What type of Radiation machine?

Irishgypsie
Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
edited May 2012 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
I'm sure this was brought up before; just thought it may be interesting to see what type of machine everyone is using or has used? Everyone always discusses the different chemos, but they just say how many rad treaments they will recieve. They never say what type of IMRT!
I guess since I'm a nurse I was really interested in the type of machine to get the latest technology!

I used a TomoTherapy machine!

Charles

Comments

• Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    Tomotherapy isn't available at my clinic...
    ...even though my radiation oncologist actually speaks on their behalf!

I'm being treated on a Varian Clinac with IMRT packages added. My doctor did extra mapping to compensate for the lack of a tomotheraphy machine. I have something like 12+ stops to reshape and modulate the beam.
  • osmotar
    osmotar Member Posts: 1,006
    Machine
    I was treated with IMRT machine RapidARC, less time on table, for me 8 mins or less from set-up to finish, and a more precise area of radiation.

Linda
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    osmotar said:

Machine
    I was treated with IMRT machine RapidARC, less time on table, for me 8 mins or less from set-up to finish, and a more precise area of radiation.

Linda

IMRT
    is old hat from the Looks of things. My machine made lots of stops and adjustments and lasted well over twenty minutes. Could be as high as thirty minute sessions with adjustments taking up most of that time. Good to see it changing.
  • tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 728 Member
    ratface said:

IMRT
    is old hat from the Looks of things. My machine made lots of stops and adjustments and lasted well over twenty minutes. Could be as high as thirty minute sessions with adjustments taking up most of that time. Good to see it changing.

Type of Machine
    That was one of my questions when I first met my Rad Onc. I asked if the machine was an IMRT type and he said no, it is the latest one called True Beam. No idea how it worked but he did say it was state of the art and an improvement in targeting the right areas. Sounds like IMRT to me.

If you want to see it, click on my pic and go to expressions.

Tom
  • Mrs. Sarge
    Mrs. Sarge Member Posts: 206 Member

Type of Machine
    That was one of my questions when I first met my Rad Onc. I asked if the machine was an IMRT type and he said no, it is the latest one called True Beam. No idea how it worked but he did say it was state of the art and an improvement in targeting the right areas. Sounds like IMRT to me.

If you want to see it, click on my pic and go to expressions.

Tom

Don't know
    which one mine is....may ask them....I talk to Onc Dr tomorrow. Looks just like yours, tommy. I'm only on day 2 of 28 and already my throat is getting sore, milk tasted funny today!
  • CajunEagle
    CajunEagle Member Posts: 408
    Radiation machine used on me.
    Use a Tomotherapy machine on me. 35 sessions. 31 rotations of the beam around my head, sounding like a bunch of rocks in a 50 gal. barrel drum. Lasted around 14-15 minutes each session, until they played "I'm coming out" by Diana Ross....every single day.

Larry
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Hi, Art
    if you google tomotherapy and go to the wickipedia article, that could be me in the picture.
  • Sam999
    Sam999 Member Posts: 319 Member

Hi, Art
    if you google tomotherapy and go to the wickipedia article, that could be me in the picture.

I missed this important question

I know the machine is IMRT but no other info than that! Now i think it should have found out more!
  • Tonsil Dad
    Tonsil Dad Member Posts: 488
    Sam999 said:

I know the machine is IMRT but no other info than that! Now i think it should have found out more!

machine..
    Like Osmotar I had IMRT with RapidARC, I was on the table
    For about 10 mins total, they took xrays side and top for positioning
    Then the Rads would start for 2 mins then I was done.

God bless
    Tonsil Dad,

Dan.
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Sam999 said:

here is the recommended conversation
    Pat: "what kind of a machine is it?"
    Nuclear Doc: "Well, it is an IMRT machine."
    Pat: "yeah, but exactly what kind of a machine is it?"
    Nuclear Doc: "It is a very good one."
    Pat: "Oh, OK."
  • osmotar
    osmotar Member Posts: 1,006

machine..
    Like Osmotar I had IMRT with RapidARC, I was on the table
    For about 10 mins total, they took xrays side and top for positioning
    Then the Rads would start for 2 mins then I was done.

God bless
    Tonsil Dad,

Dan.

Same here
    Started on the right, went to the left, back to the right and I was done, it took me longer to drive there than the actual treatment.
  • CherriBlossom
    CherriBlossom Member Posts: 44 Member
    I was treated with Varian
    I was treated with Varian IMRT linear accelerator. Doc said it is the best one in the market and I didn't believe him but I was dying so had to use whatever they got.
  • miccmill
    miccmill Member Posts: 248

I was treated with Varian
    I was treated with Varian IMRT linear accelerator. Doc said it is the best one in the market and I didn't believe him but I was dying so had to use whatever they got.

Tomo here too
    Glenn got Tomo also which I'm grateful for. He had a very wide field of coverage because his primary could not be located. I think the precision offered by Tomography enabled his RO to avoid over-radiating his epiglotis.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    IMRT
    Not sure of the specifics...

But in looking at their site now, it says they use Trilogy Linear Accelerator IMRT...

JG