I suddenly had an increase in neuropathy

ksf56
ksf56 Member Posts: 202
I am 3+ months out from my last chemo and I was feeling my neuropathy had decreased since I started Gabapentin a couple of weeks ago but it has gotten worse in the last couple of days. I have slowly increased my dose like I was instructed. I added a pill this morning and we'll see if this helps. The Gabapentin has dramatically improved my sleeping - it had been ages since I slept as well.

Has anyone else had their neuropathy increase suddenly. If so, what helped? The pain can take my breath away - it's a sudden shooting pain in my hands - particularly, my right hand. I've been having a hard time cutting my food and writing. Please help!

Thanks for listening to my venting and your help.

Karen

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I have neuropathy but it has
    I have neuropathy but it has slowly gotten better. I did not tolerate neurontin. I would call my doc.
  • jne66
    jne66 Member Posts: 26
    neuropathy
    same thing happened to me 3 months after chemo stopped particularly in my right hand. it was very painful. sometimes the right hand would go completely numb. wearing the edema pressure garment helped. onocologist wanted me to see neurologist haven't gone it has improved in the last 2 weeks
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I had neuropathy with the
    I had neuropathy with the first chemo, and have it again now with the second. It did go away in between the two, but it took quite a while. I don't do anything to deal with the neuropathy, I just put up with it. I do find it is worse when my lymphedema is acting up, so it makes sense that the LE massage helps.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Margeaux
    Margeaux Member Posts: 84
    Neuropathy
    I got a bad case of neuropathy from Taxotere and was finally put on Gabapentin. I, too noticed an increase in the pain, stabbing, shooting burning pains all the way up my leg and my hands. I read an article in one of the cancer magazines saying that this is due to nerves firing on all cylinders as they are trying to heal. Of course, it was in a scientifically correct language, but this is the way I remember it. The stabbing, burning and shooting pains eventually subsided, although, unfortunately, I still do have neuropathy in both hands and feet. It may take a 1 year or more for symptoms to disappear and for most they will be gone by the end of that time. Good luck to you and hang in there.
    Hugs, M.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Margeaux said:

Neuropathy
    I got a bad case of neuropathy from Taxotere and was finally put on Gabapentin. I, too noticed an increase in the pain, stabbing, shooting burning pains all the way up my leg and my hands. I read an article in one of the cancer magazines saying that this is due to nerves firing on all cylinders as they are trying to heal. Of course, it was in a scientifically correct language, but this is the way I remember it. The stabbing, burning and shooting pains eventually subsided, although, unfortunately, I still do have neuropathy in both hands and feet. It may take a 1 year or more for symptoms to disappear and for most they will be gone by the end of that time. Good luck to you and hang in there.
    Hugs, M.

Did you call your doctor
    Did you call your doctor Karen? I would think the gabapentin should still be helping you with the pain. Post any update.

Hugs, Jan
  • ksf56
    ksf56 Member Posts: 202
    Thanks for your help
    I appreciate all your support! I'm still experiencing the stabbing pain but I can still increase the Gabapentin. I'm upping the dosage tonight before bed. Hopefully it will help. If not I will certainly call my Oncol. I sure hope it doesn't take ages to ease off. I'll let you know what developes.

Karen