Slow growing Cancer Tumors that mammograms don't reveal

Compromising2
Compromising2 Member Posts: 16
I took annuanl mammograms for the past five years because an abscess left scar tissue. I had biopsies that were benign. Then last year in August test results revealed a 9 centimeters cancer that was not a lump but was flat in my breast. After surgery the pathologist revealed that it was a slow growing cancer that does not show up on mammograms and thats how it manage to go unseen and get so big. I need to know if anyone has experience a simi situation.

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I had lobular that grows in
    I had lobular that grows in layers and doesnt form a lump and did not show up on mammo. dissapointing isnt it, because by the time they find it, it is larger than we would like.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    First Time I Have Heard This One
    I have never heard of a flat tumor. You certainly were diligent in your breast screenings. You mentioned one breast. What about the other breast? Now that they know you had a flat growth, is there a different test that they can do for you on the other breast? What are your options for follow up treatment?

Good luck to you. If you do not have the book, buy it. Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book, 5th Edition. I don't know if the book describes your cancer. My friend who had breast cancer recommended the book to me and I now recommend the book to other women with breast cancer. It contains much information to help you understand your breast cancer. She also has a website.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • Compromising2
    carkris said:

I had lobular that grows in
    I had lobular that grows in layers and doesnt form a lump and did not show up on mammo. dissapointing isnt it, because by the time they find it, it is larger than we would like.

Yes it is disappointing. I
    Yes it is disappointing. I feel that I did everything that I could to prevent me from having breast cancer but I failed. I am preparing for radiation treatments and dealing with the psychological and physical stuff that comes with chemo and surgery. It is really shocked me especially after I had so many benign test results. A ultra sound was done, then a biopsy after almost every mammogram. I am thankful that the Dr. discovered it because I spent a lot of time worrying the whole five years that something just was not right. I did not feel sick I just dreaded mammograms because I always had to wait beyond everyone else which meant that the Dr. saw something but was not sure. I must personally say that I've been surviving with cancer before it was identified and I feel like it still took me by surprise.
  • Compromising2

First Time I Have Heard This One
    I have never heard of a flat tumor. You certainly were diligent in your breast screenings. You mentioned one breast. What about the other breast? Now that they know you had a flat growth, is there a different test that they can do for you on the other breast? What are your options for follow up treatment?

Good luck to you. If you do not have the book, buy it. Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book, 5th Edition. I don't know if the book describes your cancer. My friend who had breast cancer recommended the book to me and I now recommend the book to other women with breast cancer. It contains much information to help you understand your breast cancer. She also has a website.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

Thank you for recommending a
    Thank you for recommending a good resourceful book. I definitely need to learn as much as possible regarding cancer. You have asked some good questions. I am struggling to answer these questions within myself because I need to know the answers. When the Dr. discovered cancer in one breast a spot was also identified in my other breast but it was benign.
    I just had a 6 month mammogram and a MRI on it. Today the Dr. said that the results were negative/good. It appears 6 month mammogram with MRI will be follow-ups.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Thank you for recommending a
    Thank you for recommending a good resourceful book. I definitely need to learn as much as possible regarding cancer. You have asked some good questions. I am struggling to answer these questions within myself because I need to know the answers. When the Dr. discovered cancer in one breast a spot was also identified in my other breast but it was benign.
    I just had a 6 month mammogram and a MRI on it. Today the Dr. said that the results were negative/good. It appears 6 month mammogram with MRI will be follow-ups.

I am so sorry. I have a
    I am so sorry. I have a mammo, ultrasound and a MRI every year. I am glad I do as I figured that with all 3 tests, if there is something there again, it should show up on one of the tests.

Wishing you the best,

Leeza