A Question For You: Has anyone gone to a tanning salon to get a jumpstart on a tan?

Megan M
Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
I haven't used one, but, it seems so many of my friends go and have such a nice tan already that I was thinking about maybe going a few times just to get a jump on a tan.

I just wondered what any of your experience's were if you've gone before or are now.

I've read conflicting stories on whether they are bad for you. I thought if I only went a couple of times if that would hurt me. I don't want cancer again!

Thanks,

Megan

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Never
    I've never been to a tanning salon - don't plan on doing it either. I tan great and spend a lot of time outside anyway (as soon as weather permits it here) so I see no reason to waste money for something artifical that I can get naturally.

A few years after SAD DX, I looked into it as a possible aide to use along with my light box. I didn't find any real documentation that it would help so never bothered. There were some who claimed it would cure just about everything, but nothing proveable. The light emitted is not the same full spectrum that sun light gives.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Are You Kidding?
    I certainly do not mean to offend you, but my first thought upon seeing the subject of this thread was, "Are you kidding?" I have NEVER seen a single thing printed that remotely suggested that going to a tanning salon was good for you. In fact, most dermatologists and oncologists will tell people to severely limit their UV exposure. I realize a person can't completely avoid being outdoors and who would even want to do that? There is a direct causal link between tanning and skin cancer. Why would you purposely subject yourself to that having already had a breast cancer diagnosis? In addition, exposure to UV rays causes the skin to wrinkle and who needs more wrinkles? If you are determined to have a tan perhaps a safer route would be a spray tan.

IRENE
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Tan Skin Is Unhealthy Skin
    http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/entertainment/tipsheet/tanning-booths

NCI Health Information Tip Sheet for Writers:

Artificial Tanning Booths and Cancer

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

Long-term exposure to artificial sources of ultraviolet rays like tanning beds (or to the sun's natural rays) increases both men and women's risk of developing skin cancer. In addition, exposure to tanning salon rays increases damage caused by sunlight because ultraviolet light actually thins the skin, making it less able to heal. Women who use tanning beds more than once a month are 55 percent more likely to develop malignant melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer.

According to the National Cancer Institute, more than one million people are diagnosed with non-melanoma skin cancer in the United States every year. In fact, non-melanoma skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the country. Forty to 50 percent of Americans who live to age 65 will have this form of skin cancer at least once. These are startling statistics for a cancer that can, for the most part, be prevented.

WHO IS AT RISK?

Almost everyone who frequents a tanning salon or exposes themselves to the sun is putting themselves at risk for skin cancer. The risk is greatest for people with fair skin; blonde, red, or light hair; and blue, green, or gray eyes. Artificial tanning can also be more dangerous for those who burn easily, have already been treated for skin cancer, or have a family member who has had skin cancer. In addition, women have a higher risk of contracting skin cancer on their legs, and men have a higher risk of getting it on their backs.

CAN IT BE PREVENTED?

There are various things than one can do to prevent their exposure to artificial sources of ultraviolet rays:
    • Avoid tanning beds and booths
    • Instead of going to a tanning salon, try tanning sprays. In fact, some salons now provide only tanning spray services.
    • Regardless of your exposure to natural or artificial UV rays, conduct a monthly skin self-exam looking for any abnormalities (like bumps or sores that don't heal) or moles that have changed size, color or shape. Be sure to check all areas. Have a friend or family member check your back.
    • Visit your physician or a dermatologist to get annual exams. If caught early skin cancer is now almost 100 percent curable.

THE BOTTOM LINE

Long-term exposure to artificial (or natural) sources of ultraviolet rays increases one's risk of developing skin cancer. However there are alternatives one can take to minimize the risk associated with artificial rays such as using sunless tanning lotions or sprays in concert with regular skin checks by your physician or dermatologist.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
    Cancer Information Service
1-800-4-CANCER
www.cancer.gov

http://www.skincancer.org/healthy-lifestyle/tanning

Tanning is not part of a healthy lifestyle:

A tan, whether you get it on the beach, in a bed, or through incidental exposure, is bad news, any way you acquire it. Tans are caused by harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun or tanning lamps, and if you have one, you’ve sustained skin cell damage.

No matter what you may hear at tanning salons, the cumulative damage caused by UV radiation can lead to premature skin aging (wrinkles, lax skin, brown spots, and more), as well as skin cancer. Indoor ultraviolet (UV) tanners are 74 percent more likely to develop melanoma than those who have never tanned indoors.

For the real facts about the dangers of tanning and how to get a bronzed glow without risking your health, read the tanning information below or visit our Prevention section.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tanning/HQ01487

Question

Tanning beds: Safer than the sun?
    Are tanning beds safer than natural sunlight?

Answer from Lawrence E. Gibson, M.D.

Tanning beds don't offer a safe alternative to natural sunlight. Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation damages your skin, whether the exposure comes from tanning beds or natural sunlight. This damage increases the risk of skin cancer and premature skin aging. In fact, most tanning beds emit mainly UVA rays — which may increase the risk of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.

If you'd like the golden glow of a tan without exposure to damaging UV radiation, consider using a sunless tanning product. Avoid tanning beds, and use a broad-spectrum sunscreen whenever you're outdoors.

I don't want to overwhelm you, so I will stop.

Doris
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    SIROD said:

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

Long-term exposure to artificial sources of ultraviolet rays like tanning beds (or to the sun's natural rays) increases both men and women's risk of developing skin cancer. In addition, exposure to tanning salon rays increases damage caused by sunlight because ultraviolet light actually thins the skin, making it less able to heal. Women who use tanning beds more than once a month are 55 percent more likely to develop malignant melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer.

According to the National Cancer Institute, more than one million people are diagnosed with non-melanoma skin cancer in the United States every year. In fact, non-melanoma skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the country. Forty to 50 percent of Americans who live to age 65 will have this form of skin cancer at least once. These are startling statistics for a cancer that can, for the most part, be prevented.

WHO IS AT RISK?

Almost everyone who frequents a tanning salon or exposes themselves to the sun is putting themselves at risk for skin cancer. The risk is greatest for people with fair skin; blonde, red, or light hair; and blue, green, or gray eyes. Artificial tanning can also be more dangerous for those who burn easily, have already been treated for skin cancer, or have a family member who has had skin cancer. In addition, women have a higher risk of contracting skin cancer on their legs, and men have a higher risk of getting it on their backs.

CAN IT BE PREVENTED?

There are various things than one can do to prevent their exposure to artificial sources of ultraviolet rays:
    • Instead of going to a tanning salon, try tanning sprays. In fact, some salons now provide only tanning spray services.
    • Regardless of your exposure to natural or artificial UV rays, conduct a monthly skin self-exam looking for any abnormalities (like bumps or sores that don't heal) or moles that have changed size, color or shape. Be sure to check all areas. Have a friend or family member check your back.
    • Visit your physician or a dermatologist to get annual exams. If caught early skin cancer is now almost 100 percent curable.

THE BOTTOM LINE

Long-term exposure to artificial (or natural) sources of ultraviolet rays increases one's risk of developing skin cancer. However there are alternatives one can take to minimize the risk associated with artificial rays such as using sunless tanning lotions or sprays in concert with regular skin checks by your physician or dermatologist.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
1-800-4-CANCER
www.cancer.gov

A tan, whether you get it on the beach, in a bed, or through incidental exposure, is bad news, any way you acquire it. Tans are caused by harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun or tanning lamps, and if you have one, you’ve sustained skin cell damage.

No matter what you may hear at tanning salons, the cumulative damage caused by UV radiation can lead to premature skin aging (wrinkles, lax skin, brown spots, and more), as well as skin cancer. Indoor ultraviolet (UV) tanners are 74 percent more likely to develop melanoma than those who have never tanned indoors.

For the real facts about the dangers of tanning and how to get a bronzed glow without risking your health, read the tanning information below or visit our Prevention section.

Question

Tanning beds don't offer a safe alternative to natural sunlight. Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation damages your skin, whether the exposure comes from tanning beds or natural sunlight. This damage increases the risk of skin cancer and premature skin aging. In fact, most tanning beds emit mainly UVA rays — which may increase the risk of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.

If you'd like the golden glow of a tan without exposure to damaging UV radiation, consider using a sunless tanning product. Avoid tanning beds, and use a broad-spectrum sunscreen whenever you're outdoors.

Doris

I've already had breast cancer, don't need skin cancer
    Megan,

I have to say that I'm also firmly in the No Tan, No Way camp. I've already had breast cancer -- for me, it would feel foolish to go looking for another kind of cancer, and everything I've ever read is consistent with Doris' information about tanning under any circumstances.

I totally get how important it is to feel good about how we look, especially after breast cancer treatment. But with so many spray-tanning salons and sunless tanning products at the drugstore, it seems like it isn't too much of a problem to look like a golden goddess and be safe at the same time.

Traci
  • Margeaux
    Margeaux Member Posts: 84
    Tanning Salons
    Megan, the only thing I ever heard about tanning salons is that they greatly contribute to skin cancer, especially Melanoma, the worst kind. Some of us were not meant to be "tanned" and I sure would not risk another cancer. There are skin lotions available that will give you a glow, in fact I use some on my ugly old lady legs.
    Stay healthy, and, if necessary, pale.
    Margeaux
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Margeaux said:

Tanning Salons
    Megan, the only thing I ever heard about tanning salons is that they greatly contribute to skin cancer, especially Melanoma, the worst kind. Some of us were not meant to be "tanned" and I sure would not risk another cancer. There are skin lotions available that will give you a glow, in fact I use some on my ugly old lady legs.
    Margeaux

My friend's story...
    A close Friend baked naked in tanning beds......two years ago she had breast cancer....she went through lumpectomy and radiation...did fine....at her 3 month check up, I went with her...her oncologist checked both breasts and immediately sent her to a dermatologist....she had a melanoma on her breast, her thigh and back...the one on her thigh was stage I.....the one on her breast..caused by tanning naked....she now goes every 3 months to Duke where every inch of her body is checked under a giant magnifying glass...she's had 3 more non melanoma places removed...

She now spray tans herself....tanning beds can be lethal....
    Hugs, Nancy
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    TraciInLA said:

I've already had breast cancer, don't need skin cancer
    Megan,

I have to say that I'm also firmly in the No Tan, No Way camp. I've already had breast cancer -- for me, it would feel foolish to go looking for another kind of cancer, and everything I've ever read is consistent with Doris' information about tanning under any circumstances.

I totally get how important it is to feel good about how we look, especially after breast cancer treatment. But with so many spray-tanning salons and sunless tanning products at the drugstore, it seems like it isn't too much of a problem to look like a golden goddess and be safe at the same time.

Traci

I would say to just get a
    I would say to just get a tan from the sun outside Megan or get the spray tan. You can also buy bronzers that will give you that tan too. Just avoid the tanning salons as they aren't good for you at all.

Have fun in the sun!
  • tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Conflicting info????
    The only positive info I have seen is from people either using them or selling the service. I also reacted to your headline with "This has to be a joke"
    After losing my hair and my ****, can you let vanity kill you? Besides I like my freckles. I don't tan

Sherry
  • tufi000
    SIROD said:

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

WHO IS AT RISK?

CAN IT BE PREVENTED?

THE BOTTOM LINE

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
1-800-4-CANCER
www.cancer.gov

Question

Doris

YES!
    Great job Doris!
  • Megan M
    tufi000 said:

Conflicting info????
    The only positive info I have seen is from people either using them or selling the service. I also reacted to your headline with "This has to be a joke"
    After losing my hair and my ****, can you let vanity kill you? Besides I like my freckles. I don't tan

Sherry

No, this wasn't a joke. I
    No, this wasn't a joke. I was really asking for your opinions. I have never gone to a tanning salon and I won't now for sure.

Like I wrote, some of my friends had gone and looked so nice that I was just wondering, that's all.

We go boating and swimming and I am outside working a lot, so, I will just get my tan the natural way. And, I do wear sunscreen.

Thanks for your responses,

Megan
  • tufi000
    Megan M said:

No, this wasn't a joke. I was really asking for your opinions. I have never gone to a tanning salon and I won't now for sure.

Like I wrote, some of my friends had gone and looked so nice that I was just wondering, that's all.

We go boating and swimming and I am outside working a lot, so, I will just get my tan the natural way. And, I do wear sunscreen.

Megan

Wittle Hat
    Glad you are going to take care, and wear a hat!!!!
    All the best to you

Sherry
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Megan M said:

Megan

I understand how you feel
    I understand how you feel Megan. I also have friends that go tanning and have for years and here I am still pale. LOL

I just get my tan outdoors when I mow and work in my gardens. You will get a tan too, just like I will, just not as quickly.

Enjoy your summer!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Margeaux said:

Tanning Salons
    Margeaux

Tanning salons aren't good
    Tanning salons aren't good for anyone Megan, so, just try something else to get your tan please.

Hugs, Jan
  • missingtexas
    missingtexas Member Posts: 146
    Megan M said:

Megan

Tanning beds are
    Tanning beds are terrible...everything that everybody said above. If I have something going on and I want to look tan, I get spray tanned. The booths are pretty good, but if you find somebody who does airbrushing it looks good and very natural. :)
    Dana
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    My 2 cents worth
    a friend of mine used to tan that way and wound up with stage 4 melanoma. Luckily she survived it but has a huge hole in her back that she likes to show to everybody as a warning not to do what she did. My sister had basil cell carcinoma but luckily it was not life threatening like melanoma. Back in the 70s we were made to feel like we looked "sick" if we were too pale. Now I see so many people my age who look 20 or more years older due to tanning.
  • Megan M
    elm3544 said:

My 2 cents worth
    a friend of mine used to tan that way and wound up with stage 4 melanoma. Luckily she survived it but has a huge hole in her back that she likes to show to everybody as a warning not to do what she did. My sister had basil cell carcinoma but luckily it was not life threatening like melanoma. Back in the 70s we were made to feel like we looked "sick" if we were too pale. Now I see so many people my age who look 20 or more years older due to tanning.

No tanning salon for me ever!
    I am checking into getting a spray tan. Thanks everyone! You are all the best!

Hugs, Megan