anyone familiar with fentanyl patch???

tammybrook
tammybrook Member Posts: 43
dad has had severe reaction to the fentanyl patch that the dr had increased....didnt realize that fentanyl is a derivative of heroin....love that nobody told us and i had to do my own research...anyway we told them since hes on it hes become completely not there...told them to take him off and continue with the oxys...funny how he went in for an abccess in his neck and where he is now....and no dr picked up on the redness and oozing as an infection....makes you wonder

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Makes One Wonder
    Who is on the drugs!
    Many pain meds are opiate derivatives. That's not a great sign about the infection either.
    Have you considered switching doctors?
  • th_in_canada
    th_in_canada Member Posts: 46
    oxy
    I don't know about the fentanyl patch but I went weird with oxycodone. Now I'm hydromorphone.
  • barbebarb
    barbebarb Member Posts: 464

oxy
    I don't know about the fentanyl patch but I went weird with oxycodone. Now I'm hydromorphone.

It can be addictive?
    I have used lidocaine patches for rib pain.....had lobectomy and thorocotomy. Leave on for 12 hours and off again...
    The doctors should explain more about the drugs..local pharmacists are a good source for questions too.
    Hope your dad finds source of infection and relief soon.
  • Goldie1
    Goldie1 Member Posts: 264 Member
    Yes...
    my husband wore the fentanyl patch (150 MCG) for about 5 months and it did help with his pain. We were told that it is addictive like heroin. When he felt he no longer needed it, he was told that he must gradually decrease the dose, no cold turkey. It wasn't easy and he did suffer from withdraw but he is completely off it now.

Wishing your Dad the best,

Ellen
  • RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    Fentanyl
    Had the patch for a month then another month and a half of lower does so I would not go through withdrawal. My favorite pain killer right in front of deloudid and morphine.
  • RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    Fentanyl
    Had the patch for a month then another month and a half of lower does so I would not go through withdrawal. My favorite pain killer right in front of deloudid and morphine. Great pain killer without the fog.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Just started
    I just started this. I was so nervous/anti about starting (since it's an opiate, etc). But so far so OK. I'm not feeling "high" or too strange. Not getting complete pain relief but definitely some (mine for bone mets). I'm telling myself it's temporary -- till the chemo and radiation kick in. Thanks for the reminder about coming off it gradually....

Tara
  • dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    Pain Management Drug
    I have never used it personally... Never had much pain except during surgeries.. and then they gave me the oxycodone and vicodene..
    My ex used to get the patch from a Pain Management Dr. for a back issue he had.. He used to say it gave him the most relief.. however they are highly addictive and infact they are controlled substance and the pharmacies track the amount you take..
    Good luck.... i hope the pain receeds.