Question about fatigue

ivfour
ivfour Member Posts: 49
I was just wondering if any of you have suggestions for fatigue. I am still working full time but it is a definite struggle to get through the day. I have called oncologist for any suggestions too but thought maybe someone here would have some ideas. I have been on votrient 400mg a day and appetite has decreased so decided a good multivitamin,in might help. I am not sure why it took me so long to even think of that one. Anyway, I figured it couldn't hurt. The doctor's nurse did mention an energy pill but they sometimes have a hard time getting insurance to cover it. Have any of you heard of this. My blood work is all good. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    Combating fatigue
    Two thoughts. The first is counter-intuitive (and in a busy life with a fatigue problem you'll probably baulk at the idea) but a modest amount of exercise is energising and keeps your system from getting stuck in a sluggish state of despondency.

The other idea is almost the exact opposite although the two can work together extremely well. If you could schedule in a little time for some form of meditation, e.g. Mindfulness or TM (Transcendental Meditation) or a deep relaxation regimen of some kind, you would find that that little period of deep rest could help lift the fatigue you are feeling.

If you can build in more small healthy snacks to keep your food intake up it would help your energy levels while your appetite remains depressed. I hope the Votrient is doing its job and hang in there and expect things to improve.
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

Combating fatigue
    Two thoughts. The first is counter-intuitive (and in a busy life with a fatigue problem you'll probably baulk at the idea) but a modest amount of exercise is energising and keeps your system from getting stuck in a sluggish state of despondency.

The other idea is almost the exact opposite although the two can work together extremely well. If you could schedule in a little time for some form of meditation, e.g. Mindfulness or TM (Transcendental Meditation) or a deep relaxation regimen of some kind, you would find that that little period of deep rest could help lift the fatigue you are feeling.

If you can build in more small healthy snacks to keep your food intake up it would help your energy levels while your appetite remains depressed. I hope the Votrient is doing its job and hang in there and expect things to improve.

fatigue
    ..I don't have a suggestion for you, but usually the second week after my infusions I am really dragging. This past weekend I did nothing. Even caught myself brushing my teeth with my eyes closed like it was an opportunity for another quick nap. Then yesterday, I did my weight training, ran 3 miles, worked at my mother in laws house, then our house. Changed the brakes on my motorcycle, went for a ride, all before supper...I guess it just comes with the territory until you get used to the effects.
  • Texas_wedge
    foxhd said:

fatigue
    ..I don't have a suggestion for you, but usually the second week after my infusions I am really dragging. This past weekend I did nothing. Even caught myself brushing my teeth with my eyes closed like it was an opportunity for another quick nap. Then yesterday, I did my weight training, ran 3 miles, worked at my mother in laws house, then our house. Changed the brakes on my motorcycle, went for a ride, all before supper...I guess it just comes with the territory until you get used to the effects.

fatigue
    Fox, you're such a rascal! I had to go and lie down and rest as a result of reading about your exploits.
  • Jeff2159
    Jeff2159 Member Posts: 108
    Listen to your Body
    If you are tired, take a nap. You can't go 100% even though I try too.
  • Texas_wedge
    Jeff2159 said:

Listen to your Body
    If you are tired, take a nap. You can't go 100% even though I try too.

Listening
    but I can't hear it - it's drowned out by all the other bodies I'm listening to!
  • ivfour
    ivfour Member Posts: 49

Combating fatigue

Thanks
    I appreciate all of your suggestions and will try smaller meals to help with energy. I had already decided that I should take a few short walks at work because the nursing facility I work at is large enough for a good walk. I am also Very fortunate that I should be able to retire with health insurance within the next six month and work part time for hospice that I have done part time for the last 15 years. I am looking forward to the Texas Statr HOG Rally this weekend and then a trip to North Carolina on our Harley trike the last week of May. I am so very thankful to even be in a position to attempt these trips. My husband is very supportive and drive 99% of the time even though I have my license. Thanks again for your responses.
  • Minnesota Girl
    Minnesota Girl Member Posts: 119
    Vitamins helped me
    I struggled with this after surgery and my doctor recommended vitamin B complex. I am still taking it and it seems to help. I also second Texas Wedge's recommendations on exercise.
  • Texas_wedge

Vitamins helped me
    I struggled with this after surgery and my doctor recommended vitamin B complex. I am still taking it and it seems to help. I also second Texas Wedge's recommendations on exercise.

Fatigue and vitamins
    I've not suffered any fatigue after either of my two recent open surgeries, but then I do take a B complex tablet every day as part of a very healthy diet! Also, plenty of exercise - left hospital 4 weeks ago and today played my first golf for about 5 or 6 weeks - failed to break 90 gross but then it was only about 47 F with a 30 m.p.h. wind so not easy conditions. Will probably work out on my elliptical later but watching World Snooker Champs. at present - no interest over there in pool land, I suppose?