how do you pick yourself up when chemo doesn't work

have2believe
have2believe Member Posts: 134
Hi there,
After 3 months on taxotere/ docetaxel, we learned that the chemo did not have any effect on the cancer cells and in fact, there was spread. We decided to try this drug because my mom, with distant lymph node mets, had used a lot of f-u and dr wanted to see if a taxane would work. It didn't.

Now, we're going to go back to irinotecan and perhaps another platnum drug (carboplatin). My mom has already done folfox, cisplatin and irinotecan, and xeloda.

Just feeling devastated. I know we're all just trying to be strong for each other but it's hard.

L

Comments

• steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    hang in there
    What does the oncologist want to try? After my scans last month showed mete to the lungs he went back to avistin and 5fu and others I took at the beginning. They are very aggressive so maybe he'll need to back to some that worked before. This cancer stuff is a real tough nut to deal with. Praying that everything works ot. Jeff
  • Lifeisajourney
    Lifeisajourney Member Posts: 216
    I am not sure if the chemo
    would have worked, but after a failed resection for mets to liver, I said no more. I am not recommending this for anyone, just so you know they said 6 mos to 1 year. June 1st is one year and I am still here. I believe the chemo or Sir Spheres or something else would have killed me not the cancer. I am have never been the same since my first round of chemo, in fact, I can't do much do to the toxic reaction, but I am alive, like food, can visit, I feel I made a good decision for me, it is not for everyone. But the thing I miss hearing are there any survivor stories without chemo...I thought I would be gone by now and maybe I will be soon, I wonder every day if this is the one, so this choice is not for the faint of heart, but so far so good...Onc said it has been a slow growing cancer so far. Just wanted to say try surgery or sir spheres if you can, but life can go on without chemo and I DO have cancer..I wish you well with your choices, don't panic yet. Pat
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member

I am not sure if the chemo
    would have worked, but after a failed resection for mets to liver, I said no more. I am not recommending this for anyone, just so you know they said 6 mos to 1 year. June 1st is one year and I am still here. I believe the chemo or Sir Spheres or something else would have killed me not the cancer. I am have never been the same since my first round of chemo, in fact, I can't do much do to the toxic reaction, but I am alive, like food, can visit, I feel I made a good decision for me, it is not for everyone. But the thing I miss hearing are there any survivor stories without chemo...I thought I would be gone by now and maybe I will be soon, I wonder every day if this is the one, so this choice is not for the faint of heart, but so far so good...Onc said it has been a slow growing cancer so far. Just wanted to say try surgery or sir spheres if you can, but life can go on without chemo and I DO have cancer..I wish you well with your choices, don't panic yet. Pat

Pat -
    Pat -

Re:
    "....the thing I miss hearing are there any survivor stories without chemo..."

You're already aware of my story, but for others:

I'm one out of billions upon bilions that have used TCM instead
    of western medicine's chemicals, but probably the only one that
    bothers to post here.

Read my "blog".

Better health to you!

John
  • Lifeisajourney
    John23 said:

Pat -
    Pat -

Re:

bothers to post here.

Read my "blog".

Better health to you!

John

You are right
    you are my hero....I feel like you do about chemo....and I have read your blog. My husband believes he is saving me with his juicing, etc....I WISH I had learned more before I took chemo and who knows,,,,,,I wish they would do a clinical trial with and without chemo for comparison. Every day I think maybe I should have taken chemo, but I truly believe I could not endure. Onc would not even let me take it before resection, felt I would be too weak for surgery....I do believe you are on the right track with TCM.......good health to you also.....Pat
  • thingy45
    thingy45 Member Posts: 632 Member
    John23 said:

Pat -
    Pat -

Re:

bothers to post here.

Read my "blog".

Better health to you!

John

PAT I am also 111B
    Hi Pat, I am also stage 111b and I declined chemo and radiation.
    I have been juicing and eating as healthy as possible. So far so good.
    I feel great, monday my one year CT scan will tell more.
    Hugs, Marjan
  • Lifeisajourney
    thingy45 said:

PAT I am also 111B
    Hi Pat, I am also stage 111b and I declined chemo and radiation.
    I have been juicing and eating as healthy as possible. So far so good.
    I feel great, monday my one year CT scan will tell more.
    Hugs, Marjan

Marjan
    thanks for the shout. Wish I had tried your way originally. I think surgery is important, but I wish I held out on chemo as a choice to see where it went. Good luck on your scan, may it be good..and thanks again, I just had my juice and try to eat much more healthy. I'll be thinking of you.. I had my dx/surgery 12/08. Hugs back, Pat