medi port

Monicalynn
Monicalynn Member Posts: 61
I'm getting my medi port on Monday, anyone have suggestions? I'm right handed so should I get it on the left side or does it really matter

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Port placement
    I had a right mastectomy and about a month later I had my port implanted on my upper left chest just under my collar bone. I was not given a choice on its placement. I am left handed. I never had any trouble at all with range of motion in my left arm or shoulder. The placement of the port should have no effect on your arms as its placement does not involve the shoulder at all. It took a couple of weeks after the port was put in until I really did not notice it at all. I had it in for about 9 months and then had it removed under local anesthetic in the surgeon's office. It was absolutely the right decision to get a port. What with 16 rounds of chemo, at least 16 blood draws, and IV fluids it saved my poor old next to invisible veins from collapse.

Good luck.

IRENE
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Opposite side
    I was not given an option of side I 'wanted' it on - was to be put on left as surgery would be on right. It does not effect your use of hand/arm on the side it's on. They are usually sub-clavian so do not interfer with arm use. My port has been in for. 2 1/2+ yrs (will be in another 2+) and never had any problems with it. I had 4 A/C then surgery and 12 Taxol after. Have never used it for blood draws (well once as I had a blood draw scheduled on the same day as a flush so the RN did the draw when she flushed) as it's so much easier to just hit my viens when needed for a draw. It was used for my 2 cataract surgeries and it is flushed every month.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

Port placement
    I had a right mastectomy and about a month later I had my port implanted on my upper left chest just under my collar bone. I was not given a choice on its placement. I am left handed. I never had any trouble at all with range of motion in my left arm or shoulder. The placement of the port should have no effect on your arms as its placement does not involve the shoulder at all. It took a couple of weeks after the port was put in until I really did not notice it at all. I had it in for about 9 months and then had it removed under local anesthetic in the surgeon's office. It was absolutely the right decision to get a port. What with 16 rounds of chemo, at least 16 blood draws, and IV fluids it saved my poor old next to invisible veins from collapse.

Good luck.

IRENE

Doesn't matter...
    As a rule, it doesn't matter which side the port is implanted....usually it is placed on the right...I've had mine almost 8 weeks...I requested the left side, no problem! I have to admit I was a bit freaked out by the whole thing...didn't need one with my first go round of chemo...mine was done in this super sterile room under conscious sedation...it's turned out to be such a blessing, as most who have one will agree...I had no sutures, I was "super glued"

Before you start your chemo make sure you have a prescription for a numbing agent...you glop it on the port 1-2 hours before hand, cut a square of press and seal and cover it..I also add a few pieces of surgical tape to keep it in place.....you'll barely be able to feel the needle insertion...just a little bit of pressure...no pain....I don't really pay much attention to it any more...

Best wishes to you..
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Rague
    MAJW said:

Doesn't matter...
    As a rule, it doesn't matter which side the port is implanted....usually it is placed on the right...I've had mine almost 8 weeks...I requested the left side, no problem! I have to admit I was a bit freaked out by the whole thing...didn't need one with my first go round of chemo...mine was done in this super sterile room under conscious sedation...it's turned out to be such a blessing, as most who have one will agree...I had no sutures, I was "super glued"

Before you start your chemo make sure you have a prescription for a numbing agent...you glop it on the port 1-2 hours before hand, cut a square of press and seal and cover it..I also add a few pieces of surgical tape to keep it in place.....you'll barely be able to feel the needle insertion...just a little bit of pressure...no pain....I don't really pay much attention to it any more...

Best wishes to you..
    Hugs, Nancy

We're definately all
    We're definately all different. For me, the cream's effect has almost completely worn off by the time it hits an hour after putting on. The max. numbing is between 25 and 40 min.

During chemo, I never had any cream as the Center I went to had numbing spray. Just felt a slight prick but on the last day of Taxol Rads Dr wanted a new CAT scan so walked through the door into the hospital for onne. They wanted to access port for it but had no spray - it HURT! My flushes are done at the local VA Clinic which doesn't have the spray at it so I use cream now.

Susan
  • Monicalynn
    Rague said:

We're definately all
    We're definately all different. For me, the cream's effect has almost completely worn off by the time it hits an hour after putting on. The max. numbing is between 25 and 40 min.

During chemo, I never had any cream as the Center I went to had numbing spray. Just felt a slight prick but on the last day of Taxol Rads Dr wanted a new CAT scan so walked through the door into the hospital for onne. They wanted to access port for it but had no spray - it HURT! My flushes are done at the local VA Clinic which doesn't have the spray at it so I use cream now.

Susan

Thanks
    I had my first session with just a regular iv, next one will be with the port. My masectomy was on the right side and if I opt for reconstruction i'm guessing I won't have a decision as to where they place it. Good to hear that it doens't affect arm use.

It's definately a blessing to have found the board, I read other posts and get a good idea of what to expect. My mother in law is a survivor so it is not all foriegn to me. And today I am going to get a cute short hair cut, maybe a pixie cut but i'll see what the hair dresser can do with my thick hair
  • Rague

Thanks
    I had my first session with just a regular iv, next one will be with the port. My masectomy was on the right side and if I opt for reconstruction i'm guessing I won't have a decision as to where they place it. Good to hear that it doens't affect arm use.

It's definately a blessing to have found the board, I read other posts and get a good idea of what to expect. My mother in law is a survivor so it is not all foriegn to me. And today I am going to get a cute short hair cut, maybe a pixie cut but i'll see what the hair dresser can do with my thick hair

Locks of Love
    If you hair is longer than 10" have it cut as a 'ponytail', put a band around it and send to Locks of Love. They make wigs for children with cancer.

Winyan -The Power Within

Susan
  • Monicalynn
    Rague said:

Locks of Love
    If you hair is longer than 10" have it cut as a 'ponytail', put a band around it and send to Locks of Love. They make wigs for children with cancer.

Winyan -The Power Within

Susan

hair
    It was just barely shoulder length so not quite long enough for locks of love :( But it is a super cute cut :)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Port placement

Good luck.

IRENE

I didn't have one, but,
    I didn't have one, but, wanted to say good luck.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Blondiemomma
    Blondiemomma Member Posts: 41
    Mine's different
    I opted for a port in my inner arm and I have been so pleased with it. I was at a teaching hospital and I had a choice of a wanna-be doctor fresh off the press inserting it in my chest or a nurse practitioner with 15 years experience putting it in my arm using ultrasound. I swim daily and it does not bother me in any way.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Rague said:

Opposite side
    I was not given an option of side I 'wanted' it on - was to be put on left as surgery would be on right. It does not effect your use of hand/arm on the side it's on. They are usually sub-clavian so do not interfer with arm use. My port has been in for. 2 1/2+ yrs (will be in another 2+) and never had any problems with it. I had 4 A/C then surgery and 12 Taxol after. Have never used it for blood draws (well once as I had a blood draw scheduled on the same day as a flush so the RN did the draw when she flushed) as it's so much easier to just hit my viens when needed for a draw. It was used for my 2 cataract surgeries and it is flushed every month.

Susan

Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck!

Hugs, Jan