Surgery day is here

SlowRollin
SlowRollin Member Posts: 75
Well we made it this far. We have 5am check in at MD Anderson and, in a few hours, my wife will be one step closer to cancer free.

We have a double mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders) on the menu, and also getting rid of that awful port...for that we are truly thankful. We had to celebrate Mother's day and my oldest son's 16th birthday last night, since this weekend will be spent in recovery.

Please pray for my beautiful wife and I'll check back when the dust clears.

Tony

Comments

• JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    Best wishes for her and your
    Best wishes for her and your family! Saying a prayer for her now! And yes, please let us know how she's doing. The pink sisters are there in spirit!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Thnking of you and your
    Thnking of you and your family...

HAPPY Birthday to your son...

Denise
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    My thoughts and prayers are
    My thoughts and prayers are with your wife and family and hope every thing comes out okay for her.Live,Laugh&Love
    Hugs Frankie
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

My thoughts and prayers are
    My thoughts and prayers are with your wife and family and hope every thing comes out okay for her.Live,Laugh&Love
    Hugs Frankie

Best...
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.....it's been a long journey...
  • SlowRollin
    MAJW said:

Best...
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.....it's been a long journey...

Thanks folks - we've been deported!
    Surgery went well. Her lymph nodes have always been suspect and the biggest concern for my wife. I know we have to wait a couple of weeks for the pathology report, but the visual inspection of her nodes and the one's removed for sampling all look clear.

When she came to after surgery, all she wanted to know was if her nodes were clear. My poor angel went into surgery expecting the worst. When I told her that, for now, they look clear, she smiled and passed out. First surgery for her, and a big one. She's in a lot of pain, as you'd expect after having both breasts removed - and that lovely port. I can't begin to tell you how much she's hated that port. Not that it wasn't convenient or didn't work great, it did. It was just the constant reminder that we have cancer is what that port brought to the table.

So after spending 13 hrs at MD Anderson sitting in a corner and waiting my turn for updates, I left my mother in law in charge of staring at the wall and came home to sleep a couple of hours and get my boys ready for school tomorrow. It's now almost 2am and I'm heading back into town to get Amy ready to come home...without the tumor! Did I ever tell ya'll how much I hate cancer?

Blessed,

Tony
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537

Surgery went well. Her lymph nodes have always been suspect and the biggest concern for my wife. I know we have to wait a couple of weeks for the pathology report, but the visual inspection of her nodes and the one's removed for sampling all look clear.

When she came to after surgery, all she wanted to know was if her nodes were clear. My poor angel went into surgery expecting the worst. When I told her that, for now, they look clear, she smiled and passed out. First surgery for her, and a big one. She's in a lot of pain, as you'd expect after having both breasts removed - and that lovely port. I can't begin to tell you how much she's hated that port. Not that it wasn't convenient or didn't work great, it did. It was just the constant reminder that we have cancer is what that port brought to the table.

So after spending 13 hrs at MD Anderson sitting in a corner and waiting my turn for updates, I left my mother in law in charge of staring at the wall and came home to sleep a couple of hours and get my boys ready for school tomorrow. It's now almost 2am and I'm heading back into town to get Amy ready to come home...without the tumor! Did I ever tell ya'll how much I hate cancer?

Blessed,

Tony

Tony
    Glad to hear that the surgery went well, and that she has you to be there to help her. You are right it is a big surgery, I am sure that having the nodes clear will also help with her recovery. Best to all of you and happy birthday to your 16 year old.

Prayers,
    Carol
  • eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member

Blessed,

Tony

Surgery complete!!
    Glad to hear surgery went well. I'm sorry Mother's Day has to be spent in recovery, but also kind of a great feeling too. (emotionally not physically) My kids had a walk/run for my husband (also has cancer) and myself last week and the logo on the shirt reads "Keep moving forward"...... As always, all in my prayers.
  • Monicalynn
    Monicalynn Member Posts: 61
    eihtak said:

Surgery complete!!
    Glad to hear surgery went well. I'm sorry Mother's Day has to be spent in recovery, but also kind of a great feeling too. (emotionally not physically) My kids had a walk/run for my husband (also has cancer) and myself last week and the logo on the shirt reads "Keep moving forward"...... As always, all in my prayers.

great news
    great news to hear the surgery went well, have you guys in my thoughts and prayers,
    Monica
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

great news
    great news to hear the surgery went well, have you guys in my thoughts and prayers,
    Monica

Tony ..
    Tumor out of your beloved wife's body -- Good news! Keeping you both in good thoughts
    and prayers regarding the outcome of her 'nodes' report.

Just a few tips: (Been there, Done that)

Make sure your wife, takes pain medication as directed. No need to be a hero and
    take no med's the first few days

Multiple pillows in various, sizes help with sleeping on your back. Some WARRIORS
    find sleeping on a recliner -- a comfort alternative.

Please make sure your wife knows 'how to' milk her drains! So important.

Please have cups, saucers, plates at arm level - as well as re-arranging your fridge for more commonly used items at arm levels. Tide/Downy small container sizes - also at arm level. Reaching up and grabbing heavy items -- will tear your stitches, as well as hurt your arms. Muscles and tissue in breast, as well as arm areas will be cut,moved and sewn back together.

I HATE sponge baths -- so I tried to take a bath ..but hence could not pull myself out of the our spa tub, no muscles or strength in my arms after bilateral mastectomy.. . Not a pretty time, or sight to say the least. So I opted to shower ...My husband removed our shower head, and replaced it with a flex hose type so I could shower maneuvering the flex hose from waist down, as well as place shower water under my arms.

Lastly, please make sure you do your exercises as prescribed by Plastic Surgeon, and Physical Therapist.

Strength, Courage, Hope and Speedy recovery.

Vicki Sam
  • SlowRollin
    VickiSam said:

Tony ..
    Tumor out of your beloved wife's body -- Good news! Keeping you both in good thoughts
    and prayers regarding the outcome of her 'nodes' report.

Just a few tips: (Been there, Done that)

Make sure your wife, takes pain medication as directed. No need to be a hero and
    take no med's the first few days

Multiple pillows in various, sizes help with sleeping on your back. Some WARRIORS
    find sleeping on a recliner -- a comfort alternative.

Please make sure your wife knows 'how to' milk her drains! So important.

Please have cups, saucers, plates at arm level - as well as re-arranging your fridge for more commonly used items at arm levels. Tide/Downy small container sizes - also at arm level. Reaching up and grabbing heavy items -- will tear your stitches, as well as hurt your arms. Muscles and tissue in breast, as well as arm areas will be cut,moved and sewn back together.

I HATE sponge baths -- so I tried to take a bath ..but hence could not pull myself out of the our spa tub, no muscles or strength in my arms after bilateral mastectomy.. . Not a pretty time, or sight to say the least. So I opted to shower ...My husband removed our shower head, and replaced it with a flex hose type so I could shower maneuvering the flex hose from waist down, as well as place shower water under my arms.

Lastly, please make sure you do your exercises as prescribed by Plastic Surgeon, and Physical Therapist.

Strength, Courage, Hope and Speedy recovery.

Vicki Sam

Keep moving forward
    I can buy into that...Baby's having a tough time so far. In a lot of pain and was sick most of the night. I spent some time with the docs this morning and she's doing a little better. Looks like we'll be staying another night. Thanks for the guidance VickiSam, I'm off work for three weeks so I'll be doing the draining, washing, cooking...I know I got the easy part of this gig, no complaints here!
  • ThycaAnne
    ThycaAnne Member Posts: 68

Keep moving forward
    I can buy into that...Baby's having a tough time so far. In a lot of pain and was sick most of the night. I spent some time with the docs this morning and she's doing a little better. Looks like we'll be staying another night. Thanks for the guidance VickiSam, I'm off work for three weeks so I'll be doing the draining, washing, cooking...I know I got the easy part of this gig, no complaints here!

Glad to hear
    Glad to hear she came through the surgery, but hate that's she's been in so much pain. Tell her to take the pain meds!!

Even though you were at MDAnderson for 13 hours--you are in THE best place for all of us cancer patients. (I have 3 days of testing/appointments in July for my 6 months checkup after breast cancer and my ongoing checkups after my thyroid cancer. Already dreading it--but know I have to do it.)

I have added ya'll to my prayer list.

Hugs to you both--

Anne
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    ThycaAnne said:

Glad to hear
    Glad to hear she came through the surgery, but hate that's she's been in so much pain. Tell her to take the pain meds!!

Even though you were at MDAnderson for 13 hours--you are in THE best place for all of us cancer patients. (I have 3 days of testing/appointments in July for my 6 months checkup after breast cancer and my ongoing checkups after my thyroid cancer. Already dreading it--but know I have to do it.)

I have added ya'll to my prayer list.

Hugs to you both--

Anne

Bumping up
    Doing my best to bump up all of yesterday's posts, past those of last night's spammers, so they don't get lost.
  • SlowRollin
    Still here..
    Thanks for all the great advice. We're still here. Amy's pain is just so bad; more than she should have after this many days, so we're staying another night. Tomorrow makes four days. They came in last night and removed half of the saline in her expanders. The remainder was emptied a few hours ago. She can't go home until she can get by without the IV pain meds.

Still not eating either. Drank down a couple of smoothies, apple sauce, but nothing with substance.

Nausea has pretty much gone so the dry heaving has stopped. Something to be thankful for. She's really doing better, in my opinion, just not well enough to get home. Her nurse has contacted a pain management team to figure out what else we can do to get her home.

Other than that, having a great time here...or not.

Night!

T.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

Still here..
    Thanks for all the great advice. We're still here. Amy's pain is just so bad; more than she should have after this many days, so we're staying another night. Tomorrow makes four days. They came in last night and removed half of the saline in her expanders. The remainder was emptied a few hours ago. She can't go home until she can get by without the IV pain meds.

Still not eating either. Drank down a couple of smoothies, apple sauce, but nothing with substance.

Nausea has pretty much gone so the dry heaving has stopped. Something to be thankful for. She's really doing better, in my opinion, just not well enough to get home. Her nurse has contacted a pain management team to figure out what else we can do to get her home.

Other than that, having a great time here...or not.

Night!

T.

So sorry Amy is having such a tough time
    but glad this leg of the journey is behind her nonetheless. I hope they can figure out why she's in so much pain and get it resolved. She certainly didn't have one of the infamous "drive through" mastectomies. Please let her know that she's in our thoughts and prayers as are you and the rest of your family.

I know you'll take good care of her.

Suzanne
  • SlowRollin

So sorry Amy is having such a tough time
    but glad this leg of the journey is behind her nonetheless. I hope they can figure out why she's in so much pain and get it resolved. She certainly didn't have one of the infamous "drive through" mastectomies. Please let her know that she's in our thoughts and prayers as are you and the rest of your family.

I know you'll take good care of her.

Suzanne

We're home!
    Got released last night and tucked away in our own bed, finally.

Eating a bite or two of soup and a smoothie here and there. Amy really hasn't had much of an appetite. I'm worried with all the meds she's taking that the lack of food will cause her more problems.

She's also not moving much. Trying to sleep it off until the pain is bearable. We're taking the pain meds and muscle spasm meds on schedule. Is there anything else I should be doing to help her or are we fine to just stay in bed for a few more days. Our follow up appt. with the plastic surgeon is on this Friday.

Thanks for any guidance you folks can offer.

Tony