Here we go again

EveningStar2
EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
For anyone paying attention (and I don't mean that in a mean spirited or whiny way--we all have our own issues) the biopsy for the 2nd was done on the 30th and I got the results: DCIS, again. D**n it! In Jan 2009 I was diagnosed with DCIS had a lumpectomy and 33 rads treatments. Started tamoxifen until I had a pumonary embolism shower in November 2009--stopped that! Same breast close to the original site. I have an appointment for the 8th with the surgeon and the plastic surgeon. I be thinking bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. Feel free to weigh in on that. I'd like to just do implants and be done with it but we shall see what the experts say.

My bright side to this is: at least I will have perkies!

Maureen

Comments

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    UGH!!
    Maureen - So sorry you are dealing with this...AGAIN! I did lumpectomy so I can't comment on the type of reconstruction, but I want you to know you'll be in my prayers. May you receive the best scenario with the pathology report, and may you have a super fast recovery.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Maureen,
    So sorry to hear

Maureen,
    So sorry to hear this news. It is just not waht you or any of us wanted to hear. D**n this beast to heck. I hope that you can follow the line of treatment you want and that you do well with treatments etc. My prayers are with you.
    Again, so sorry.
    Stef
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    fauxma said:

Maureen,
    So sorry to hear

Maureen,
    So sorry to hear this news. It is just not waht you or any of us wanted to hear. D**n this beast to heck. I hope that you can follow the line of treatment you want and that you do well with treatments etc. My prayers are with you.
    Again, so sorry.
    Stef

Maureen sorry to hear your news
    I am really sorry for recurrence. We will pray that it just local and very small.
    As far as your surgery, of course it a very personal decision, however since you cannot have radiation on the same breast again, unilateral mastectomy is a given choice, however bi-lateral is an open question.
    I have had unilateral mastectomy 4 years ago with immediate reconstruction. If I had known 4 years ago what I know about cancer today, I would have chosen bilateral without reconstruction.
    Good luck with your appointment on May 8
    Hugs
  • Lynne Logan
    Lynne Logan Member Posts: 105 Member
    Here we go
    Hi Maureen,
    I can't help but think when I read about recurrences that isn't once enough? My hair is still less than 1/2 inch long. My fingernails are still sore and loose. I just stopped the nasty weeping from rads burn. And I'm due for another mastectomy on Tuesday. On the bright side, at least both sides will match, not perkies, but same is better than unbalanced ;-}
    Lynne
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Hugs~Hugs~Hugs!!!
    oh Maureen I am so sorry you have to go down this path yet again, my heart goes out to you! I did the lumpectomy the first time, the second time it was in the chest wall and sentinel node, third time it was on the "good breast" and at that time I just wanted it all taken with no recon. Because of the lymphedema and how it is tied into my left side, shoulder, neck and breast they harshly suggested I not have that one remove (my surgeon would not do it) so I went with the new infected breast to be removed and did not do recon till 2 years later. I was so happy once all the recon issues were over and done with that I truly wish I had had it done right away. Talk openly with your surgeon and he will help you to make the best decision for you, whatever you decide I wish you nothing but the best with swift treatment that will demolish the attack the beast is attempting. Hang in there we are here for you!!!

Tons of Hugs,

RE
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Bummer
    yup I'd definately want a double masectomy if it was my second time around. Once is quite enough. Trusting fate for non return on the second time around is a whole other matter.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Hi, Maureen. So sorry to
    Hi, Maureen. So sorry to read your news and that you will once again have to deal with this. I didn't have DCIS but IDC. The first time I did lumpectomy, chemo, and rads. When it reared its ugly head one year later, I did the bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. Due to the fact that I had rads on the left breast, I had to do the reconstruction differently and chose a lattisimus dorsi procedure. That is basically where they bring a muscle from your back around to the front to be placed between the implant and your body. That wasn't the end of it for me. Again, one year later I noticed a lump in the incision line. This time it was the beast again but it had also had time to progress to my liver. I don't tell you this to scare you but rather to inform you to make sure even after surgery to continue to check your breasts and report anything out of the ordinary to your docs. Good luck to you and I am sending you my best. (((Hugs)))
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    MyTurnNow said:

Hi, Maureen. So sorry to
    Hi, Maureen. So sorry to read your news and that you will once again have to deal with this. I didn't have DCIS but IDC. The first time I did lumpectomy, chemo, and rads. When it reared its ugly head one year later, I did the bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. Due to the fact that I had rads on the left breast, I had to do the reconstruction differently and chose a lattisimus dorsi procedure. That is basically where they bring a muscle from your back around to the front to be placed between the implant and your body. That wasn't the end of it for me. Again, one year later I noticed a lump in the incision line. This time it was the beast again but it had also had time to progress to my liver. I don't tell you this to scare you but rather to inform you to make sure even after surgery to continue to check your breasts and report anything out of the ordinary to your docs. Good luck to you and I am sending you my best. (((Hugs)))

Hi Maureen
    If I had known what I know now, I would have had a bilateral mastectomy after my second bout of breast cancer. They did a tram flap from my belly for reconstruction 17 years ago. Today the options seem much better. I am so sorry you have to go through this again! What's up with all of getting recurrences???

Hugs

Pam
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Pam5 said:

Hi Maureen
    If I had known what I know now, I would have had a bilateral mastectomy after my second bout of breast cancer. They did a tram flap from my belly for reconstruction 17 years ago. Today the options seem much better. I am so sorry you have to go through this again! What's up with all of getting recurrences???

Hugs

Pam

Hang in there, girl
    What a bummer. To have bc once is bad enough, but having to go through this again so soon just isn't fair. The bilateral mastectomy will give you some piece of mind, and reconstruction following seems to be the best as far as most of the board survivors are concerned. I, too, had a lympectomy, but had eight rounds of TAC chemo, and then 40 rad treatments. I just had my 4th cancerversary, NED so far. However, as most all of us, I stay vigilent on checkups, reporting aches and pains immediately, and generally being a pest to my oncologist. I am so glad you caught this one early, and know you will do well. Keep us posted, and know we will all be there with you at your appointment. Hugs, Judy
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    I had a bil.mastectomy with
    I had a bil.mastectomy with no reconstruction but i was also 67 at the time so i guess it would depend on your age and your decision, am also on Tamoxifen and have three years to go and so far no problems except hot flashes but remember even with mastectomy there is still breast tissue left which means it can come back.Yes you would be perky.
    Hugs Frankie
  • concord
    concord Member Posts: 5
    MyTurnNow said:

Hi, Maureen. So sorry to

here we go again

I am new to the chat rooms. This is my first reply:

I too had recurrence end of March after 13 years. I am going for mastectomy (hopefully)next week after all my tests return. I went to three surgeons for opinions- all recommended mastectomy and would not touch the good breast. I wanted bilateral mastectomy. Two suggested reconstruction- one- no reconstruction at this time but would consider it down the line. I am 70 years old and will opt for no reconstruction. If I was younger- definitely. Who needs another operation but I wanted bilateral-
    thoughts anyone?
    concord
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    HI Maureen
    Boy oh boy .... Once is not enough???? I wish I knew what to say about your decision process. If it were me, I would opt for the mastectomy. I don't think I could do it all over again. But that's me.

Like the others have said, it is a personal choice. Perky DOES sound good to me :)

Prayers and hugs sent your way

xoxo
    Mary
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member

I had a bil.mastectomy with
    I had a bil.mastectomy with no reconstruction but i was also 67 at the time so i guess it would depend on your age and your decision, am also on Tamoxifen and have three years to go and so far no problems except hot flashes but remember even with mastectomy there is still breast tissue left which means it can come back.Yes you would be perky.
    Hugs Frankie

FYI
    A friend of mine just had a reoccurrence also and went for bilateral mastectomy and immediate reconstruction. The team kinda raised an eyebrow at the reconstruction but she dug in. She is 73. She is very happy with the results--I am probably going to have the same team.

Maureen