mastectomy

katie58
katie58 Member Posts: 1
mastectomy right breast, never have been sick or in hositpal until breast cancer, i am 58 years old, my nerves are shot! any advice out there.

Comments

• ksf56
    ksf56 Member Posts: 202
    I wish you a speedy recovery
    I wish you a speedy recovery and peace of mind! Just remember that the cancer will be out there when the surgery is done! It is nerve wracking going thru all this - the shock of finding out what's happening to you takes a while to ease off. We've all been there.

With prayers and caring!
    Karen
  • LynneC
    LynneC Member Posts: 2
    HANG IN THERE
    Hi Katie:

I had a double mastectomy on March 22, 2012. I, the same as you have never been in the hospital (with the exception of having babies), but don't feel nervous. I had choices but I decided to get a double. Only had cancer in the right breast but I took both off because of some family history. My choice. Be thankful the cancer is OUT and when I had my surgery I don't think I even took pain killers after the second day. Did you get reconstructed? If you would like to talk, please let me know. I have uplifting thoughts and a great story to tell.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    ksf56 said:

I wish you a speedy recovery
    I wish you a speedy recovery and peace of mind! Just remember that the cancer will be out there when the surgery is done! It is nerve wracking going thru all this - the shock of finding out what's happening to you takes a while to ease off. We've all been there.

With prayers and caring!
    Karen

I had a lumpectomy..just
    I had a lumpectomy..just wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery.

Hugs, Debby
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    LynneC said:

HANG IN THERE
    Hi Katie:

I had a double mastectomy on March 22, 2012. I, the same as you have never been in the hospital (with the exception of having babies), but don't feel nervous. I had choices but I decided to get a double. Only had cancer in the right breast but I took both off because of some family history. My choice. Be thankful the cancer is OUT and when I had my surgery I don't think I even took pain killers after the second day. Did you get reconstructed? If you would like to talk, please let me know. I have uplifting thoughts and a great story to tell.

I'm wishing you good luck
    I'm wishing you good luck and sending very gentle hugs. Keep us posted as to the date for your surgery so we can send the pink bus with you, with all of us aboard to support you.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    susie09 said:

I'm wishing you good luck
    I'm wishing you good luck and sending very gentle hugs. Keep us posted as to the date for your surgery so we can send the pink bus with you, with all of us aboard to support you.

A few helpful hints ...
    (Been there, Done that)

First few days will be a blurrrrrrr ---please make sure someone is home to watch
    over you -- if you do NOT stay in the hospital.

Please ask for a script for nausea from your Plastic Surgeon, if possible.

Make sure to take pain medication as directed. No need to be a hero and
    take no med's the first few days.

Multiple pillows in various, sizes help with sleeping on your back. Some WARRIORS
    find sleeping on a recliner -- a comfort alternative.

Please make sure your wife knows 'how to' milk her drains! So important.

Please have cups, saucers, plates at arm level - as well as re-arranging your fridge for more commonly used items at arm levels. Tide/Downy small container sizes - also at arm level. Reaching up and grabbing heavy items -- will tear your stitches, as well as hurt your arms. Muscles and tissue in breast, as well as arm areas will be cut,moved and sewn back together.

I HATE sponge baths -- so I tried to take a bath ..but hence could not pull myself out of the our spa tub, no muscles or strength in my arms after bilateral mastectomy.. . Not a pretty time, or sight to say the least. So I opted to shower ...My husband removed our shower head, and replaced it with a flex hose type so I could shower maneuvering the flex hose from waist down, as well as place shower water under my arms.

Lastly, please make sure you do your exercises as prescribed by Plastic Surgeon, and Physical Therapist.

Strength, Courage, Hope and Speedy recovery.

Vicki Sam