
    Tim6003 said:

I wish I had used this site more.
    Matt, and all others.....I found this site just after my dx and before my treatments began....but my treatmens were 100 miles away in Boise and I stayed in an RV a friend of mine loaned me in the parking lot of the MSTI Clinic (they provided free RV spaces) but I had no internet access the first 2 weeks (had to go get one of the verizon thingies that gave me access) ...and everything was moving so fast, then I was so sick, pain ....I never really got to access this site....

I wish I had of been able to ...the advice and bond they all have is great .....

Now you can't get rid of me :) (darn, I know?)

Tim

My hubby is picking up a
    My hubby is picking up a sample of this from my RO. I'm glad I'm on this site otherwise I wouldn't have known that it existed. Hopefully this will give me some relief. On another note, I feel like I'm being more proactive in pain management than my Dr. He always gives me what I need after the fact but why wouldn't he mention something like this before treatment?
  • phrannie51
    meaganb said:

My hubby is picking up a
    My hubby is picking up a sample of this from my RO. I'm glad I'm on this site otherwise I wouldn't have known that it existed. Hopefully this will give me some relief. On another note, I feel like I'm being more proactive in pain management than my Dr. He always gives me what I need after the fact but why wouldn't he mention something like this before treatment?

Meagan...if your mouth is really sore
    L-Glutamine will help a lot....once you get the sores under control then use the MuGuard...as it's more of a preventative than a cure.
  • meaganb
    meaganb Member Posts: 244 Member

Meagan...if your mouth is really sore
    L-Glutamine will help a lot....once you get the sores under control then use the MuGuard...as it's more of a preventative than a cure.

Is that a powder or a pill?
    Is that a powder or a pill? How does it work?
  • phrannie51
    meaganb said:

Is that a powder or a pill?
    Is that a powder or a pill? How does it work?

It's a rinse.....
    You use about a teaspoonful....and on existing sores it stings, but that stinging mellows into a blissful numbness....You can swallow it, too...and it'll numb your throat. Be sure to keep it in your mouth for a full minute, at least...doens't taste great, but it works so well, that doesn't matter much.

p