New member - Sharing the history of my mum in this disease

spainmum
spainmum Member Posts: 29
I want to share with all of us the history of my mum in this disease. I found this site in February and since then I’ve been reading yours posts and I’ve learned a lot about this.

My mum is 64 years old and was dx in October’11 through a test of blood in stool that was made on July, but they don’t did the colonoscopy until late September (she don’t have a private insurance and then is Social Security who makes the appointments), after that they made a CT and then told us that she has mets on lungs, liver, peritoneum and retroperitoneum, and that wasn’t possible the surgery of the primary because of that.
The KRAS Test in the colon tumor was mutated. Then they put she on FOLFOX and after 6 rounds, the CT scan done and they said FOLFOX was not effective and that for the KRAS mutated the only another chemo possible was FOLFIRI, they proposed to enter on a Clinical trial and she accepted .

In the clinical trial they made a biopsy of the met of the liver and then the result of the KRAS test of the KRAS was not mutated, then they put her on CETUXIMAB + FOLFIRI (was random who decided this or the new drug). She now is on the third round and we are hoping this chemo will be effective, the next week she has the appointment to make the CT scan.

Comments

• janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    Yes, hoping the best for
    Yes, hoping the best for your mum and that the chemo will work very well. Hope to hear updates. If you have any questions, there is usually someone that can help. Hugs to you both.
  • spainmum
    spainmum Member Posts: 29
    janie1 said:

Yes, hoping the best for
    Yes, hoping the best for your mum and that the chemo will work very well. Hope to hear updates. If you have any questions, there is usually someone that can help. Hugs to you both.

Thanks
    Thanks Janie, I'm so nervous, trying to think positive but sometimes I have the thought, if this chemo neither works?, but I try not to think on this way, hope is what we have.

If this chemo really works, and the lung mets disappear perhaps we could ask about HIPEC, I now here there are some Hospitals where they do this surgery.

Hugs,

Celeste
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Welcome
    Welcome to the group of a great bunch of people. So sorry to hear of your mum's diagnosis. Hoping that this new treatment works for her and good luck to her and upcoming CT scan. Please let us know if you have any questions as they will probably be someone who can answer it.

Kim
  • pebjns
    pebjns Member Posts: 14
    My mom is also currently in
    My mom is also currently in treatment for stage iv colon cancer after being diagnosed in 2009. She has been in a clinical trial since February of this year and is doing well. I hope your mom is doing well and continues to do better.
  • LAF53
    LAF53 Member Posts: 60
    all the best
    Hope the CT scan turns out fine and will pray for your mothers health.
    Lydia