Television Commercials

Options
Kent Cass
Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
Seen the anti-smoking commercials with people that have traches, and some w/altered facial structures? Saw tonight for the first time on TNT. Obviously H&N Folks who are also survivors. Any familiar to anyone?

kcass

Comments

• ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with those
    As they have some legitimacy. It's the constant bombardment of the mesothelioma lawyer fishing for clients and Cancer Centers of America that just drive me insane sometimes. Sometimes you just want an hour in your life without the cancer influence, but it's all tolerable if it saves one life or leads one person to some deserved compensation. It's really my choice to turn the TV on and off.
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    ratface said:

I'm fine with those
    As they have some legitimacy. It's the constant bombardment of the mesothelioma lawyer fishing for clients and Cancer Centers of America that just drive me insane sometimes. Sometimes you just want an hour in your life without the cancer influence, but it's all tolerable if it saves one life or leads one person to some deserved compensation. It's really my choice to turn the TV on and off.

I've seen them
    I've seen quite a few ...and the ones where they lose their legs or fingers due to smoking is scary too.

I think it will save lives.

I tell you one thing...one young guy I work with at the hotels I oversee has started trying to quit smoking due to what he has seen me go through. I did not smoke, but the H&N issues are the same.

Hey Kent and Ratface ....question for you both? What city state do you guys live in? If I may ask? I noticed a lot of folks on the message board don't give their city and state....I'm thinking about asking? Do you think that would be rude?

Thanks,

Tim / Idaho
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    I've seen them...and think they will be effective....
    maybe not for the teenage crowd (still 9 feet tall and bullet proof), but for older smokers, who have told themselves for years to quit, but decide "tomorrow" they'll do it.

After my mom had her laryngetomy, she spoke at the Jr. High, and the highschools to kids about smoking...she felt if she could get one kid to quit, she was doing her job.

p
  • tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I've seen them...and think they will be effective....
    maybe not for the teenage crowd (still 9 feet tall and bullet proof), but for older smokers, who have told themselves for years to quit, but decide "tomorrow" they'll do it.

After my mom had her laryngetomy, she spoke at the Jr. High, and the highschools to kids about smoking...she felt if she could get one kid to quit, she was doing her job.

p

Smoking Ads
    I read in the newspaper about a week or so ago that the new commercials had an effect on smokers. They stated somewhere around a 30% increase in phone calls on how to quit smoking. So I guess they do work. And like was stated earlier, if it saves even one life then it's worth it.

T
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Tim6003 said:

I've seen them
    I've seen quite a few ...and the ones where they lose their legs or fingers due to smoking is scary too.

I think it will save lives.

I tell you one thing...one young guy I work with at the hotels I oversee has started trying to quit smoking due to what he has seen me go through. I did not smoke, but the H&N issues are the same.

Hey Kent and Ratface ....question for you both? What city state do you guys live in? If I may ask? I noticed a lot of folks on the message board don't give their city and state....I'm thinking about asking? Do you think that would be rude?

Thanks,

Tim / Idaho

Hey Tim
    Have you found the "map" yet? It's a google map with all of us and our locations plotted on it. If you can't find it, post a new question asking where it is. It's probably pages and pages down on the forum.

Deb
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I have seen the ads. My
    I have seen the ads. My daughter has tried to quit several times at the urging of husband and children but it never stuck. About a month ago she told me she had quit a week ago and hadn't told anyone. That was about the time I had started to seen the ads. Don't know if the ads were the cause , Jim's cancer or just finally decided to do it for herself but I am happy she did.

Debbie