Lost Disability - any suggestions for my appeal?

kellyk18
kellyk18 Member Posts: 1
Im looking for ANY help...diagnosed stage IIIa jul2010, lumpectomy jul 2010, 16 weeks of chemo (completed dec 2010)
30 rads (completed May 2011). BRCA 2+ had total hysterectomy. On tamoxifen and suffer horrible side affects, bone & joint pain...have had MASSIVE lover back problems since my first chemo txt...I decided to stop taking narcotic pain meds and my LTD disability has been denied. They stated that since I am no longer taking, I must not be in pain. I am jst abt to go thru appeal, my dr's say I am totally disabled, can't stand/sit for longer than 30 min w/out break. I just lost my job of 15 yrs & my medical & now disability. If ANYONE has any suggestions PLEASE PLEASE help.

Comments

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    LTD
    Been going thru this with me and my hubby. If the LTD status u mention is through former employer, a doc report of disabled should be all you need along with your letter depending on the coverage of the policy. You will have to spend a lifetime on the phone getting to supervisors etc, but the doc report is the bottom line and should work.

If it is govt disability, the doc report should also get you coverage and your state should have free legal support to do this as well as your hospital social services.

That's all I know from my experience, hope it helps.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    I do have suggestions
    and was in a similar situation, appealed and won. Later I returned to work by my choice.
    I will write later to you. I hope being able to help you.
  • Nana C.
    Nana C. Member Posts: 108

I do have suggestions
    and was in a similar situation, appealed and won. Later I returned to work by my choice.
    I will write later to you. I hope being able to help you.

I also was denied
    My doctor is the one who told me to appy and I was denied. Did not appeal, would welcome and suggestions. I have tried working and it did not work out.

Thanks
    Nana
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    tufi000 said:

LTD
    Been going thru this with me and my hubby. If the LTD status u mention is through former employer, a doc report of disabled should be all you need along with your letter depending on the coverage of the policy. You will have to spend a lifetime on the phone getting to supervisors etc, but the doc report is the bottom line and should work.

If it is govt disability, the doc report should also get you coverage and your state should have free legal support to do this as well as your hospital social services.

That's all I know from my experience, hope it helps.

Kelly I hope you com back
    I know it is a very hard situation and I was in it in 2009. I had exactly the same question and came to this site looking for answers.
    Please take the following steps as soon as you can

1. Carefully read your letter of denial/cancellation which should stated the time limit for appeal. Mine was 180 days from the date of cancellation letter.
    2. Obtain/ request your long- term disability insurance policy.
    3. In a simple 1 paragraph letter/fax request copy of your file from your insurance company (the one which cancelled your benefits).
    4. You can start talking to your doctors explaining why you cannot perform your job in legal language “material duty of your occupation”.
    After you received your file and sort out through it, you can find a lawyer or try to write a letter yourself. Remember, no phone call, formal appeal is always a written document.
    If you have any questions, please send a private message tome.
    Good luck and stay strong
    New Flower
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    find an attorney
    A disability attorney should be able to help you with the claim. My step sister was told that they almost always deny the first time. Most people will not appeal.

Good Luck,
    Cindy
  • kjrpcb
    kjrpcb Member Posts: 41
    Disability
    Kelly,if you can tell me what disability you are taking about state disability or SSA/SSI I should be able to help. I have worked for both programs for many years.
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    If it is state good luck.
    If it is state good luck. My first denial said yep your diabled right now but you shoul be better in a year.Hired a lawyer and was still denied. I never wanted to go on it permenantly! I was in treatment for 1 year then a year to recover from the effects. Still have lymphedemia and neuropathy but I want to go to work if I can find some ne that will hire me.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Disability
    I have had bc three times and have lots of residual issues due to it. Twice I attempted to get on disability on my own and was twice denied. The third time I got an attorney and with his assistance was able to state my case with full backing of my doctors and have been able to maintain it (to date I have been reviewed 3 times). I was told to get the following book as a guide and it has served me well.

NOLO'S GUIDE TO SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY *GETTING AND KEEPING YOUR BENEFITS

I have the second addition, there may well be a newer one out there. If funds are an issue I would first check with your library or online resources for this book. I will tell you it is packed with very good information to help guide through the murky waters of obtaining and keeping your benefits.

Best of Luck to you!

RE
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I have never dealt with
    I have never dealt with disability but just but burns me so many people get benefits they really should get , deserve or on the up and up...and then those who are legit and IN NEED can't get...

so sorry..I hope you get some helpul suggestions..

Denise